SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In just about 9 hours the Mrs. and I are hitting the road hard, driving the 1282 miles to Denver Colorado in 2 days flat. Then next week on Wednesday, I'll be heading down to Boulder to visit the TFL Guys to shoot an episode of Dude I Love/Hate My Ride, and then back home again next weekend.

On the way there we're planning to do lunch in Sparks NV at the Recharge Bar & Grill, and then again on Sunday in Rock Springs WY at The Outlaw...why? Both have Tesla Destination chargers, and I... have one of these!

Will try to post some video/pictures from the road if I can, and if anybody in the Denver area wants to grab a beer next week shoot us a note! :beer::beer:

And FWIW, we already dodged one significant bullet just yesterday, so hopefully that clears out all our bad karma...

Will the Teslarati key my truck? Do Teslas...even, have keys? Stay tuned...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Sounds like an interesting trip.

And FWIW, we already dodged one significant bullet just yesterday, so hopefully that clears out all our bad karma...
Road debris can be scary sometimes. Someone in another forum posted his encounter with a large metal buckle portion of a beefy tow hook strap; it dented an add-on rear differential protector (this was in a normal ride height Subaru sedan).

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
JDapter worked great, charged up at a Tesla Destination charger just fine.:

Overnighting in Wendover, and if you know your high speed MotorSports lore then you know this is home of the legendary Bonneville Salt Flats. Made it out there juuuust at sunset and scored some epic pics:

Sadly MPG has been weak...I promised myself that I would drive only 5 over the limit, and that was good for almost 30MPG through the largely 65MPH limited California, but in 80MPH limit Nevada that didn't help much at all lol!! Think I'm averaging a bit over 24MPG total at the moment.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
More Tesla Destination charging, this time in Rock Springs Wyoming, works great and is very fast (2'ish hours, so an hour lunch gives about a 50% charge)

And another glamour shot from Bonneville, this time from the sunrise...

Maintained 5PMH over the limit for the whole 1300 mile trip from Silicon Valley to Denver, and MPG has proved extremely dependent on speed and elevation change...
Across the flat lands in California @70MPH, over 29MPG, can't beat that with a stick.
Up and over the Sierras from Sacramento to Reno, 25MPG (plus used a battery full of juice)
But then sprinting across NV & UT & WY where speed limits are 80MPH, only walked away with about 22MPG.
Lastly the 2 hour drive descending highway 287 from WY into Denver CO area, shedding off 3000 feet of elevation at moderate speeds as it brings us to our destination, 35MPG baby!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great pics as always! I may have to pick up one of those Tesla adapters.

Have you ever tried using Power mode for long distance driving? Seems like it gives pretty good mpg, especially if I switch to pure or hybrid with charge on downhill sections or just pure mode on 55mph or below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What I've found works best for long drives is Pure with the battery held (I use the battery for surface streets or traffic, but soon as at highway cruising speed 'hold' it, and then burn it all when close to arriving at a charger). That gives a lowered air suspension setting but softer ride than Power, unrestrained coasting on even the shortest downhills (Hybrid will always regen a bit, which is less efficient than just coasting), and the 'Eco' AC system setting.

There was even one trip we took recently where the traffic was sooo bad, every time I had a stretch at full 70MPH I recharged the battery, so I would then have juice to crawl along through the next plug of bumper-to-bumper drama. Even though recharging off the ICE is a terrible thing to do, my MPG numbers doing that were pretty damn good! Seems skimming off a little extra gasoline to recharge when rolling on the ICE at full speed is less terrible than using the ICE in bumper-to-bumper traffic. :p

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Maintained 5PMH over the limit for the whole 1300 mile trip from Silicon Valley to Denver, and MPG has proved extremely dependent on speed and elevation change...
Across the flat lands in California @70MPH, over 29MPG, can't beat that with a stick.
Up and over the Sierras from Sacramento to Reno, 25MPG (plus used a battery full of juice)
But then sprinting across NV & UT & WY where speed limits are 80MPH, only walked away with about 22MPG.
Lastly the 2 hour drive descending highway 287 from WY into Denver CO area, shedding off 3000 feet of elevation at moderate speeds as it brings us to our destination, 35MPG baby!
Nice scenery there.

As for the mpg on highways; I wonder if part of the efficiency loss is from the rear spare tire? Maybe a set of panels extending from the roof and sides might make a big difference? Same principle as what tractor semi trailers use at the back of their cargo compartment, with those foldable panels. Maybe there's a way to make it so that it won't affect visibility too much, or just add a rearview camera.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't noticed any MPG difference with the tire on or off, though that's more just my feeling from experience rather than data from back to back testing. Especially with the spoiler at the top of the hatch, I suspect the air behind the XC is just a big turbulent vacuum in which the tire doesn't make any significant difference.

On our old Prius though...lol...with it's tear drop profile and sloped rear hatch, putting a bike rack on the rear plus 2 mountain bikes would literally cut 10MPG off :facepalm:

·
Registered
411 Posts
regarding the Tesla adaptor.....dont' the tesla owners get a bit upset seeing a non-tesla car utilizing their chargers??

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I've been waiting for that to happen myself, but hasn't been an issue (in fact both times I've used the adapter so far there's been zero other cars there anyway).

Such wouldn't be rational, since the Destination Chargers and the electricity to power them are paid for by the retailer who put them there to draw business, just like the free ChargePoint chargers you see at malls or hotels or whatever. And Tesla's come with adapters to use the standard SAE plugs too, so why not the opposite? But that doesn't mean one can't meet a irrational Teslarati punk who's feeling possessive though...they seem like a prickly bunch :p

·
Registered
411 Posts
I've been waiting for that to happen myself, but hasn't been an issue (in fact both times I've used the adapter so far there's been zero other cars there anyway).

Such wouldn't be rational, since the Destination Chargers and the electricity to power them are paid for by the retailer who put them there to draw business, just like the free ChargePoint chargers you see at malls or hotels or whatever. And Tesla's come with adapters to use the standard SAE plus too, so why not the opposite? But that doesn't mean one can't meet a irrational Teslarati punk who's feeling possessive though...they seem like a prickly bunch :p
makes sense...ty

1 - 14 of 14 Posts