SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
My sister is looking to purchase either of these. She is trying to see which engine will be more reliable. I did a few searches and the Audi 2.0 seems to have quite a bit of reliability issues while the same search for Volvo T6 didn't really come up with anything. The T6 seems to be a proven design.

If she were to go for the XC60, are there any typical issues she needs to be aware of?

She has test driven both and liked both almost equally, so it will come down to which will likely be more reliable? The Audi 2.0T seems like a newer design so I am thinking it might not be quite as proven as the one of Volvo. The Volvo turbo has been around almost forever :).
Thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The Volvo turbo has been around almost forever :).
Thanks.
No it has not. The current "T6" (which is a 3 litre turbo I6 with a single twin-scroll turbo) is only 4-5 years old. This is a totally different engine from the old 2.9 litre T6 which was used in the older model S80s and XC90s. That T6 was not particularly well regarded. Having said that, the current T6 - apart from ordinary fuel consumption - is well regarded and was listed on Ward's Top 10 engines in 2010 or 2011.

I suspect the Audi 2 litre turbo has been around longer. And yes I have read on Audi forums problems with oil consumption with this engine.

I am somewhat surprised you would be comparing the XC60 T6 with the Q5 2.0TSI - one is a 4-cylinder turbo, the other a 6 cylinder turbo. Probably not a fair comparison. Depending on your timing, it may be worthwhile waiting for Audi to replace the 3.2 non-turbo engine with the highly regarded 3.0litre supercharged engine in the Q5 at some time in the near future. The comparison between the XC60 and the Q5 might then be a little fairer.

Tony

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been in the same boat trying to decide between the two. There are many things to like on both of these models. The XC60 does currently have a lot more get up and go than the 2.0T on the Audi. From off the line acceleration, I think the turbo kicks in at around 1500 rpm vs 2400 in the Audi. Also, passing a car is faster in the Volvo. Lastly, going up hills, the Volvo doesn't seem to have to hunt for gears, it just pulls itself effortlessly.

Now I am agreeing with brissim. I couldn't make a choice at this point between the two, and I am waiting for the MY13's to come out for both. The Audi will get their 3.0T engine, used on a lot of their cars. A very solid engine and specs very similar to the T6. A little less HP and torque than the Volvo, but a lighter car as well. I would wait until then to make your choice. My 2c

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
No it has not. The current "T6" (which is a 3 litre turbo I6 with a single twin-scroll turbo) is only 4-5 years old. This is a totally different engine from the old 2.9 litre T6 which was used in the older model S80s and XC90s. That T6 was not particularly well regarded.

Tony
The previous I6 T6 engine was a very good engine, as well. Its ill-fated pairing with the 4-speed auto is what gave it a bad name.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wonder how reliable the new wave of direct injected engines will be? I have heard that most of them have problems with "coking" on the intake valves because there isn't ever any gasoline and their detergent additives washing them off anymore. So the EGR systems kick all of the oil vapor and condensation into the intake track, and it just gets baked onto the back side of the valves.

It is hard to argue against the added horsepower and MPG's the technology provides, but engine longetivity may have taken a hit.

Maybe that is just a rumor though.

My other thought is that it is pretty hard to justify the 40+k for the audi when the VW Tiguan has the same engine and starts at 23K. In either application, it is a pretty small engine for a 2 ton crossover. Works great in little lightweight applications like GTI's and Jetta's. When your engine is off boost it all comes down to displacement and 2 liters isn't much.

TREX

·
Registered
56 Posts
"I wonder how reliable the new wave of direct injected engines will be? I have heard that most of them have problems with "coking" on the intake valves because there isn't ever any gasoline and their detergent additives washing them off anymore. So the EGR systems kick all of the oil vapor and condensation into the intake track, and it just gets baked onto the back side of the valves."

I am presently on my second car with direct injection. So far, no difference than the older engines. BTW - First car was a 2008 Lexus GS350. Present car, 2010 Lexus ES350.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I am actually a little leery of the direct injection setups too, but much of my leeriness has to do with the fact that I have often purchased pre-owned cars. If you keep a car for 3 years and it is under the manufacturer's warranty the whole time (AND you live reasonably close to a dealer), then in many ways "who cares?" On the other hand, if you buy one outside of the warranty or plan to keep it beyond the warranty period it could be a whole different ball game. I am seeing comments similar to those Trex noted about valve coking, etc. Beyond that, will the high pressure pumps survive long term (see BMW's infamous issues - I think they even made 20/20). The internal engine stuff is my biggest concern though as a DIYer. I removed all of the "regular" injectors on my M5 and sent them off to be cleaned and flow tested...don't think I would have tacked the same job on a DI engine. Sorry for the detour!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all replies.

She ended up buying the red XC60 - R spec. Volvo was trying to get rid of the 2012 models so she got a good deal. She actually likes the Audi more being smoother, more stylish, but the Volvo has more power and more ruggedness for Seattle weather. I also told her that the Volvo will probably be more reliable so that might have made some difference as well.

Personally, I don't really like Audi. Having currently driving a M3, I am more of a BMW and RWD guy.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Congrats on the new Volvo. The Red R Spec is a nice combo.
TREX

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
I looked at both too, amongst others, and it wasn't even close.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts