SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally deciding to get my first Volvo since my 240 sedan I had back in high school. I’m planning on ordering the T8 recharge 2022 model because I want the new infotainment system.
I‘m Planning on getting the Inscription with the B&W sound, air suspension and weather and advanced packages. When I compare to the Polestar, it seems that all of this is included in the Polestar build and it is slightly cheaper. Plus you get more horsepower. I’m not getting this as a performance vehicle, but what am I losing by not getting the inscription. I actually like some of the Polestar design elements. It seems like the big difference is the seats. Am I missing anything?Anything else I should know? Thanks

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
Air suspension is not part of Polestar Engineered model. It allows lowering the car for easy entry/exit and I prefer to it over the Polestar adjustable Ohlins struts. Seat with ventilation is also very nice if you have many warm months in a year.
And Polestar tune is available for MY2022 XC60 T8 if no surprise like MY2021. Then you get the extra horsepower and transmission tune.
Either way, MY2022 is very nice car with the Android infotainment.

Reactions: ScottNY

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
307 Posts
+1 I went with Inscription over Polestar purely for the air suspension and ventilated seats. I then paid for Polestar optimization on the inscription to get some of the transmission tuning benefit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
+1 I went with Inscription over Polestar purely for the air suspension and ventilated seats. I then paid for Polestar optimization on the inscription to get some of the transmission tuning benefit.
I went with the Inscription Pro for the air suspension too, I can’t have the Polestar tune though as I have the B4 engine (diesel mild hybrid)

·
Registered
'21 XC60 T6 Inscription with Air Suspension and Polestar
1 Posts
If you value comfort at all, go with the Inscription and add the Polestar tune.
I'm considering leasing a '22 XC60 T6 Inscription with air suspension. Some reviews I read, including Car & Driver, say that the ride and noise level is not up to par for a vehicle in this class. The NVH quality is very important to me. I live in NYC and the roads within 60 miles of me are about as bad as paved roads get. Is C & D right? Can I get the luxury ride I want around town with the air supension on COMFORT? Also, I see the Polestar tune as a $1495 option. Is it worth it with the T6 engine?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I went with a Polestar Engineered model and live in NYC. There's no road around here that's not gonna snap the rim of an Inscription or R-Design that won't on PE model either, suspension setup be damned. Fully loaded back to back, the R-Design came out to being slightly more expensive while having none of the actual Polestar enhancements outside of the tune. Anybody who's telling you the ride is uncomfortable on the PE is talking out of their ass.

If you've ever driven a mildly sportier Audi, BMW, etc, it's about on par firmness wise. It's slightly firm and can be tweaked to be somewhat softer or even firmer, the latter part I wouldn't recommend. The car is meant to drive like a sports car and it does. There's far less body roll and it feels far more planted in corners than a comparable air suspension-loaded XC60 does. Nor do I have to worry about long term reliability of the air suspension breaking and the insane repair cost out of warranty.

If all you care about is pure comfort and a slightly quicker car, or happen to be short enough where getting into an SUV is difficult to begin with, go with an Inscription or R-Design with air suspension and it'll drive like the luxo-barge it was intended to be. 100% depends on what you're looking for out of it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm considering leasing a '22 XC60 T6 Inscription with air suspension. Some reviews I read, including Car & Driver, say that the ride and noise level is not up to par for a vehicle in this class. The NVH quality is very important to me. I live in NYC and the roads within 60 miles of me are about as bad as paved roads get. Is C & D right? Can I get the luxury ride I want around town with the air supension on COMFORT? Also, I see the Polestar tune as a $1495 option. Is it worth it with the T6 engine?
To be perfectly honest, Volvo's Polestar tune is one of the biggest scams in the industry. You're talking a 15-ish HP gain and maybe 30-ish TQ. It's Volvo's way of squeezing a bit more out of your wallet for an extremely marginal performance gain, and a better throttle/transmission response.

Maybe not insane for what people do for even a 5 HP gain on some cars, but in the long run, it's ridiculous that it doesn't come from the factory with the enhancements in place considering it's OEM.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a 2020 XC90 T6 Inscription w/o air suspension and traded it for a 2021 XC60 T5 Inscription with air suspension. I’m the same as you, NVH quality is exceedingly important to me. We do a lot of over-the-road travel and cabin noise is a deal buster. Here’s my experience:

I find the XC60 quieter than the XC90. Both are low in wind noise. Road noise on good roads is OK with both. Road noise on noisy roads is seriously better with the XC60. Road noise on noisy roads is one of the reasons I traded the XC90; I actually took off the OEM tires on the XC90 and put on quieter ones and still wasn’t satisfied. The T5 is quieter and smoother under normal acceleration than the T6. So, I prefer it to the T6 for the lighter weight XC60. Overall, the XC60 is quiet and acceptable, but I’ve been in quieter vehicles.

I tested air vs. no air suspension on XC60s, extensively. I found that on normal roads there wasn’t a lot to choose from. Over lower quality roads I found a worthwhile difference. But the car feels a bit more disconnected from the road. Then again, none of the XC60s that I drove felt like BMWs that I’ve owned, lol. It’s a tradeoff. I definitely prefer air suspension for our needs. The one negative with the XC60, and not a small one, is that the Pilot Assist does a lot more hunting for the lane than does the XC90. I attribute this to the longer wheel base of the XC90, although I’m not sure of this. The XC60, at high speeds with a lot of cargo weight, does a lot of yawing as it hunts for the center of the lane. I don’t like it. In stop and go traffic, both cars are great when on Pilot Assist.

Polestar tuning. I added it. I really like it, it makes the car more responsive and nimble-feeling across the torque range. Drive the car hard and you still notice some turbo lag. Sudden, hard acceleration, ditto. But for normal driving I just don’t notice lag or torque flat spots - car is smooth and quiet. Did you know that you can create and store your own driving profile? It’s called “Individual” drive mode. With it you can set the ride quality to Comfort and the engine to Polestar. Polestar mode seriously changes the shift points and makes the car noisier, but a lot more spirited. I use both. I hardly ever use full-on Polestar mode, which stiffens the suspension.

The answer to your question is, you can find quieter cars in this class, no doubt, and maybe a bit smoother. But if you’re like me you take the entire package into consideration, realizing that perfection ain’t a thing. For my money, the quality, luxury, minimalist Swedish presentation, and safety features make it pretty easy to live with a car that isn’t dead silent in all situations. Also, coming most recently from MDXs I appreciate how well the features work. With some cars, an included feature seems to be a checklist item that has a half-baked, annoying implementation. With Volvo the features seem well designed and not annoying. This, to me, is an important indication of quality.

·
Registered
2018 XC60 T6 R-Design w Polestar optimization
90 Posts
To be perfectly honest, Volvo's Polestar tune is one of the biggest scams in the industry. You're talking a 15-ish HP gain and maybe 30-ish TQ. It's Volvo's way of squeezing a bit more out of your wallet for an extremely marginal performance gain, and a better throttle/transmission response.

Maybe not insane for what people do for even a 5 HP gain on some cars, but in the long run, it's ridiculous that it doesn't come from the factory with the enhancements in place considering it's OEM.
While the cost is a bit steep, if you time it right the P* Optimization can be quite bearable. I got it on my wife's V90CC T6 during the dealer-wide July 4 sale. Add on other $300 discount via Costco and a $200 new owner accessories rebate, and I paid around $830 after installation and tax. Unfortunately when I got it for my XC60 T6 the Costco deal wasn't in effect, so I ended up paying around $1,130 that time.

From a performance perspective, I really like the P* Optimization. Neither the XC60 nor the V90CC are world-beaters when it comes to acceleration, nor do we need them to be. What I've found is that with the P* Optimization both cars shift more smoothly and have more useable mid-range power. Where these cars now shine for me is in 30mph - 75mph acceleration, which is important for merging onto the freeway. They're also both quite good at the 75mph - 90mph acceleration, which is good for passing on the freeway.

As for the OP's Inscription vs. Polestar Engineered question - keep in mind that the Ohlins dampers that come on the Polestar are only adjustable externally; in other words, you have to pop the hood or reach into the rear wheel well to change the setting. I don't think the Volvo, even in full Polestar Engineered guise, can truly run with the X3Ms and AMG GLC 63s; if someone wants that level of performance then they should go with one of those and not a Volvo.

·
Registered
58 Posts
While the cost is a bit steep, if you time it right the P* Optimization can be quite bearable. I got it on my wife's V90CC T6 during the dealer-wide July 4 sale. Add on other $300 discount via Costco and a $200 new owner accessories rebate, and I paid around $830 after installation and tax. Unfortunately when I got it for my XC60 T6 the Costco deal wasn't in effect, so I ended up paying around $1,130 that time.

From a performance perspective, I really like the P* Optimization. Neither the XC60 nor the V90CC are world-beaters when it comes to acceleration, nor do we need them to be. What I've found is that with the P* Optimization both cars shift more smoothly and have more useable mid-range power. Where these cars now shine for me is in 30mph - 75mph acceleration, which is important for merging onto the freeway. They're also both quite good at the 75mph - 90mph acceleration, which is good for passing on the freeway.

As for the OP's Inscription vs. Polestar Engineered question - keep in mind that the Ohlins dampers that come on the Polestar are only adjustable externally; in other words, you have to pop the hood or reach into the rear wheel well to change the setting. I don't think the Volvo, even in full Polestar Engineered guise, can truly run with the X3Ms and AMG GLC 63s; if someone wants that level of performance then they should go with one of those and not a Volvo.
My point is that the Polestar optimization is still overpriced and it’s beyond ridiculous that these vehicles don’t come that way from the factory. A 5% increase in power no matter what way you look at it is crazy for an MSRP of $1500. Discounts aren’t exactly a guarantee. “We made your engine and transmission shift points slower than they should be and robbed you of 5% of power output. Now pay us to get it back.” Of course they’re free to do that, but it’s still ****ty and for a “tune” in general the improvements are kind of a joke.

As for the dampers, how many people do you know of that are continuously adjusting their suspension while driving that it’s an issue? 99% of people either set it and forget it or don’t really care.

And nobody in their right mind should be cross shopping an XC60 in any trim with an X3M or GLC63 AMG. That’d be like cross shopping a Dodge Charger SRT with a Porsche 911 Turbo. At best it’s comparable to a GLC43 or X3 M40i and even then the Volvo is still slower even at the very top end.

I love my XC60 PE, but I bought it knowing exactly what it was without pretenses.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Polestar optimization : 10kW and 30Nm for $ 1300-1500, really funny

Volvo with all models of diesel or petrol engines convincingly the worst performance of acceleration and final speed from competitors ( Audi , BMW, MB )
I'm not counting on new models with a speed limit of 180km / h, why is that, only Volvo knows

·
Registered
2021 XC60 T8/Recharge
307 Posts
Side note, there's a Polestar coupon right now for ~$800 USD depending on your dealer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I drive my wife's XC-60 T6 Inscription in Dynamic Mode which changes the transmission and engine performance and lowers the body. I was told by the service department this is pretty much what the Polestar upgrade does.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I drive my wife's XC-60 T6 Inscription in Dynamic Mode which changes the transmission and engine performance and lowers the body. I was told by the service department this is pretty much what the Polestar upgrade does.
They're not entirely the same thing. It's kinda like buying a halloween store Hulk costume vs the actual Marvel costume from the movie itself. They might be the same thing at the core, but the way they accomplish it is different, and one is done by professionals and therefore costs more. The Polestar tune will lower air suspension in that mode if you have air suspension equipped, but the engine/transmission shifts points are quicker and more responsive to throttle, including a 5% HP/TQ boost for increased power output. Not exactly worth the $$$ full price, but I guess if you find it offered for like $500 and have some spare cash to give it, then why not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
They're not entirely the same thing. It's kinda like buying a halloween store Hulk costume vs the actual Marvel costume from the movie itself. They might be the same thing at the core, but the way they accomplish it is different, and one is done by professionals and therefore costs more. The Polestar tune will lower air suspension in that mode if you have air suspension equipped, but the engine/transmission shifts points are quicker and more responsive to throttle, including a 5% HP/TQ boost for increased power output. Not exactly worth the $$$ full price, but I guess if you find it offered for like $500 and have some spare cash to give it, then why not.
The 316 hp/295 tq in my wife's XC-60 T6 in Dynamic Mode is more than enough power to merge, etc so there really isn't a need to waste the money on a Polestar tune. The T5 is underpowered so it can use all the extra power and torque it can get. Even the T8 is a joke. When I want to have a blast I just drive my 603hp/627tq 2021 MB AMG E63s wagon. It sure is fun blowing the doors off "sports cars" and then seeing the look on their faces afterwards is just priceless.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Some of you are really off the mark about the P* tune. No one, even Volvo, ever claimed it was about a big horsepower gain. The BIG difference is the transmission shifting and the 50/50 AWD torque distribution engagement preemptively before ANY wheel spin. I understand some people will see no value in this, but it DOES make a big difference in performance on a track or in the snow. I autocross my S60 all the time, and the P* tune makes a huge difference on the intuitive transmission shifting, like it transforms the car in aggressive driving requiring frequent shifts. Go drive in the snow in P* mode and then switch to comfort mode and the AWD engagement is immediately noticeable. There is a real reason some people gladly pay for the upgrade...it makes a difference even without a big horsepower increase.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My point is that the Polestar optimization is still overpriced and it’s beyond ridiculous that these vehicles don’t come that way from the factory. A 5% increase in power no matter what way you look at it is crazy for an MSRP of $1500. Discounts aren’t exactly a guarantee. “We made your engine and transmission shift points slower than they should be and robbed you of 5% of power output. Now pay us to get it back.” Of course they’re free to do that, but it’s still ****ty and for a “tune” in general the improvements are kind of a joke.

As for the dampers, how many people do you know of that are continuously adjusting their suspension while driving that it’s an issue? 99% of people either set it and forget it or don’t really care.

And nobody in their right mind should be cross shopping an XC60 in any trim with an X3M or GLC63 AMG. That’d be like cross shopping a Dodge Charger SRT with a Porsche 911 Turbo. At best it’s comparable to a GLC43 or X3 M40i and even then the Volvo is still slower even at the very top end.

I love my XC60 PE, but I bought it knowing exactly what it was without pretenses.
Have you driven a polstar optimization?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts