SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I'm making a decision today on whether to trade in my 2020 XC40 Momentum for an XC60 Inscription.

One of my main concerns is that there isn't a hands-free liftgate feature due to the chip shortage. This isn't a deal-breaker for me but it is something I used all the time before
so it would be missed.

Is this something that can be added afterward? I've asked the dealer but they haven't given a definitive response.

Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
103 Posts

·
Registered
2022 XC 60 B6 Inscription
61 Posts
I purchased a 2022 XC60 Inscription in October and it has the handsfree liftgate feature. I think they are out there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I spoke to my sales person and he said the hands feee system could be added after the car was built.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I test drove a 2022 with handsfree liftgate just a few weeks back.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my car yesterday (OSD order from July) and when I heard mumblings of cars being made without the power liftgate, I actually called Barbara @ Volvo OSD to ensure it was on there. She said it was, but my car does not seem to have it. We had it on our 2018 XC60 so I know how to use it (use it almost every day with kids and carrying all their stuff to the car).

Anybody know a surefire way to know whether it's installed or not?

BTW my car did not come with either the "no foot operated liftgate sticker" or the "how to use your cool foot liftgate sticker". It was interesting to see about 50% of the dealer stock had one and the other 50% had the other.

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
I spoke to my sales person and he said the hands feee system could be added after the car was built.
I'd ask him for his source on this info. He can say that to make a sale. I haven't seen any info one way or another regarding whether it can be added or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I sure hope they can add it. Hands free clearly was part of my sales contract and listed on the paperwork and osd literature too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I sure hope they can add it. Hands free clearly was part of my sales contract and listed on the paperwork and osd literature too.
Was it a separate line item? For my order, it was just in the osd literature as a standard feature... Not specifically called out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Called out in the OSD literature then after my order was accepted the dealer told me I would have to pay for it which I did ( still not happy about it ) in reality I have paid for it twice! On a good note my wife loves her car for the one day she has had it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Called out in the OSD literature then after my order was accepted the dealer told me I would have to pay for it which I did ( still not happy about it ) in reality I have paid for it twice! On a good note my wife loves her car for the one day she has had it.
Odd, see my dealer didn't say anything, it was in the literature as standard (which I still have that literature). I even called Barbara @ OSD back then (and again today) and she says it was supposed to be on the car. So confused... Trying to figure out if we can retrofit and who's paying for it now...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I can assure you that if it’s not able to be added. There will be a substantial discount or buyback. Barbra sent me an email looking into it. I sent her my paperwork showing it was a standard feature and I then paid for it again.

·
Registered
2011 C70 T5; 2022 XC60 T8
158 Posts
My '22 XC60 T8 OSD, built at the end of June, has the hands-free powered liftgate. I ordered off the preliminary OSD price list, which explicitly listed it as included (no separate $200 charge).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
So I have a small update. Talked to my dealer (Mr. Steingold) and he said they just got a memo that Factory Weeks 36-40, no matter what options the car had, did not get the handsfree liftgate.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Barbara on what Volvo is doing to fix this.

Can anybody figure out if this can be retrofitted? I found two kits/sensors that fit our cars, but don't know which one is correct:

Foot Sensor

·
Registered
48 Posts
@kelrbby mine is an XC60 T8 IE, OSD June, late August build and it came with the hands free liftgate function. Was curious about what I'd get on delivery as well but was a minor thing for me.

Without knowing exactly what Volvo part number is affected by the shortage and what related parts the factory did or did not install despite the lacking part, it will be difficult to say if simply installing X part will make the function work. There may be sensors, extra wiring looms, and control modules involved; plus a software setting that enables the function. This will be a well-documented production line change. Unless Volvo specifically makes a dealer-installable kit with the missing part(s) I'd advise against buying parts to fix at the moment. Based on the single option price it does sound like an easy fix though.

Background: I work in semiconductors and am an automotive process auditor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FWIW, about 3 weeks before delivery of MY22/XC60 Volvo called and told me due to the semiconductor issues, this won't be available during delivery. They said I could remove it from the options list or keep it to be added later. They also mentioned "later" could be more than 1 year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I took delivery of my XC60 yesterday and asked the salesman again about the hands free lift gate.
He said it would be Jan/Feb before the new parts came in. He didn’t have any documentation, though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got an interesting email from Volvo agreeing that I should of received the power tailgate and foot sensor which I did not get. What do you think is fair for Volvo to offer me for the missing foot sensor? I think their offer is low. I don’t want to say what their offer was till I see what others think is a fair offer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got an interesting email from Volvo agreeing that I should of received the power tailgate and foot sensor which I did not get. What do you think is fair for Volvo to offer me for the missing foot sensor? I think their offer is low. I don’t want to say what their offer was till I see what others think is a fair offer.
Wha? I got a "yeah you were supposed to get it but the factory decided that all Volvos in September wouldn't get it, maybe we can retrofit in the future" . How'd you get any sort of offer? Went to OSD and Customer Complaints department.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts