SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone - Newbie here. I am ordering my 2013 xc60 tomorrow (my first volvo!!), but I'm still really hung up on whether or not to get a T6 or a 3.2. Is the T6 really worth the extra $2,000? We are a military couple living in Germany at the moment and we have to drive 40 minutes by autobahn to work every day. I'd love something zippy for the autobahn, but we won't be living in germany forever and with the price of gas going the way it is, mpg is very important. Also, we have a Chevy Tahoe V8 back in the states, so will that make up for the lack of the high powered engine in the XC60? We keep our cars for at least 10 years, so I don't want to get something i will regret in a year or 2.

Does anyone have a 3.2 that regrets it? We can't test drive a T6 vs a 3.2, so I can't compare.

we're looking at either a T6 or 3.2 with the premium package, technology package, climate package, BLIS, towbar, xenon headlamps. That's about it. Any thoughts, experiences, gripes, praises, etc would be great. Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
837 Posts
We have a 2012 T6 R-Design, but recently had a FWD 3.2 loaner for a day. While the 3.2 was no rocket in this configuration it wasn't horrible. It downshifted more when I legged it but it really wasn't that bad. It is still a reasonably sized 6 cylinder. Now adding the AWD and additional options could definitely bump of the weight and hurt performance. Last year we originally test drove a 3.2 AWD with several options and I remember that car being a bit more sluggish. Still - it will feel better than most 4 cylinder utes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We have a 2012 T6 R-Design, but recently had a FWD 3.2 loaner for a day. While the 3.2 was no rocket in this configuration it wasn't horrible. It downshifted more when I legged it but it really wasn't that bad. It is still a reasonably sized 6 cylinder. Now adding the AWD and additional options could definitely bump of the weight and hurt performance. Last year we originally test drove a 3.2 AWD with several options and I remember that car being a bit more sluggish. Still - it will feel better than most 4 cylinder utes.
We are getting an AWD, whether 3.2 or T6. Can't survive snowy german winters without it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I struggled with the same decision. Being a piston-head I thought for sure the T6 would be my choice, the power really is laugh-out-loud awesome, and is what initially attracted me to the XC60. However, my family and I feel there is a significant difference in the ride quality (suspension tuning) between the two models. The T6 is simply a lot stiffer, and with the crap condition of the roads we drive on, we opted for the 3.2 and its smoother ride.

We now have about 3000 miles on the car, including a 2000 mile road trip (24mpg), and I'm glad we chose the 3.2. Certain highway maneuvers require a little extra planning (downshifting), but illegal speeds (at least in the US) are easily achieved and maintained. I still find the car to be exciting (enough) to drive, and it tolerates hoonage much better than I expected.

The one thing I was really wishing for on the road trip was the active cruise from the Tech package! Maybe next time, if I can find one.

I too have a V8 Tahoe (2002), the Volvo is its replacement, or would be if I could stand to part with the big beast. Either way, there's really no comparison in driving the two. Either Volvo will walk away from the Tahoe both in acceleration and handling, especially at higher speeds. The Tahoe might appear to jump off the line a little faster with the low end torque, but the weight quickly catches up with it. And let's not even talk about when it comes time to stop.

I think it depends on if you want/need this car to deliver some of the "sports-car" thrills that a powerful engine delivers, and then decide if the ride quality is an issue for you or not.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
597 Posts
We are getting an AWD, whether 3.2 or T6. Can't survive snowy german winters without it.
I was in a similar situation but gated the T6 vs. 3.2 on the need for AWD. Having driven 15K in my 3.2 FWD, I can say I have not needed more power or torque. However with the weight of the AWD and if you also need to use your towing option, you will likely appreciate the additional pulling power. Unless you are leadfooted, I don't believe you'll realize any significant MPG advantage and from my research you are already requiring the option (AWD) that is going to be the biggest reliability risk for a long term purchase. Also unless your packaging is different you are getting 18" wheels instead of the 17" ones as part of that $2K.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hello everyone - Newbie here. I am ordering my 2013 xc60 tomorrow (my first volvo!!), but I'm still really hung up on whether or not to get a T6 or a 3.2. Is the T6 really worth the extra $2,000? We are a military couple living in Germany at the moment and we have to drive 40 minutes by autobahn to work every day. I'd love something zippy for the autobahn, but we won't be living in germany forever and with the price of gas going the way it is, mpg is very important. Also, we have a Chevy Tahoe V8 back in the states, so will that make up for the lack of the high powered engine in the XC60? We keep our cars for at least 10 years, so I don't want to get something i will regret in a year or 2.

Does anyone have a 3.2 that regrets it? We can't test drive a T6 vs a 3.2, so I can't compare.

we're looking at either a T6 or 3.2 with the premium package, technology package, climate package, BLIS, towbar, xenon headlamps. That's about it. Any thoughts, experiences, gripes, praises, etc would be great. Thanks in Advance!
Could you get the D5? that would be the best choice if you could bring it back to the states.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I struggled with the same decision. Being a piston-head I thought for sure the T6 would be my choice, the power really is laugh-out-loud awesome, and is what initially attracted me to the XC60. However, my family and I feel there is a significant difference in the ride quality (suspension tuning) between the two models. The T6 is simply a lot stiffer, and with the crap condition of the roads we drive on, we opted for the 3.2 and its smoother ride.

We now have about 3000 miles on the car, including a 2000 mile road trip (24mpg), and I'm glad we chose the 3.2. Certain highway maneuvers require a little extra planning (downshifting), but illegal speeds (at least in the US) are easily achieved and maintained. I still find the car to be exciting (enough) to drive, and it tolerates hoonage much better than I expected.

The one thing I was really wishing for on the road trip was the active cruise from the Tech package! Maybe next time, if I can find one.

I too have a V8 Tahoe (2002), the Volvo is its replacement, or would be if I could stand to part with the big beast. Either way, there's really no comparison in driving the two. Either Volvo will walk away from the Tahoe both in acceleration and handling, especially at higher speeds. The Tahoe might appear to jump off the line a little faster with the low end torque, but the weight quickly catches up with it. And let's not even talk about when it comes time to stop.

I think it depends on if you want/need this car to deliver some of the "sports-car" thrills that a powerful engine delivers, and then decide if the ride quality is an issue for you or not.

Hope this helps!
Interesting about the ride quality. Based on my research, the front struts are the same part # for a 3.2 FWD and a T6, BUT the springs may be different. Is yours AWD or FWD? Do you have the 17" rims or 18"?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I took OSD on an awd 3.2. Put 4500 miles on it in Europe, through the Alps twice and got it up to 120mp on the autobahn. I regularly drive up to Tahoe and am happy with it. Sometimes starting out on a hill it seems a little sluggish but the manual shifting works really well for those times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interesting about the ride quality. Based on my research, the front struts are the same part # for a 3.2 FWD and a T6, BUT the springs may be different. Is yours AWD or FWD? Do you have the 17" rims or 18"?

AWD 17" wheels. Let me know if you want me to check any part numbers on my car. I'd like to know the exact differences in the suspension components as well.

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
Make sure to go pick up the vehicle in Sweden. I bought my R here back in 2004 and we took the train from Landstuhl up to the port of Kiel and then got on an overnight ferry up to Goteborg. The hotel is great, and it was an awesome trip. We upgraded the train tickets to first-class for around $50 and it was great. I want to say the price was around $300 more than delivery to Germany.

I would get the T6, especially for the autobahn. Just having the ability to merge onto the autobahn quickly is important. We had a Jeep Wrangler here back in 2001 and my wife almost got run off the on-ramp a few times as the acceleration was horrible. Not comparing the 3.2 to the Wrangler, but you won't be disappointed with the T6, but you could have regrets with the 3.2 later.

·
Registered
837 Posts
AWD 17" wheels. Let me know if you want me to check any part numbers on my car. I'd like to know the exact differences in the suspension components as well.
Sure - poke your head under there (best if you turn your driver's side wheel all the way to the left if I remember correctly when checking that side) and see what the part number is on the sticker...like this: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?169983-R-Design-Ride-Quality&p=1874883&viewfull=1#post1874883

I am guessing you will see the same number (31340474) which I saw on a 3.2 FWD w/ 17" rims and a T6 non-RD with 18" rims. So far, the only one I've seen in person that is different is the R-design. The 4C is also obviously different too though (and the struts are twice as expensive as you might imagine).

Thanks - always good to have another data point on this.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Hello. I had the exact question asked 2 months ago here in this forum. After test drive both cars in the dealer, I finally chose the 3.2 FWD instead of T6. :)

T6 indeed had much better power and I could really feel it when I test drove the T6.
For 3.2 FWD, however, the engine noise was much lower than the one in T6...

I am sure that I am not going to tow anything and go off-road with the XC60, so I don't think I really need to extra power.
And I want to get other options that I really want within my budget. So I ended up with the 3.2 FWD.

I would say: Buy something that you believe you can really use it. Then, you should have no regret. :)
Good Luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here's mine, again a 3.2 AWD. The Part # looks the same, there is a different in number above "Made in Slovakia" but it is probably a production run number.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Make sure to go pick up the vehicle in Sweden. I bought my R here back in 2004 and we took the train from Landstuhl up to the port of Kiel and then got on an overnight ferry up to Goteborg. The hotel is great, and it was an awesome trip. We upgraded the train tickets to first-class for around $50 and it was great. I want to say the price was around $300 more than delivery to Germany.

I would get the T6, especially for the autobahn. Just having the ability to merge onto the autobahn quickly is important. We had a Jeep Wrangler here back in 2001 and my wife almost got run off the on-ramp a few times as the acceleration was horrible. Not comparing the 3.2 to the Wrangler, but you won't be disappointed with the T6, but you could have regrets with the 3.2 later.
Car has been ordered and now we wait til June/July. We had to settle on the 3.2 AWD b/c we're really cutting it close with the budget to begin. Since we're currently in the limbo time between 2012 & 2013 models, we don't know how much the pricing will go up when Volvo releases their 2013 price list in the next month or so. Didn't want to be kicked out of our price range if Volvo prices the T6 packages significantly higher than they are right now (we're guaranteed 2012 prices on base and promotional prices, not packages). I really wanted to go to gotenberg, but it wont fit in our timeframe unfortunately. Gigantic bummer, but c'est la vie.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Here's mine, again a 3.2 AWD. The Part # looks the same, there is a different in number above "Made in Slovakia" but it is probably a production run number.

Thanks - much appreciated! Basically, Volvo lists three different "chassis" in their brochures for the U.S.: Touring, Active and Sport. The default is Touring and as best I can tell is the same strut regardless of whether or not it is the 3.2 FWD, 3.2 AWD, or T6 AWD. Active is an option available only on the T6 (non-R-Design) - it includes the 3 position adjustable struts/shocks which "actively" adjust as you drive. Finally, Sport is the stiffer struts/shocks/springs on the R-Design only. Sorry for taking this thread a little off-topic lbrians, and congrats on your purchase!

Any difference in ride quality for any of the cars with the Touring suspension is likely to be be due to (potentially) different springs, overall weight, and wheels and tires (17" for most of the 3.2 cars, and 18" for most of the T6s).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts