SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm considering one of these two as a replacement for my aging and anemic Audi A6 3.2Q. I like both and am posting this same question both here and on Bimmerfest to get the arguement from both boards.

I know that the R-Design has 25 more HP due to tuning, but anyone else consider the XC60 a an option? What drew you to the XC60?

Let me know.

thanks

·
Registered
420 Posts
While not a choice between the XC60 T6 and X3 35i, when we came to replace our '05 XC70 last year our final decision was between the XC60 D5 and the X3 30d (ie diesels). The Audi Q5 was a distant third. As much as we both wanted to stay with Volvo, and even though the X3 cost more, we went with the X3. Not directly relavent to your choice, but the main decider was the engine, the 30d engine just p***es all over the very ordinary Volvo D5 diesel in terms of both performance and fuel economy. There were also secondary reasons. Dynamically the X3 is somewhat better than the XC60 (perhaps an understatement). Ride quality is perhaps better with the Volvo because of the runflat tyres/tires on the BMW. However we've solved this problem by switching out the runflats for conventional tyres on delivery and the ride is as good as our '05 XC70 with little or no sacrifice in handling. Other secondary issues is the much neater application of the electronic parking brake in the BMW which when combined with its auto-hold function has it all over the Volvo. The BMW has a solid blind on the panoramic sunroof compared with the fabric-type blind on the Volvo. In Volvo's favour is that (I suspect) the seats are more comfortable for the long distance drives and I do miss the B-pillar ventilation outlets of the Volvo.

In the end we have a very comfortable SUV which out-performs even a Polstar-enhanced XC60 T6 (in terms of 0-100 km/h times) with fuel economy better than an XC60 D5 diesel. I know you have asked about the T6 and 35i engines, but perhaps a final thought to keep in mind that BMW are releasing the X3 30d in the US later this year I believe.

Tony

·
Registered
365 Posts
Probably a question best answered by you, after plenty of seat time in both.

Have you driven an XC60 R edition with the extra 25 HP? Its pretty quick. Far from a hot rod, but if you have driven other small SUV's and cross-overs, you will appreciate that it moves fairly well, without any turbo lag or whine.

I didnt include the X3 in my recent search, so i cant speak directly to the comparison you make. I had an X3 as a service loaner a number of times during my Bimmer years and was never smitten with them. Visually, they dont do much for my eye.

Of course, as I bought an XC60, I am biased in how I answer. However, as a long time BMW guy, I can tell you that I do not miss the brand. I dont think they are the "driver centric" brand they once were.

As we have had a great experience with our 2010 Volvo XC90, it was enough to make me continue with the brand. I felt like I could get an XC60 R with all the bells and whistles for less than loading up a similar Audi (or MB GLK).

Good luck in the search.

·
Registered
837 Posts
In the search for my wife's next SUV we drove a ton of stuff...including the Q5 2.0t/3.2, and X3 28i (2012 model with the inline 6) and 35i (along with a ton of others). We ended up with a 2012 XC60 R-Design. It was a manager demo and was significantly less than list price which helped. In the end the X3 might be the best of these, but it really comes down to your priority. The really is no perfect vehicle in this segment - search for posts authored by me and you will find a comparison of these.

If I remember correctly, the Q5 was sort of neither here nor there for us - nothing objectionable, but nothing that inspired passion either. The BMW was nice...very nice...and solid as a rock. I was disappointed (and surprised) in the 35i's power delivery as compared to the XC60. I expected a lot more. It might post slightly better numbers than our R-Design, but the power delivery just seemed so much better on the RD (and please note we owned 3 BMWs when we bought the XC60 including my wife's 530i that we traded in).

·
Registered
365 Posts
In the search for my wife's next SUV we drove a ton of stuff...including the Q5 2.0t/3.2, and X3 28i (2012 model with the inline 6) and 35i (along with a ton of others). We ended up with a 2012 XC60 R-Design. It was a manager demo and was significantly less than list price which helped. In the end the X3 might be the best of these, but it really comes down to your priority. The really is no perfect vehicle in this segment - search for posts authored by me and you will find a comparison of these.

If I remember correctly, the Q5 was sort of neither here nor there for us - nothing objectionable, but nothing that inspired passion either. The BMW was nice...very nice...and solid as a rock. I was disappointed (and surprised) in the 35i's power delivery as compared to the XC60. I expected a lot more. It might post slightly better numbers than our R-Design, but the power delivery just seemed so much better on the RD (and please note we owned 3 BMWs when we bought the XC60 including my wife's 530i that we traded in).
The zeroto60.com website suggests X3 35i zips to 60 in 5.4, while other articles on RD showed 5.8 to 6.4. Like you, its all about the 'delivery', which is impressive in the XC60.

·
Registered
30 Posts

I am considering a manager demo. With about 7K mile on it. Sticker price 51K. What would be a fair offering price. Details: MY 2012 XC60 R + climate + BLIS.

THX

·
Registered
365 Posts
I thought this was a good read about the XC60 R edition....

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120301/CARREVIEWS/120309995

As to your question, Ags, that is hard to say. You definitely ought to get a tidy discount for the 7k miles - perhaps even a CPO warranty.

To help with your decision making, I just picked up a brand new, 2012 XC60 R edition, Platinum, Climate (no bliss). MSRP was $50,750. I paid $46,500 (after the $1,000 loyalty rebate). And got the August Volvo financing deal where they'll pay $450 of the first four payments, so the net after the financing deal was $44,700 - if that helps.

My personal opinion is that it should be somewhere in the mid $40's.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm going low $40's...and get them to CPO it if you can.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I am considering a manager demo. With about 7K mile on it. Sticker price 51K. What would be a fair offering price. Details: MY 2012 XC60 R + climate + BLIS.

THX
Make sure everyone's clear on the Safe & Secure program for this vehicle. Your warranty period started when the vehicle was put in service(1 year?), so the timeline for that and the S&S program might be a little 'fuzzy'. S&S might be worth more 'money' than the CPO, depending on how long you keep the vehicle. I think they should 'throw in' CPO on any loaner/exec vehicle, but that's just me :) .

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know the new X3 has gone a looong way compared to the 1st edition and the turbo 6 engine is awesome in the 3 series, but I would definetely drive both cars. I had a 06 X3 with the 2.5 inline 6 and I HATED it. The engine was terrible in this heavy suv and it was extremely slow. A gas guzzler and the ride was plain awful, all jumpy and bumpy. the seats where uphostered in plastic (the "sensatec") and they were horrible in warm weather. I only had it for 6 months and sold it, then got a 01 V40 wagon to replace it. The old little Volvo Wagon was much better than the BMW cow.

I have no experience with the XC60. At some point I considered one but when Volvo brought the V60 over in my country, the decision was made for the wagon.

I love other BMWs like the 1 series, X1 and 3 series, but to me the X3 (previous model) was not worthy of the BMW badge at all. Hope the new one is...

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The CPO costs $1,800 or something like that, but it wouldn't spoil S&S would it? You'd have S&S for 5 years / 50,000 and CPO for ... how long is the CPO for these models?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The CPO costs $1,800 or something like that, but it wouldn't spoil S&S would it? You'd have S&S for 5 years / 50,000 and CPO for ... how long is the CPO for these models?
As I see it, CPO is an 'insurance policy' or extended warranty, while S&S actually keeps money in your pocket for every service it covers(rather spendy ones, at that ;) ). I was wondering what S&S plan the demo would fall under. Again, depending on the program and how long the vehicle is kept, S&S for a 5th year vs 4(or three) could be worth at least a few hundred bucks difference.

·
Registered
365 Posts
As I see it, CPO is an 'insurance policy' or extended warranty, while S&S actually keeps money in your pocket for every service it covers(rather spendy ones, at that ;) ). I was wondering what S&S plan the demo would fall under. Again, depending on the program and how long the vehicle is kept, S&S for a 5th year vs 4(or three) could be worth at least a few hundred bucks difference.

Yeah. What he said. :D

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
X3 is getting the 2.0L diesel in a few months. Also 5th gen nav setup and HUD display upgrades. I would hold off and wait until it comes.

While not a screamer like the 3.0 six, it should have plenty of low end grunt with great mileage.

The X3 3.5i IMHO drives, rides, and accelerates better than the XC60 T6 R-Design.

·
Registered
785 Posts
From a safety standpoint Volvo wins - BMW is too inconsistent in IIHS crash test and apparently hasn't taken small overlap collisions seriously. Also for long term durability I wouldn't want to depend on Direct Injection especially from a manufacturer that is not known for reliability. The XC60 has gotten raves for its handling so I wouldn't assume the X3 has an edge in that area either. Plus in magazine road tests I've read many of the modern direct injection engines have not returned the higher mileage that is expected.

·
Registered
420 Posts
X3 is getting the 2.0L diesel in a few months. Also 5th gen nav setup and HUD display upgrades. I would hold off and wait until it comes.

While not a screamer like the 3.0 six, it should have plenty of low end grunt with great mileage.

The X3 3.5i IMHO drives, rides, and accelerates better than the XC60 T6 R-Design.
I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I had understood the US market was getting the X3 30d - ie the 3 litre in-line 6 cylinder diesel - not the 4 cyliner 2 litre 20d. I recall discussion on this a few months ago on BMW forums. If so, as I've siad in a post above, the 30d beats even a Polestar-tuned XC60 T6 on official published 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) times.

Tony

·
Registered
420 Posts
The XC60 has gotten raves for its handling so I wouldn't assume the X3 has an edge in that area either.
I can only assume you haven't actually driven the current model X3, nor read any number of comparison test between the XC60 and X3 (and Q5 for that matter). Yes when it was released the XC60 did get good reviews for its handling for the fairly simple reason that finally Volvo produced a vehicle that could handle and - perhaps more importantly - actually steer. As Volvos go it was a revelation perhaps only surpassed with the release of the new S60. But to suggest the handling is on par with the F25 X3 is somewhat blinkered. And this is coming from someone with a past history of Volvos with a C30 T5 still as our second car.

Tony

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I stand corrected if I'm wrong, but I had understood the US market was getting the X3 30d - ie the 3 litre in-line 6 cylinder diesel - not the 4 cyliner 2 litre 20d. I recall discussion on this a few months ago on BMW forums. If so, as I've siad in a post above, the 30d beats even a Polestar-tuned XC60 T6 on official published 0-100 km/h (0-62 mph) times.

Tony
I thought as much myself but I was at an event hosted by my local BMW dealer principal and what I said is what he said.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Regarding crash test results, they only tell you so much.

The IIHS stats on insurance losses by make and model show that the X3 is a very safe car for its occupants, though slightly less safe than the XC60.

http://www.iihs.org/research/hldi/composite
2009 - 2011, midsize, luxury SUVs

The 3-series sedan is pretty average in terms of safety, but the X3 is decent! Honestly, I would go for the X3 if I didn't prefer Volvo's interior so strongly.

·
Registered
695 Posts
The IIHS data shows the XC60 is MUCH better than the X3. In comprehensive claims, the X3 is much worse than average (score of 129) while the XC60 scores substantially better than average (score of 78) in the luxury SUVs category . The XC60 is ranked as better or substantially better than other luxury SUVs in most categories with all scores average or better. This would indicate insurance costs for the X3 to be much higher than average compared to the XC60 being lower than average. The XC60 has better scores for personal injury, comprehensive, everything. I drive an XC60, but data is data...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts