SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I currently own a 2005 XC90 2.5T and Aisin transmission and like it.

Looking at XC60, I see FWD vs AWD.
In the USA, the only engine is 3.2 and T6.

Which engine/trans combo do you guys/girls recommend in terms of reliability?

I hope not to deal with R.E.A.D. issue, which is rare in the XC90 3.2, but when it happens it is expensive to fix.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
If your looking at new ones, there is the T5 awd (5 cylinder) or at least there was for the 2015 model year. I strongly believe that this is the most tried and true reliable drivetrain at this time. Being that I have a T6 awd (6 cylinder), I obviously have some faith in the this drivetrain as well but I doubt it is as reliable as the previously mentioned. I haven't heard af any drivetrain issues with the drive-e engines (4 cylinder), I hope they turn out to be as reliable as the 5 cylinder engines, they do drive great and have great fuel mileage. I'm not a fan of the 3.2, they seem to be as reliable as the T6 awd but with noticeable less power. If you search this forum, you'll find more issues with the T6 awd and 3.2 than any of the others but they seem to affect the minority of the vehicles. Good luck, we really love our XC60.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
The Ford-made 3.2 was replaced by the Volvo-made T5 (5 cyl) in the AWD version. A Volvo T5 (5 cyl) with an Aisin 6-speed is about as reliable as they come. The DriveE engine with the Aisin 8-speed (FWD only) is new, and has yet to prove itself long term. But I have confidence that it will. The T6 (6 cyl) has had a few problems, but my guess is that very few of the owners of these versions have had other than a good experience with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts