SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number of swipes, clicks, and button presses I need to go through to bring up the 360 camera when pulling into my garage is ridiculous.

It's love to have an option that would boot the camera up whenever I'm moving forward at a very low speed.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
1 swipe, 2 clicks (or 2 presses) if you park head in to the garage.

Only one click if you back into the garage.

I’d love a battery hold button over a camera button.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a T6 - so I can't comment on the battery hold. My guess is that the T8 currently accounts for such a low volume that Volvo wouldn't invest in that option.

I pull into my garage, and the obstacle detection screen comes up. I have to hit the home button, then swipe left to find the camera icon, click on that, then hit the 360 camera button. That's absurd.

The car seems to think that low speed parking manuvers only happen in reverse.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
I have a T6 - so I can't comment on the battery hold. My guess is that the T8 currently accounts for such a low volume that Volvo wouldn't invest in that option.

I pull into my garage, and the obstacle detection screen comes up. I have to hit the home button, then swipe left to find the camera icon, click on that, then hit the 360 camera button. That's absurd.

The car seems to think that low speed parking manuvers only happen in reverse.
Rear camera on at reverse gear is required by regulations.

Front and other camera view is up to manufacture.

I use 360 camera view for parallel parking, but it takes longer time anyway. For pulling ahead parking I only need to look at the sensor warning to judge front space. Have not seen need to worry about side.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I understand that it's not required by law. The point is that making a valuable feature do hard to use is ridiculous.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Yes, I understand that it's not required by law. The point is that making a valuable feature do hard to use is ridiculous.
But there is regulation somewhere that no video is allowed by default when car is moving. Front camera view or customer installed dash cam could fall into this category.

·
Registered
442 Posts
It’s quicker to put in reverse and then use 360. Doesn’t really bother me though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
95 Posts
In my ‘18 T8 I have to do that twice if I make the mistake of starting to pull in the garage. Pull in part way, obstacle screen comes up. Stop, Push home button, maybe swipe, either way it goes back to the obstacle screen, push home again, swipe, push camera, select 360. I try to remember to get the camera going before I start to enter the garage... I need it because my garage is just barely deep enough to hold the XC60 and otherwise I park just a little too short to where the garage door won’t close, or a little too long to where I can’t get into the door to the house without rubbing against the front of the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In my ‘18 T8 I have to do that twice if I make the mistake of starting to pull in the garage. Pull in part way, obstacle screen comes up. Stop, Push home button, maybe swipe, either way it goes back to the obstacle screen, push home again, swipe, push camera, select 360. I try to remember to get the camera going before I start to enter the garage... I need it because my garage is just barely deep enough to hold the XC60 and otherwise I park just a little too short to where the garage door won’t close, or a little too long to where I can’t get into the door to the house without rubbing against the front of the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That happens to me too, although only sporadically. I guess the obstacle detection is going off and pre-empting the home button push.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I agree, you shouldn't have to pop the car into reverse to get the camera. Unnecessary mechanical wear for such a simple software UX tweak. Most other luxury cars have a physical camera button to take you immediately there. The Volvo full Android infotainment showcase also has a dedicated camera button right on the homepage. Really no excuses to me.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Agreed. Volvo is too conservative on things like this and some of the auto pilot things as well, except for how long it takes the pilot to start braking when there is a stopped car ahead. that it is like Thelma and Louise, but 260 camera? You could crash the car fiddling with the buttons to make it visible.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo XC60 Momentum T6
122 Posts
I always park in my garage and to make sure I stop at the correct spot so that I can still open the rear entrance door, I attached a styrofoam ball to a piece of string and hung it from the ceiling, low enough so that I can see the front of the car hit the ball in the exact place I want to stop the car. Works every time...regardless of made/model of car that I am driving and I don't need the aid of any cameras. Very easy and cheap solution.

·
Registered
914 Posts
It's coming, probably with the Nov. software update.

A camera button has been in every preview of the revised UX that Volvo has shown.

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
I like to use the front camera when pulling out of tight alleys or when pulling out when a large truck parked next to me (I generally back in when parking). The front camera allows me to see down a sidewalk and look out for pedestrians or kids on bikes without putting the nose out in their path first. The local ATM actually presents this problem on a regular basis. It's only 1 swipe and two taps so I certainly use it anyhow. I think it's the most complex procedure I use on a regular basis which makes it feel more of a pain than it really is. As much as I don't like voice commands, it might be a good one to be able to say "front camera" "left camera" "360 camera" sorta like the "I'm hot" one...

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like to use the front camera when pulling out of tight alleys or when pulling out when a large truck parked next to me (I generally back in when parking). The front camera allows me to see down a sidewalk and look out for pedestrians or kids on bikes without putting the nose out in their path first. The local ATM actually presents this problem on a regular basis. It's only 1 swipe and two taps so I certainly use it anyhow. I think it's the most complex procedure I use on a regular basis which makes it feel more of a pain than it really is. As much as I don't like voice commands, it might be a good one to be able to say "front camera" "left camera" "360 camera" sorta like the "I'm hot" one...
I think that would be the most sensible solution, because it would be a software fix only.

I hope they add a button on the mid cycle refresh.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Any additional voice commands over the vehicles functions would be more than welcome.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I always park in my garage and to make sure I stop at the correct spot so that I can still open the rear entrance door, I attached a styrofoam ball to a piece of string and hung it from the ceiling, low enough so that I can see the front of the car hit the ball in the exact place I want to stop the car. Works every time...regardless of made/model of car that I am driving and I don't need the aid of any cameras. Very easy and cheap solution.
That's great for your garage. I have one of those balls too. It doesn't help much in ever other parking situation I encounter around town and it also doesn't excuse a dumb ergonomic snafu.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts