SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,
I hope All are well.
All, I hope you can help. I bought my wife a used 2012 XC60 FWD 3.2L. A little over a year ago I had remote start installed at a Volvo dealership and she loved it. Yet, about 3 months after the remote start was installed, my alternator's voltage regulator died. I thought it was just time for this to happen. However, after replacing the alternator (with one from Auto Zone), the same issue occured roughly 3 months later. Thinking it was just a bad alternator - which at times happens - I exchanged it at Auto Zone for another alternator, only to have the same issue about 3 months later. I have even replaced the battery thinking this might have something to do with the voltage regulator blowing at such intervals; my voltage regulator still blew. I had to tow the vehicle back to the dealership where they only read some O2 codes and told me the battery was weak but the alternator was fine. When I asked why the battery was weak when the alternator was fine, I was not given an answer and sent on my way.
Has anyone had this issue and found the resolution? I would greatly appreciate some light on this matter.

·
Registered
383 Posts
When I replaced the alternator in my 2010 T6, I HAD to get a Volvo one due to the linbus communication with it and the ECU. I tried 3 other alternators and none worked. Although it was right away, not months later.
Does your car have the Battery Monitor Service (BMS)? If so, that may need to be reset. I know it needs to after replacing the battery, but not sure about the alternator.
You can check for the black wire running across the battery from the positive terminal to see if it has BMS or not:

Auto part Vehicle Engine Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
915 Posts
Most reman alt are junk with exception for OEM reman ones. We always try and push cust. to new or OEM reman ones.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You are wasting your time with those autozone alternators. The regulators are junk and generally speaking the life span is 3-6 months. Purchase a Bosch or Genuine Volvo alternator and be done with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts