SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm back again with a few new "features" to my XC. About 60% of the time when I shift from Reverse to Drive (like when backing out of a parking space) the car is really slow to engage drive and it is really jerky when it does finally engage. Now today when I was leaving the K-mart parking lot (Who the heck still shops there!? :D ) I went from Park to Drive to pull out of my parking space and WHAM! the car slammed into gear harder than ever before. When I put the Gear Lever into Drive I waited 2 seconds before hitting the accelerator and the parking brake was set so there is no chance of torque-lock or anything weird like that happening. My car has 69,000 miles or 111,000 Kms on it and I have not changed the transmission fluid. The second new "Feature" is a hesitation during the 1-2 upshift that occurs 40% of the time. The car will either shift somewhat violently or hesitate and stutter. My car will also have a slow and rough downshift from 2-1 when I'm accelerating from 1-2 mph or 2-3 kms which happens 99% of the time.
Please help me out with any info you have on these issues.
Thank You!!

·
Super Moderator
3,791 Posts
The hesitation going into Drive sounds like the transmission fluid could be low. Maybe its time to get it serviced anyway...

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hello. I'm back again with a few new "features" to my XC. About 60% of the time when I shift from Reverse to Drive (like when backing out of a parking space) the car is really slow to engage drive and it is really jerky when it does finally engage. Now today when I was leaving the K-mart parking lot (Who the heck still shops there!? :D ) I went from Park to Drive to pull out of my parking space and WHAM! the car slammed into gear harder than ever before. When I put the Gear Lever into Drive I waited 2 seconds before hitting the accelerator and the parking brake was set so there is no chance of torque-lock or anything weird like that happening. My car has 69,000 miles or 111,000 Kms on it and I have not changed the transmission fluid. The second new "Feature" is a hesitation during the 1-2 upshift that occurs 40% of the time. The car will either shift somewhat violently or hesitate and stutter. My car will also have a slow and rough downshift from 2-1 when I'm accelerating from 1-2 mph or 2-3 kms which happens 99% of the time.
Please help me out with any info you have on these issues.
Thank You!!
I'm no help, but our XC60 tranny sucks, too. We have Safe and Secure, so whatever it is, it's Volvo's fault. We've been noting the transmission hunts, holds gear at odd times, clunks into gear, and the engine revs with no power applied to the wheels for at least 20,000 miles. Such a piece of junk after our 2006 XC70. If anyone at corporate was on top of things, they would have traded us into a new one and not applied CPO to our car and let the wholesale buyer deal with it. I bet you money they end up replacing the tranny next. We'll get more than our money's worth, but it doesn't make up for the inconvenience or the irritation when our loaner is a properly sorted XC60 T5 AWD. What could have been...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
653 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would start with changing the transmision oil, made a big difference in how the gearbox acted in my xc60.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I would start with changing the transmision oil, made a big difference in how the gearbox acted in my xc60.
I would imagine the transmission fluid is drained to replace the engine, but if someone knows for sure, please speak up.

To be clear, no improvement after our engine was replaced.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 2011 model had the same problem of hard shifting at low gears. I noticed this at about 45K miles. The dealer did a software update but that just helped a little bit. I traded in the car at 50K for a 2016 xc60. If I were keeping the 2011, I would definitely ask them to change the trans fluid. The deterioration of our trans happened after a 4000 miles holiday road trip. So I am guessing it's highly possible the fluid got bad after continuous operation.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My 2011 model had the same problem of hard shifting at low gears. I noticed this at about 45K miles. The dealer did a software update but that just helped a little bit. I traded in the car at 50K for a 2016 xc60. If I were keeping the 2011, I would definitely ask them to change the trans fluid. The deterioration of our trans happened after a 4000 miles holiday road trip. So I am guessing it's highly possible the fluid got bad after continuous operation.
You're probably right. I took a long trip to Oklahoma from Indianapolis and it got worse after that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes, long trips seem to affect the transmission performance. Even a couple hundred miles in 80 degree f weather was enough. I've had mine in 11 times now. Volvo has almost got it sorted but even the new transmission was having trouble. I really love the car so I've dealt with the issues but I do worry about ultimate reliability.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I've noticed an issue with my transmission. During my last service (40K), the dealership updated my transmission software (something I did not ask for or complain about). Since then, I've had a problem when accelerating from almost a stop. If I slow for a stop sign but don't come to a complete stop (barely creeping forward) and then step on the gas, the car tries to accelerate in 2nd, decides 2nd is too high of a gear, and then slams down into first. I am not pressing hard down on the accelerator (car will shift back to 2nd before 2K RPM).

I'm going to request that the transmission fluid be changed by the dealer. Quite frustrating that the dealer likely caused this problem by doing an "update" that I didn't request or want.

Anybody else with the same problem?

·
Registered
390 Posts
The hesitation going into Drive sounds like the transmission fluid could be low. Maybe its time to get it serviced anyway...
Could be low fluid level, it's a classic symptom.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've noticed an issue with my transmission. During my last service (40K), the dealership updated my transmission software (something I did not ask for or complain about). Since then, I've had a problem when accelerating from almost a stop. If I slow for a stop sign but don't come to a complete stop (barely creeping forward) and then step on the gas, the car tries to accelerate in 2nd, decides 2nd is too high of a gear, and then slams down into first. I am not pressing hard down on the accelerator (car will shift back to 2nd before 2K RPM).

I'm going to request that the transmission fluid be changed by the dealer. Quite frustrating that the dealer likely caused this problem by doing an "update" that I didn't request or want.

Yep. Happens to me every time

·
Registered
837 Posts

Yes, we brought ours if for some crappy shifting, got that same flash and now have the same symptoms you describe. Soooooo annoying in stop and go traffic and at regular stop signs with no traffic. I have resorted to manual mode just to avoid it...really fed up with this flash!

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, we brought ours if for some crappy shifting, got that same flash and now have the same symptoms you describe. Soooooo annoying in stop and go traffic and at regular stop signs with no traffic. I have resorted to manual mode just to avoid it...really fed up with this flash!
Yep. I've been using manual mode a lot more too. Definitely very annoying at stop signs like you mentioned.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm sort of relieved to hear that my issue isn't an isolated incident. I have an appointment at the dealer in two weeks. I'll advise if anything good or bad comes of it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I think I can tell what they tried to do with this software flash. One of the complaints that folks had was the shift from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop. It was a bit too abrupt. it was likely occurring a tad too soon and thus jerking the car a bit. So they decided to delay that. Unfortunately they erred in the other direction. The car now hangs out in second which would be fine if it just stayed in second when re-accelerating. indeed when manually shifting this is exactly what I and I suspect others are doing. This is really no problem with the turbo six and it's prodigious torque. however as described above the car doesn't do that and instead abruptly downshifts to first after it seems like it revs abit...making the downshift that much worse. If it isn't a downshift, the minimally the coverter is unlocked, flashes to its stall speed, and abruptly relocks. Interestingly, it was actually a little better right after the flash but quickly degraded to its current state.

As an aside my hatred for automatic transmissions is one of the items I loved about my Chevrolet volt. It's single speed smooth delivery of torque with no shifting made it the ultimate automatic transmission for me and one of the single best features of electric driving.

·
Registered
653 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts