SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

First time posting here on the XC60 forum, my other vehicle is a 15 V60RD.

So, my girlfriend just bought a 2013 XC60! Bought it with 55k on it and 7 months left in it's CPO warranty. The Ford dealership we purchased it from actually did not realize it was a CPO, we found out after purchasing which is quite a nice surprise!

Same day we bought it, we dropped it off at our local Volvo dealership to have a complete inspection and TCM software update completed due to harsh downshifts and P-D harshness. Everything checked out fine and TCM software update fixed the harsh shifts.

Over the past week I completed a full paint correction and just applied a ceramic coat. I'll post some pictures once completely cured.

Here's a few photos! You can see how badly the paint was swirled.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I installed my 3D printed intake from my V60RD on the XC60. Fitment between the two is the same.

Realistically, the gains are next to non other than an increase in intake sound. Once you start increasing performance down stream (tune, down pipe, exhaust) the intake starts to become necessary.

My goal for this intake was to create something that was 1. Far cheaper than the off the shelf items from the usual sources and 2. De muffled the intake sound. The tube diameter is the same as that in the standard intake however the filter surface area has increased by around 40%. The MAF location moved slightly however was placed in a section of theoretically undisturbed, "laminar" flow. It is just before the elbow.

This intake was created for $150 dollars using 3D printed nylon. I've been running it on my RD for around 8 months now with no issues.

Working on a heat shield for it now.

Thought y'all in the XC60 community would be interested in seeing this.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
That’s a nice looking setup! How do you like it compared with the S60? Does it seem any quieter out on the road? The XCs I’ve driven seemed more buttoned up than the S60s I’ve driven and I wonder if they have more sound deadening measures and if so, just how many little details you can uncover that us sedan and wagon owners might be able to borrow to make our cars quieter.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Congrats! Now that's a Volvo family starting up strong;-)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That’s a nice looking setup! How do you like it compared with the S60? Does it seem any quieter out on the road? The XCs I’ve driven seemed more buttoned up than the S60s I’ve driven and I wonder if they have more sound deadening measures and if so, just how many little details you can uncover that us sedan and wagon owners might be able to borrow to make our cars quieter.
So comparing the RD and the XC the first thing I notice is the ride quality; I think partially due to more suspension compliance but mainly more sidewall. It's really not a fair comparison though as the RD has a much stiffer suspension than the standard s/v60.

The interior is the same in terms of fit and finish. Still some rattles and creaks but overall really nice to drive.

I have to say the standard XC60 seats are more supportive than the RD seats and IMO support my back much better. I would prefer a long trip in the XC60, which is really why we decided on it.

In terms of sound deadening, I think the RD is quieter... It is 2 years newer though so I'm thinking some changes were made to the dash pad and firewall sound deadening.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Thanks for the additional info!

·
Registered
51 Posts
So comparing the RD and the XC the first thing I notice is the ride quality; I think partially due to more suspension compliance but mainly more sidewall. It's really not a fair comparison though as the RD has a much stiffer suspension than the standard s/v60.

The interior is the same in terms of fit and finish. Still some rattles and creaks but overall really nice to drive.

I have to say the standard XC60 seats are more supportive than the RD seats and IMO support my back much better. I would prefer a long trip in the XC60, which is really why we decided on it.

In terms of sound deadening, I think the RD is quieter... It is 2 years newer though so I'm thinking some changes were made to the dash pad and firewall sound deadening.

I just got out of my 2015 v60 RD and into a 2017 XC. Noticed the same things... As my V60 was at 95k miles and my company gives me an allowance to by a new car every 100K miles, I opted for something with a less harsh ride. I have noticed as as i accumulated miles the shocks. struts, or whatever suspension parts there are, seemed to wear out all of a sudden at about 85K and the ride almost became teeth shattering.

I am also going to do a paint correction on my new car. Good luck with the new ride

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Finally able to get some real miles on the XC. Such a joy to drive vs my V60 RDesign. Smooth ride - supple, the seats are far more comfortable too.

We decided to take it down some 2 track roads and seasonal trails in northern Michigan. Lots of sand, some mud, nothing challenging though. Even in deeper sand the car had no problem.

My only complaint about this car are the low speed bumps from the transmission.. if you transition from brake to accelerator quickly, a large bump occurs. I assume this is a last minute 2-1 downshift.. it feels... unhealthy. I think I may have the dealership investigate this. I know it's common on the TF80SC but damn... I cannot stand it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My only complaint about this car are the low speed bumps from the transmission.. if you transition from brake to accelerator quickly, a large bump occurs. I assume this is a last minute 2-1 downshift.. it feels... unhealthy. I think I may have the dealership investigate this. I know it's common on the TF80SC but damn... I cannot stand it.
Most likely this is actually CAUSED by the new TCM SW. Mine does this now too, has since the TCM was updated in October. I agree, it’s a major pain, and drives me nuts. What they did is change the 2-1 downshift threshold from 4mph to 1 mph. As you guessed, when you’re ALMOST stopped and start again, it’s still in 2nd gear. There is a Tech Journal (31210 if I recall) to revert the TCM back to the old software. Will undo the fix for P-D engagement and harsh downshifts though.

Regarding your other observations, I agree there too. My ‘13 R-Design is a harsh ride, and have wondered if swapping the 20s for 18s would help, or if it’s more the suspension difference. 20s on PA roads are iffy anyway, only a matter of time before they’re bent. As for the seats, I feel like the R-Design seats hurt my back too. Can take the Wife’s XC90 on an 8-10 hour trip and not ache, but feel like mine causes issues after only a couple. :(

Joe

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most likely this is actually CAUSED by the new TCM SW. Mine does this now too, has since the TCM was updated in October. I agree, it’s a major pain, and drives me nuts. What they did is change the 2-1 downshift threshold from 4mph to 1 mph. As you guessed, when you’re ALMOST stopped and start again, it’s still in 2nd gear. There is a Tech Journal (31210 if I recall) to revert the TCM back to the old software. Will undo the fix for P-D engagement and harsh downshifts though.

Regarding your other observations, I agree there too. My ‘13 R-Design is a harsh ride, and have wondered if swapping the 20s for 18s would help, or if it’s more the suspension difference. 20s on PA roads are iffy anyway, only a matter of time before they’re bent. As for the seats, I feel like the R-Design seats hurt my back too. Can take the Wife’s XC90 on an 8-10 hour trip and not ache, but feel like mine causes issues after only a couple. :(

Joe
Interesting! Well personally the harsh downshifts bothered me more so I guess I will be living with the bump...

Hopefully this will be corrected in a future TCM release. Just very odd PT engineering would approve a software update with this level of shift bump. I work in PT management at FCA; our calibrators would cringe if they felt how bad that bump is.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh, I agree. Not sure how they thought it’d be okay. If you drive like you’re taking your drivers test, it’s fine I guess. Can train yourself to avoid it, but it takes work lol. Honestly, Volvo’s TCM logic has always been crappy IMO. Mine has a mushy/looooong 1-2 shift once warmed up, car falls on its face for 1-2 full seconds. I get that most luxury car drivers don’t want to FEEL shifts, but having a Polestar tuned car with mushy shifts seems off to me. Wish they had different SW versions for customer shift preference :D.

Regarding the bump, I’m guessing it won’t be fixed anytime soon, seeing as how it’s been that way for a while. Check out this thread from 2015 :angryfire::

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?233344-12-S60-RD-tranny-being-a-jerk

Joe

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm very interested in finding out more about this mod. I sent you a PM.
Yep! Got your message. I am seriously considering just sharing the file on the forum for people to enjoy. No sense in being greedy and profiting from it.

Just need to understand that you run this at your own risk. While I haven't personally had any issues with it, that doesn't mean it's robust.

You'll have to make your own mounting bracket, I can show how I mounted mine.

If you run the same setup I have, it will cost you around $150. That's for the intake tube 3D printed and the filter. I went for an expensive filter so cost can be reduced there. Also, with this I would suggest NOT running an oiled filter as oil can build up on the MAF and trigger a fault.

As it sits on my car, I have not thrown any fault codes. I've run it with 170 F underhood temps as well as -30 F ambient cold starts. No issues.

I am going to make some edits to it to improve a few things (and add a LOGO to it ) before I distribute it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yep! Got your message. I am seriously considering just sharing the file on the forum for people to enjoy. No sense in being greedy and profiting from it.

Just need to understand that you run this at your own risk. While I haven't personally had any issues with it, that doesn't mean it's robust.

You'll have to make your own mounting bracket, I can show how I mounted mine.

If you run the same setup I have, it will cost you around $150. That's for the intake tube 3D printed and the filter. I went for an expensive filter so cost can be reduced there. Also, with this I would suggest NOT running an oiled filter as oil can build up on the MAF and trigger a fault.

As it sits on my car, I have not thrown any fault codes. I've run it with 170 F underhood temps as well as -30 F ambient cold starts. No issues.

I am going to make some edits to it to improve a few things (and add a LOGO to it ) before I distribute it.
Sweet! I have a Prusa 3D printer, although I've never worked with Nylon. I know PLA would be an issue because of the temperatures, but I'm wondering if PETG would be an option. I've had a few intakes in my time, and agree that the dry filters are a preference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts