SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a Volvo XC60 from 2019. When it is cold outside, under 10 degrees C, there is a loud metallic noise/vibration coming from the right exhaust of my Volvo XC60. I got it to the dealership and they seem to have absolutely no clue what could be. They changed a motor that controls the exhaust valve, but there is no difference.

I recorded it and uploaded on Youtube :

Have you seen anything like this?

Best,
Stefan

·
Registered
310 Posts
Now that it's -6 here mine has done it too. Something is misaligned with the exhaust system which corrects itself once it is warm.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The exhaust valve/flapper may expand/contract at a different rate than the surrounding pipe (different alloy) and develop clearance issues.

When it's cold, try switching to POWER mode (exhaust valve open) and see if the noise persists.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi.
I have the same issue. My dealer was in contact with the factory and it was advised to replace exhaust. So we replaced rear part first (in December I guess), it didn't help. In Jan we replaced middle part - same issue is in place.
Here is latest video which I recorded last week when it was colder in my garage. Btw, it is much louder when it is cold, I don't know what it can be connected to, but it drives me crazy.
I have MY20 T6 (2019)

·
Registered
310 Posts
I did it. Switched immediately to Dynamic mode after launching. Nothing, no effect at all
Same here, I climb in and immediately change the drive mode to Individual (power) when I start it. Still grinds/rattles when cold, but now that it's warmer it doesn't last as long. If I lived somewhere cold I imagine I'd hate it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same here, I climb in and immediately change the drive mode to Individual (power) when I start it. Still grinds/rattles when cold, but now that it's warmer it doesn't last as long. If I lived somewhere cold I imagine I'd hate it.
Which production year you have and what type of engine? T6?

·
Registered
7 Posts
So the issue apperas mainly on T6.
Heard from dealer that it happened also on XC90 T6.

I left mine at dealer site for another fix attempt, and they finally managed.
They replaced some "drops collector" (some collector of drops from exhaust as per their explanation). They installed one from diesel version and it worked.
Have no clue wether it was a root cause or it just changed the sound/resonation which is now different and is not allowing original issue to appear. Dealer request factory to accept it as a fix.
If so yhen it should appear in TJ as a fix soon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Has the dealer checked the exhaust heat shields? There are several - if any are even slightly loose it could cause this type of buzzing (which reduces or disappears when the car is warmed up).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has the dealer checked the exhaust heat shields? There are several - if any are even slightly loose it could cause this type of buzzing (which reduces or disappears when the car is warmed up).
Yes, it was done few times.
After that - exhaust itself was replaced as it was suggested by factory. It didn't help as well.
Only latest change did

1 - 12 of 12 Posts