·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Max speed of 220 KPH at 0:43. While videoing too. :eek:

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The distance it takes to stop these big heavy cars at those speeds is frightening.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not safe, but interesting to watch.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
The distance it takes to stop these big heavy cars at those speeds is frightening.

No it's not. The XC60 is a very good performer even with strong winds. Braking isn't worse compared to smaller cars capable of reaching those speeds. New D4 FWD isn't that heavy either btw.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Seriously? Including reaction time, depending on road traction and tires you're looking at 800 - 1200 feet easily.

Volvo's spec is 127 ft for 62-0, by the way. A good sports car can do it in under or close to 100 ft. The difference becomes much more substantial at twice that speed.

And if it's on stock A/S tires and loses even a little traction... yikes.

It doesn't matter that the XC60 is a very good performer, it's still a big heavy street car.

I wouldn't want to have a braking emergency at those speeds in a formula car.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Seriously? Including reaction time, depending on road traction and tires you're looking at 800 - 1200 feet easily.

Volvo's spec is 127 ft for 62-0, by the way. A good sports car can do it in under or close to 100 ft. The difference becomes much more substantial at twice that speed.

It doesn't matter that the XC60 is a very good performer, it's still a big heavy street car.

D4 is lighter compared to a V60T6 AWD. The driving and braking is similar.

·
Registered
178 Posts

Almost no one in the Northern (or West) Europe uses all season tires. They are crap, truth to be told. I can't understand why they are so common in the US. The XC60 in the video most probably uses real summer tires.

The highways in Europe are often wide and with fences along the roadside and driving in 100-150 mph is not that unusual or scary as one may think. Most modern cars are very stable also in speeds like that. I do agree with you that the braking distance will be very long though, and keeping the distance to the car in front is extremely important.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Amazing to see you blowing by so many wagons ... but just one sedan, LOL, we're not in Kansas in any more!

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
I understand all that, I just said the distance required to stop is frightening.

·
Registered
496 Posts
The biggest threat is IMHO not the car in front of you, but the cars on the right track. Even on the German Autobahn more and more people are not concentrating on traffic while driving. They drive rather slow on the right track with a phone in their hand, making non-handsfree calls or checking something on-line. Before you know they suddenly change track to overtake a truck at 90 km/h (55 mph).

I drive a lot through Germany, but limit my speed to about 160 km/h (99 mph).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts