SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a concept rendering of the rumored Volvo XC50 which is said to share platforms with the soon to be released Landrover Freelander

I wouldn't mind one in my driveway.

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
Re: XC50 Rendering (Shomare)

Looks like an XC90 production reject..

·
Registered
1,368 Posts

I was going to say it looks alot like a morphed Freelander. Or at the very least it would compete with it. So the rumor it is as well built on a freelander derived platform is no suprice. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
91 Posts
Re: XC50 Rendering (RANGO)

Will the XC-50 will compete against the 5-seat RX300/ML350 size vehicle or the 5-seat BMW X3/Honda CRV/Toyota Rav4/Subaru Forester size vehicle? How will the XC-50 be cross-shopped? FWIW, the X3 has not sold well in Seattle.

The suprise demographic is the number of over-50 people who purchase the Honda Element that I observe in the greater Seattle area. When I ask them why, they often say SUVs provide easier Ingress and Egress for people with lower back problems (read: over 50), than a sedan or wagon. Add in Extra cargo capacity for trips to the box stores. Women prefer SUVs for greater visibility (women tend to be shorter than men). Not to mention price point compared to the XC-90 and the recent spike in fuel prices. Profit margins are greter for SUVs than for cars/wagons. Should be a hot rod with the new Volvo I6 motor.

I will get in my usual quick plug for ininstalling making Rear Park Assist (RPA) a standard feature for all Volvo vehicles (another "World First" for Volvo).

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Pic looks like a photoshopped XC90 with the roof chopped and tail rounded a bit. I would imagine that this would compete with the "cute utes" like the Acura RDX, BMW X3, Subaru Outback Limited/LL Bean, and upcoming Mercedes mini ute (forget the class name).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Re: XC50 Rendering (Nato740)

Quote, originally posted by Nato740 »
I was going to say it looks alot like a morphed Freelander. Or at the very least it would compete with it. So the rumor it is as well built on a freelander derived platform is no suprice. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

I was under the impression that the next Freelander looked almost exactly like a shrunken LR3 and was quite handsome in the spy shots. If the XC50 shared a platform, I doubt the rear of the XC would be anywhere near as sloped as this rendering.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Re: XC50 Rendering (Johann)

Quote, originally posted by Johann »
Looks like an XC90 production reject..

LOL! Yup, I second that too!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: XC50 Rendering (RANGO)

Quote, originally posted by RANGO »
I would prefer to have a smaller XC70 I'm just not a SUV guy.

couldnt agree more. I dont want a small SUV, I want a beefed-up V50 wagon.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: XC50 Rendering (dagovna)

Quote, originally posted by dagovna »
Stop you making my head hurt!!!

The Freeloader is going to be on the C1 platform?

YOU crack me up!!!

Yannis

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: XC50 Rendering (MenardVolvo)

Quote, originally posted by MenardVolvo »

couldnt agree more. I dont want a small SUV, I want a beefed-up V50 wagon.

Hold on...THAT alone would make you buy it?

Volvo..helloooooooo? That is the ONLY reason the V50 is not seeling better!

Oh, by the way...the "BEEFIER" version would come at an additonal premium...you know...ANGUS beef costs a lot more!

Yannis

·
Registered
467 Posts
Re: XC50 Rendering (GrecianVolvo)

Truthfully, I couldnt buy one regardless. New Volvos are way out of my price range. I have just grown up with wagons (1980 Diesel 245, 1989 245, currently 1992 245) and I have a presonal vendetta against SUVs, so I can be considered a biased opinion. I think there are too many miny SUVs on the road, when a wagon gets the job done better. I know I can fit more into my 245 wagon (ok, my 245 is bigger than a V50) than most of my friends can fit in their Ford Explorers, Ranger Pick-Ups and Jeep Cherokees, and I still get better gas mileage. But, I do not mean to take away from the original idea for this thread. I do not find that pic unattractive, just my 2 cents on what I would like to see in an XC50.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Hey does anyone know when this thing will arrive? I like what I've seen of the Acura RDX, wonder if XC50 will be similar...?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

Quote, originally posted by rfkuehn »
Hey does anyone know when this thing will arrive? I like what I've seen of the Acura RDX

Acura RDX? Scion anyone???
Quote »
wonder if XC50 will be similar...?

Thank God, no!

Yannis

·
Registered
109 Posts
Re: (GrecianVolvo)

Is the XC50 going to be an actual SUV or an SUV-ized wagon? The name seems to imply the wagon derivative, since the V50/XC50 would parallel the V70/XC70 relationship. The pictures of the XC50, however, make it look like a bona fide SUV like the XC90.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts

"Thank God, no" says Yannis.

Well, let's see. Here's the internet buzz on the Acura RDX:

- 2.3 liter, DOHC i-VTEC Turbo 4-cyl, 240 hp, 260 lb-ft, w/ variable geometry
- Super Handling AWD
- Paddle shifters
- Navigation standard
- HandsFreeLink (Bluetooth)
- AcuraLink satellite communication system with real-time traffic
- Acura/ELS surround Premium Sound System w/ XM
- ACE body structure
- Vehicle Stability Assist & ABS
- Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights
- Price $32-34k?

Hmmm... Seems to me that a Volvo with these kinds of specs would be great, I know I'd park one next to my XC90. So Yannis, what's the problem here?

So is the XC50 going to be a small SUV, or a "beefed-up" V50?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Re: (rfkuehn)

Quote, originally posted by rfkuehn »
"Thank God, no" says Yannis.

Well, let's see. Here's the internet buzz on the Acura RDX:

- 2.3 liter, DOHC i-VTEC Turbo 4-cyl, 240 hp, 260 lb-ft, w/ variable geometry
- Super Handling AWD
- Paddle shifters
- Navigation standard
- HandsFreeLink (Bluetooth)
- AcuraLink satellite communication system with real-time traffic
- Acura/ELS surround Premium Sound System w/ XM
- ACE body structure
- Vehicle Stability Assist & ABS
- Xenon high-intensity discharge (HID) headlights
- Price $32-34k?

Hmmm... Seems to me that a Volvo with these kinds of specs would be great, I know I'd park one next to my XC90. So Yannis, what's the problem here?

So is the XC50 going to be a small SUV, or a "beefed-up" V50?

My "Thank God no" had to do strictly on the looks department.

As far as the rest...am I supposed to be impressed?

*260 lbs-ft of torque? At what rpm? 7,000?
*"super" handling AWD? Yeah, we took the new RL through its paces on autocross...it sucked. Well, not exactly but it fell way off everyone's expectations...
*paddle shifters? "Nice" gadget. Especially on an SUV. Try convinving the majority of the population who will be owning this thing (female) that paddle shifting will be useful to them...especially when they turn the wheel (actually, males will suffer from the same malaise)
*Navigation standard? http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
*AcuraLink satellite communication system with real-time traffic? http://********************/smile/emthup.gif
*Acura Premium Sound...so?
We have to wait and see what Volvo come sup with...the new stereo in the MY07 XC90s is promising, too.
*ACE body structure?
No, thanks. I will take SIPS with its 4 different grades of high strength steel.
*Vehicle stability w/. ABS? WOW!!!!

*Xenon HID lights???? DOUBLE wow! WOW! WOW!

*Price...are you not sure of the $32K-$34K?

Yannis

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
*260 lbs-ft of torque? At what rpm? 7,000?

It's a turbo so doubtful on this one. If it was a NA VTEC, torque wouldn't be anywhere close to this number regardless of RPM/

Quote, originally posted by GrecianVolvo »
*"super" handling AWD? Yeah, we took the new RL through its paces on autocross...it sucked. Well, not exactly but it fell way off everyone's expectations...

That's like taking an S80 through an autocross. Not exactly a sporting chassis or designed to be an R competitor. In a smaller vehicle, the SH-AWD could be interesting IMO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts