SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
XC60 T5 MY2018 Fuel Consumption

Yesterday I was surprised, at more than 1/4 of the tanks I was warned: Low fuel level , Distance to empty 80km

For the last six days I have been constantly using the car to drive in city.
I filled up the tank on Sunday and crossed 260km
It turns out that the T5 consumes 17.1 l / 100km in the city

I went to the gas station and filled up the tank, computer show me out so I could drive 350km with a full tank.
To mention my tank is 60l

Volvo declares that the consumption in town 9.4 l / 100km, of course I expect to be around 13-14l / 100km but 17,1l / 100km disaster
I would love to know under what conditions and in what city Volvo received a fuel consumption of 9.4l / 100km

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
The calculation for Distance to Empty is based on recent driving. I don't remember the specific numbers, but it uses the last "x" miles or kilometers. There may also be a time factor.

So since you have driving all city recently, it is using that to make the calculation.

Can't wait to hear how much better your Audi is at calculating DTE.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The calculation for Distance to Empty is based on recent driving. I don't remember the specific numbers, but it uses the last "x" miles or kilometers. There may also be a time factor.

So since you have driving all city recently, it is using that to make the calculation.

When you ask, I will answer it, in the same conditions it consumes 13-14.4l / 100km. I drive Audi daily and have already crossed 17,000km even though the Audi was delivered 3 months after Volvo
Unfortunately I can not show you now because the wife with children went on vacation
Volvo has a normal fuel consumption on the highway and the open road but in town is bad

·
Registered
173 Posts
When I first got my T6 I had horrible mileage - I too had the fuel message appear at 1/4 tank and thought WHAT THE HELL????

Take the car for a 45-60 min drive on the highway and you will be surprised at the updated DTE. My the lowest I got my fuel consumption was down to 8.7L/100 with a DTE on a full tank close to 880km.

Mind you the combined city \ highway ended up being closer to 680-700k - not bad for the T6....

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
Straight out of the owner's manual:

This calculation is based on average fuel con-
sumption during the last 30 km (20 miles) and the amount of fuel remaining in the tank.
When the gauge displays "----", there is not
enough fuel remaining to calculate the remaining
mileage. Refuel as soon as possible.
NOTE
This may vary if your driving style changes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My 2019 XC60 T5 has, over 4500 km since new averaged 10.2
L/100 km. Small city and suburban driving, many short 10 km trips. It hasn’t seen winter yet.
I use a phone app called mileagekeeper and always register each fill up. I always use Costco premium at the same fairly new set of pumps.
I check against the car computer and reset the tm trip meter on each fill up.
I have seen trip consumption as low as 8.3 L/100 on a 200 km trip on expressways at a speed between 130 and 90 km/h... traffic causes the variation,the road is pretty flat.

The worst consumption I have seen between fillups was
12.3 L/100 over a couple of weeks when I did not stray out of the city.

Overall this is about the same as my previous car managed, an Audi Q5 2.0T. So I don’t have a problem with the Volvo’s consumption.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I first got my T6 I had horrible mileage - I too had the fuel message appear at 1/4 tank and thought WHAT THE HELL????

Take the car for a 45-60 min drive on the highway and you will be surprised at the updated DTE. My the lowest I got my fuel consumption was down to 8.7L/100 with a DTE on a full tank close to 880km.

Mind you the combined city \ highway ended up being closer to 680-700k - not bad for the T6....
That's a great result

On DTE with full tank combined city \ highway I got maximum 550km

·
Registered
183 Posts
Yes the T5 is a two tonne car starting and stopping in the city with a consuming 2.0 lt engine. 13lt/100Kms to 14lt/100Km with a heavy foot is logical. Besides on both your photos it shows 14lt/100Km so it is within your expectations.

On the highway it is actually very economical on normal speeds but again with a heavy foot on the accelerator consumptions goes even higher.

My city driving is around 13.4lt/100Kms on average having lows of 8 to 10 on my way to work with less traffic and downhill roads and 16 to 18 on my way back most of the times. Just for your information on my previous 1.4 VW Tiguan AWD with manual gearbox, I have had 13.1lt/100Kms consumption for the same route. So the 13.4 I see now for a much heavier (and better) car makes me very happy and do not consider it an expensive to run vehicle.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Lol

I don’t give a sh1t about the mileage. I certainly love driving it. Fuelly tells me I get around 17.5.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Fuel consumption and DTE are two totally different computations.

The only fuel consumption that matters is actual. How many [gallons] are remaining? What is your standard fuel flow for city, highway? Do the computations for yourself so that you do not run out of fuel. Go back home to compute your fuel economy.

DTE is also an estimate - interesting but still only an estimate.

Like flying an airplane, the pilot better know how much fuel he/she started with and how much is remaining before startup and after shutdown. Imagine telling the FAA that my fuel flow was inaccurate and it caused me to run out of fuel five miles out from the airport.

Anyway, be diligent and consider computing it yourself. Estimates are only estimates and there are many variables to consider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Lol

I don’t give a sh1t about the mileage. I certainly love driving it. Fuelly tells me I get around 17.5.

I don’t give a sh!t about fuel economy either. I do track mine with the Fuelly app out of curiosity , but anything greater than 19mpg is just fantastic for me.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Youse need to learn to drive, or not complain when you drive aggressively.
It's the same deal on S60 forums with someone moaning about 14 mpg while I'm getting 35.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Youse need to learn to drive, or not complain when you drive aggressively.
It's the same deal on S60 forums with someone moaning about 14 mpg while I'm getting 35.
That is certainly the reason, aggressive driving

I'm going to re-enroll in driving school

Thank you for the information

·
Registered
827 Posts
I don’t give a sh!t about fuel economy either. I do track mine with the Fuelly app out of curiosity , but anything greater than 19mpg is just fantastic for me.
How the heck do you manage to get 19mpg on a Hybrid? Do you ever plug it in? LOL. I am getting 44mpg with daily full charging...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
How the heck do you manage to get 19mpg on a Hybrid? Do you ever plug it in? LOL. I am getting 44mpg with daily full charging...
My 2010 XC60 got 19mpg. I’m averaging 40-45mpg with liberal use of Power mode.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts