SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there my friends, I've already posted a few video bits on the forms here but let's finally go the Full Monty and fully launch our little YouTube channel:

Through a somewhat unplanned set of circumstances the Miss and I have ended up with a 2-Plug-In household, my 2019 XC60 T8 joined by her Audi A3 e-tron, and together we're going to plumb the depths of Plug-In MotorSport Life, from epic road trips and off-roading to Autocrosses and track days and everything in-between. Here's an early peek at a few initial bits of content that'll be published in the coming weeks:

...and if you think 500 miles to Death Valley is a good sized road trip...lol...we're currently slated to drive the roughly 1300 miles to Denver next month, both for work yes (gotta have an excuse) and also to visit the TFL guys in Boulder to do a 'Dude I love my ride' segment for their channel and possibly other stuff...stay tuned.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Love the orange. Is it from Florida or California? We have the XC90 T8 and a Chevy Bolt EV. I look forward to your adventures.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
need to be carrying an Orange with me from now on,lol
come on, baby tricks, don't play when parent is not at home. :)

Now I don't bother trick it any more.

I tried water bottle and it could work for several minutes.
Sometimes the right lane of freeway is a little tilted and PA doesn't disengage after a few minutes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Love the orange. Is it from Florida or California? We have the XC90 T8 and a Chevy Bolt EV. I look forward to your adventures.
LOL, it's just a standard California motel lobby fruit bowl orange :p
Theoretically, a weight that clips on the outside of the wheel would be better, as it would have much more leverage against the axis of rotation, but I really don't want to encourage such things too much... Was just aiming to point out how easy it is to bypass Volvo's (and Tesla's) safety systems and therefore their inadequacy to the task of stopping stupid people from doing stupid things.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
Before I got the XC90 T8 I had an order in for Mitsubishi Outlander Plugin Hybrid. That car gets a few more miles on charge than the XC90. However when you drive it long distance you end up averaging around 25 mpg. People are often surprised but when you think about it a plugin is in between a standard ICE and an EV. Way back when Toyota produced their first plugin Prius it was good for only 11 miles. People complained, however when you take in to consideration what a typical commute is the 11 miles was pretty good. Of course we always want more. The Volt which is being terminated got up to 55 miles per charge. It is now being eliminated as the Bolt goes 238 miles on a charge. My XC90 can get around 28 to 30 mpg on 140 mile freeway trip. As I continue to drive it the mileage continues to drop. Given its size I am pretty happy thus far. My 2015 Toyota Highlander Platinum Hybrid ran pretty much 26 to 29 mpg. It is difficult to extract much more given how heavy our cars are. Until battery technology affords a much lighter and more efficient setup we are kind of stuck I think for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Before I got the XC90 T8 I had an order in for Mitsubishi Outlander Plugin Hybrid. That car gets a few more miles on charge than the XC90. However when you drive it long distance you end up averaging around 25 mpg. People are often surprised but when you think about it a plugin is in between a standard ICE and an EV. Way back when Toyota produced their first plugin Prius it was good for only 11 miles. People complained, however when you take in to consideration what a typical commute is the 11 miles was pretty good. Of course we always want more. The Volt which is being terminated got up to 55 miles per charge. It is now being eliminated as the Bolt goes 238 miles on a charge. My XC90 can get around 28 to 30 mpg on 140 mile freeway trip. As I continue to drive it the mileage continues to drop. Given its size I am pretty happy thus far. My 2015 Toyota Highlander Platinum Hybrid ran pretty much 26 to 29 mpg. It is difficult to extract much more given how heavy our cars are. Until battery technology affords a much lighter and more efficient setup we are kind of stuck I think for the foreseeable future.
So what are you finding in all-electric range with your XC90?
You've obviously had a lot of experience owning EVs and PHEVs... I presume you've seriously considered a Tesla? and also an XC60 T8?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Kudos for the channel.

But spreading tips on how to trick PA is, in my view, misguided. After over 60k miles with SPA XCs, I have become convinced there is a very good reason for PA to constantly require user input. It just isn't that reliable. You might be using water battles, oranges, or wrist weights responsibly and paying attention. But this is flat out dangerous, and it could hurt others. Not the kind of behavior you would expect from a Volvo driver, frankly.

·
Premium Member
1,175 Posts
So what are you finding in all-electric range with your XC90?
You've obviously had a lot of experience owning EVs and PHEVs... I presume you've seriously considered a Tesla? and also an XC60 T8?
Thus far say in a trip of 150 miles I see around 29 mpg. That is without trying for good mpg and driving around 75 to 80 on the freeway. As far as electric only I am around 15 miles. I looked at a XC60 T8 as they were less expensive than the XC90 yet had pretty much the same drivetrain and goodies in the car. It would appear that the XC60 is a much better buy than the XC90. I was concerned that the rear would not accommodate our Great Pyrenees dog. The XC60 T6 is 65.7 inches wide and 65.3 inches tall overall compared to the XC90 which is 65.6 inches wide and 69.9 inches tall. So the taller car took the prize. I would think that the XC60 is a better driver, but I have never actually driven one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts