SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have 2019 XC60 T8 - most of our driving is local, short rides, so we tend to plugin every night, and do most of our driving on battery power, and use Pure driving mode. Loving it, smooth ride, great MPG.

On the weekend we had two instance where there was plenty of juice in the battery, driving on pure mode and yet the engine kicked in and the battery wasn't in use (screen shot attached). We were on a flat surface, and this continued for about a mile before the battery driving finally kicked back in.

Has anyone experience this - could this be related to climate control (we are in SW Florida so it's super hot)? We'll continue to watch but not sure if this might be normal occurrence or indication that something could be wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The computer may decide to run the gas engine maybe. I am not sure if hybrid battery could charge the 12V battery or not. If 12V battery need some charge to run AC or whatever, it could start gas engine. Once engine is started, it runs for a few minutes to warm up before switching to battery.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
If you do a lot of PURE driving, ICE will occasionally run for a short period of time (1 - 2mins). It's normal and part of a self-diagnostic routine.

·
Registered
251 Posts
In my T8 it's usually because I've tipped into the throttle too far, or sped up too close to 75MPH, and the ICE turns on and once it does it insists on warming up for a couple minutes. Kinda annoying, wish that was harder to do in 'Pure' mode...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Same here. On rare occasions the ICE kicks on for no apparent reason then kicks off after a minute of two. It seems like this happens more often when it is cold out than when it is hot but maybe I haven’t had the car long enough to assess properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
102 Posts
If the engine starts up, it will not go back to electric mode until the exhaust emission system is at operating temperature (i.e. a few minutes).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. However, it is always accompanied by a " Stale fuel. Run engine to burn fuel" message . After the engine runs for 5 - 10 miles, it reverts to electric mode. After this happens a few times, it then stays in combustion engine mode permanently until I add a few gallons of gas to the tank. This sequence has happened several times now and is very annoying since I rarely drive more that 15 miles between charges and would like to stay in electric mode fulltime!! Anybody know of a fix for this??

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
"Stale fuel. Run engine to burn fuel"
Your issue is different than the OP's issue - you rarely use ICE and the algorithm thinks your fuel is stale (calculated usage since last fill-up date)

Nothing you can do about either issue. And, you have a 99.9% chance of excessive fuel dilution in your oil with your driving pattern. Better change it every 6 months.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 PHEV T8 Osmium Gray
38 Posts
I'm in the NE US and don't know if this is a cold weather start issue, but with a 2021 XC60 Recharge T8 I am finding that Pure electric mode is unavailable when I first get going. Hybrid is and electric use is available at very low speeds, but anything faster goes to gasoline immediately for a few minutes before electric availability is accessed even though the charge is there.

Is this a cold weather, cold start issue or possible malfunction?

Just to make it more complicated, about 3 minutes into another ride (cold morning), I'm in Hybrid mode and the fuel engine is running with no capacity showing for electric on the right dial and I look to see if Pure mode is available to me and it is and as soon as I chose Pure, the car shows on the dial that the battery is fully charged. It's almost like I had to force it to use electric.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts