SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After barely nudging an empty garbage can while in reverse, parallel parking, my wife ripped the mirror off of the passenger side of our car. Usually, the mirror folds 'backwards' and after testing the driver's side, that should be the case. Anyway, it didn't work on the passenger side and replacing the folding mirror with BLIS is $1170 at the dealership. ($950 part) The core of the mirror is cheap plastic and asked whether that part could just be replaced in the mirror. Told 'no'. Asked whether I could buy the foldable mirror w/o Blis ($280) and just replace the broken core piece. Told 'no'.

Nearly $1200 for a mirror, which works perfectly including the BLIS, seems like robbery. Nothing is broken except for the innter plastic core. Any ideas, or parts shops (I've googled a bit), or any experience dealing with this?
Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife did the same thing with our 2010 Lexus and the dealer wants $1,000 (no BLIS). She hit our stone mail box on the curb. I plan to take it to a couple of well regarded body shops. I think they can do the replacement for less.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
OUCH!!! A few years back, a co-worker backed her hubby's Avalon into the garbage bin, ripping off the passenger side mirror. She thought it might be a hundred bucks and a quick trip to the dealer parts dept. :) Had to add the zero, wait for the part to arrive, wait for it to be painted(I may have that backwards...the paint may have been on the 'front end') and THEN have it installed. Needless to say, 'hubby' found out and was none too happy that his 'first on the block' Avalon had been mutilated. :(

1 - 3 of 3 Posts