SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is now complaining about the jiggly ride that her 2010 XC60 has after 58000 miles. My diagnosis is the struts and shocks, since Volvo struts never seem to last much past 50 K. The dealer cost for renewing the shocks is $1700, including new strut mounts and bearings. I can obtain the parts for almost $1000 less, and have done this work with 850s, an S90, and XC70s. Various searches has not led me to any anyone's experience with this (model too new?) or advice specific to the XC60. For instance, how easy is it to remove that cowl cover that goes over the struts? What is the procedure for the rear shocks? Hope that they're not as challenging as an XC70! :facepalm: Does anyone have experience with this or a useful link? Thanks in advance,

Shadrach

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any input from anyone?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I doubt many people work on their own shock systems as special tooling is required.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur and have done this work myself several times. I have 2 spring compressors and have been able to remove the, eh, interesting nuts you find at the top of the strut without any special tools. So far, there have been no injuries. Am I only the one left in the Volvo community foolish enough to tackle this job?

If anyone has any insights specific to the XC60 struts and shocks, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur and have done this work myself several times. I have 2 spring compressors and have been able to remove the, eh, interesting nuts you find at the top of the strut without any special tools. So far, there have been no injuries. Am I only the one left in the Volvo community foolish enough to tackle this job?

If anyone has any insights specific to the XC60 struts and shocks, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
As another dinosaur, I would not hesitate to try it. I have a set of spring compressors that I welded up myself. Most recently, I used it to replace a torn boot on my 2002 RSX-S. Glad to see that there a few of us DIY people left!

I am disappointed that Volvo Struts don't last much past 50K. Our Saabs would go 2 or 3 times that distance.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My wife is now complaining about the jiggly ride that her 2010 XC60 has after 58000 miles. My diagnosis is the struts and shocks, since Volvo struts never seem to last much past 50 K. The dealer cost for renewing the shocks is $1700, including new strut mounts and bearings. I can obtain the parts for almost $1000 less, and have done this work with 850s, an S90, and XC70s. Various searches has not led me to any anyone's experience with this (model too new?) or advice specific to the XC60. For instance, how easy is it to remove that cowl cover that goes over the struts? What is the procedure for the rear shocks? Hope that they're not as challenging as an XC70! :facepalm: Does anyone have experience with this or a useful link? Thanks in advance,

Shadrach
I have a thread on here from about 3 years ago where I replaced the rear shocks and springs on my wife's xc60 r design . we replace them because we felt it just rode too rough with the sport suspension. the rears are just shocks and are a piece of cake. technically you don't even have to remove the wheels. as for the front struts, like you I have done a ton of them, but I'd never replaced them on the xc60. Honestly, in looking at them I did not think they were any different or more difficult than any other car I have done. I even did Koni struts on my '05 GTO...it's just not that hard. I would not hesitate to tackle it if I were you. I got my parts online as well from one of the Volvo dealers selling wholesale excetra. I think my Volvo thread had the words ride quality in the title if you want to search for it. good luck!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Count me in the dinosaur club, I'd do them on mine as well. Good luck :beer:

·
Registered
899 Posts
You will need the tightening torques. Perhaps someone with a manual could share them with us?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cab, I like your prior posts and will refer to them as I change out the struts and shocks. TonyJag, that is a good point about the torque specs. I have the last DVD copy of VADIS, which is from about 2004 or 5, but the P3 Volvos had not been introduced at that point. It's time to update to VIDA, which is about $10 on Ebay. When I get the specs I will post them. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Can you guys tell me how to get the black plastic retainer clips out of the the strut cover? I'm not sure how to pop them off. I tried a butter knife, but they had no give.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts