SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to purchase an xc 60 soon and have narrowed down my purchase to a 2013 t6, 2015 t5 or 2016 t5.

Any last minute recommendations appreciated. Going back and forth on this. As I post this at 4am.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 XC90 T6 Momentum
13 Posts
You get the inline 6 with T6 vs 3 years newer with the 2016 T5. None of these are sports cars, but having the extra power of the T6 just isn't something you can easily replace. I'd say T6, unless the new models have a specific color or option package you want, or super low miles. That's just me tho...

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am about to purchase an xc 60 soon and have narrowed down my purchase to a 2013 t6, 2015 t5 or 2016 t5.

Any last minute recommendations appreciated. Going back and forth on this. As I post this at 4am.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
If the only information I had was the year or the engine, I would go with the T6. More power, bigger displacement, makes more power, less stress on engine.

I would recommend you find out more information on each vehicle before you purchase any of it, and make a decision. Is there any information you can give us about these three cars that you are looking at, that can help us aid you in your decision?

Reactions: dyun1dyun1

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
43 Posts
I would HIGHLY recommend buying the T6 with the 3.0L inline-six (not the new 4-cyl). These T6 engines are said to be underrated from the factory in the torque department, and if you need any more power, you can get it with the P* tune from Volvo. Most importantly, the T6 is easily the most reliable engine out of your choices. The T6 is not a T5 with an added cylinder on the end; they are entirely different engines. Without getting into too much technical stuff, the T5 has a timing belt which requires maintenance and could cause your engine to skip timing (which would instantly destroy it). I have heard of countless catastrophic failures on low mileage T5s, but never on a T6. The T6 has no such issues, and are known to last for lots of miles. The only downside is fuel economy with the T6, which is not great.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Agree with the other posters. Go for the 3L six cylinder T6. Fantastic engine.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just realized #3 doesn't have heated seats which takes it off the list. What was the next car in the running?

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
43 Posts
Ahhh I knew option 3 would be too good to be true. Without knowing the cars' prices, I'd go for the 2013 T6 for reliability and power reasons.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The 3.0T T6 as others have mentioned the reliability, power and torque. It's a smooth engine and I sometimes think the engine is off but it's still idling. Twin scroll ball bearing turbo (correction-twin hydrodynamic journal not ball bearing). Last but not least, old fashioned port fuel injection. Direct injection is detrimental to efficiency due to valve and intake port carbon buildup. The cylinders have sleeves so if **** goes down you have options.

The Ford engineers just knocked that engine design out of the park. Grand slam. No real bottlenecks stock. I have the polestar R design and there's zero turbo lag and the engine never heat soaks like most turbo engines.

<knock on wood>

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
I just realized #3 doesn't have heated seats which takes it off the list. What was the next car in the running?
Check again. I see heated seats there in the pic and on the monroney. That one would be my recommendation as well. I have one equipped just like this and love it. Good luck on the search.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Check again. I see heated seats there in the pic and on the monroney. That one would be my recommendation as well. I have one equipped just like this and love it. Good luck on the search.
Thanks Wayne. I looked at last night and noticed the feature there but not on the description. I emailed them to confirm midnight last night ( starting to lose sleep over this)

Also I spoke to the dealer about the 2011 R and they guy I spoke with gushing about the condition. I am tempted to take a look. I might need someone to convince me not to go that route or try to get two cars since one is going to my mom.

2008 XC 70 3.2 | 2010 XC90 3.2

·
Registered
281 Posts
I wouldn't go for the 2011. The price isn't that great nor the mileage. R design is cool, but if you want that I'd recommend getting option 5. It's more money, but newer with better options for long term use (and it has a heated steering wheel as well).

·
Registered
2012 S60 T6 AWD
43 Posts
Yes, let us know how your inquiry goes on number 3. I was extremely surprised to hear of a T6 with no heated seats (I've never heard of such a thing), so I'm pretty sure they just forgot to state that. With unanimous support on the third option, I really wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Confirmed heated seats.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quick update,the 2011 T6 R was sent straight to auction after the dealer discovered angle gear issues. Which made a lot folks at the dealer sad because how well the exterior and interior was taken car of

2016 T5 is in beautiful shape with rear heated seats and heated steering wheel making it a little unique.

Going to check out the 2015 well optioned T6 today. Can someone explain to me why the dealer is calling option#3 a drive e engine? What should I look for in this option?

·
Registered
12,941 Posts
Quick update,the 2011 T6 R was sent straight to auction after the dealer discovered angle gear issues. Which made a lot folks at the dealer sad because how well the exterior and interior was taken car of

2016 T5 is in beautiful shape with rear heated seats and heated steering wheel making it a little unique.

Going to check out the 2015 well optioned T6 today. Can someone explain to me why the dealer is calling option#3 a drive e engine? What should I look for in this option?

The heated wheel is a really nice feature but you'd have to weigh priorities with the T5 vs. T6.

I don't see where the dealer is calling #3 above a Drive E but these cars came in several different drivetrain configurations throughout its lifecycle - 3.2L NA FWD/AWD, 3.0L T6 AWD, 2.0L Drive E T5 4 cylinder FWD, 2.5L T5 5 cylinder AWD, and the 2.0L Drive E T6 4 cylinder AWD. The five and six cylinder cars came with the 6 speed automatic while the 4 cylinder ones come with the 8 speed.
Of the cars you've listed above I see four of the above variations.

Reactions: dyun1dyun1

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The heated wheel is a really nice feature but you'd have to weigh priorities with the T5 vs. T6.

I don't see where the dealer is calling #3 above a Drive E but these cars came in several different drivetrain configurations throughout its lifecycle - 3.2L NA FWD/AWD, 3.0L T6 AWD, 2.0L Drive E T5 4 cylinder FWD, 2.5L T5 5 cylinder AWD, and the 2.0L Drive E T6 4 cylinder AWD. The five and six cylinder cars came with the 6 speed automatic while the 4 cylinder ones come with the 8 speed.
Of the cars you've listed above I see four of the above variations.
Definitely going with everyone's recommendations with #3. Just wanted to make sure I have options if something falls through.

Here is the description from the dealer.

Powerful six-cylinder engines come turbocharged (supercharged in the T6, R-DESIGN, and Drive-E engines) delivering an instant response with the high torque that Volvo engines are known for. The new Drive-E engines reduce friction in key areas like the ball bearings and camshaft to boost efficiency. Not to mention improved fuel efficiency at 24/31

Didn't make sense to me, though my mom and wife looked at and they said the engine has different drive modes? I will see for myself today.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts