1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
997 Posts
Any idea when this might come to USA? Guessing late 20 if not 21...

·
Registered
122 Posts
Personally i don't see the value in an expensive hybrid. Adding batteries and electrical drives to a complex combustion engine adds what exactly?! I mean you pay more than the money you save at the pump in initial cost, depreciation and overall upkeep. You still have a combustion engine that needs maintenance, but with less cylinders.

No thanks! I will wait for the EV.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Personally i don't see the value in an expensive hybrid. Adding batteries and electrical drives to a complex combustion engine adds what exactly?! I mean you pay more than the money you save at the pump in initial cost, depreciation and overall upkeep. You still have a combustion engine that needs maintenance, but with less cylinders.

It is personal of course. Anyhow all T8 owners are quite happy.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts

I can see your point, but when you're paying the equivalent of $7/gal for gas that 30mi on a charge for a EV can really help over the lifetime of the vehicle.

·
Registered
105 Posts
$7/gal??!! I feel your pain! How much is diesel?
$5.20ish

premium is actually closer to $6.70, but you get what I'm saying. Might be why they're pushing it out in the U.K. first. While Americans are more of a driving culture it will probably benefit more people where gas prices are bananas.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It usually cost me around $85 to fill up in Norway in July. I used "economy" when I could, but P* in manual mode in the mountains, using 7.7 or 7.8 liters per 100 kms.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
It usually cost me around $85 to fill up in Norway in July. I used "economy" when I could, but P* in manual mode in the mountains, using 7.7 or 7.8 liters per 100 kms.
It is incredible how the Norwegian govt. is defunding petroleum despite being a big producer of oil for the sake of the environment!

I understand Tesla has the highest market share for some time now?

·
Registered
667 Posts
It is personal of course. Anyhow all T8 owners are quite happy.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
I have heard many Volvo PHEV (T8) owners who are very unhappy with the reliability of their vehicles, and this plus their poor all-electric range has kept me (thus far) from buying a Volvo PHEV (sadly for me, because I've been a continuous ICE-only Volvo owner since 1985).
But as a non-Volvo PHEV owner who has driven 20k miles with a fabulous PHEV, I can say why I think that a *good* PHEV is for me superior to ICE-only and to electric-only vehicles:
(1) If you can get 25+ miles of all-electric range (as I have gotten with my PHEV), most people can do most (or all) of their local daily commuting in all-electric mode. I went from filling up weekly in my ICE-only vehicles to filling up once every 5-6 weeks in my PHEV, when I didn't do out-of-town trips. When only driving locally (daily), I plug in every night and have a full charge the next morning. I have saved about $100/month in "fuel" costs -- gas + electric vs. gas only -- with the same driving habits. But the gas savings isn't the biggest thing for me; avoiding gas stations is an even bigger plus (who enjoys going to gas stations?). It's just so much nicer plugging in at night in my garage and rarely having to visit a gas station.
(2) No range anxiety, because you have the best of both worlds, so to speak: You can drive mostly in electric mode, but also can drive long distances without worrying about finding a charging station. And I still get really good gas mileage on long-distance cross-country trips (28 mpg) in my PHEV, even without plugging in.
(3) The instant torque when starting from zero with the electric motor, and the quietness of it, is amazing and fun. My PHEV is way more fun than any ICE vehicle that I've ever driven (and I've driven a 2014 Ferrari FF with a V12 engine, as well as numerous Porsche Panamera Turbos). My PHEV goes up to 87 mph in all-electric mode without the ICE kicking in. And the extra power with both the engine and electric motor working together is really cool.
(4) It's nice to drive in and out of my garage and neighborhood quietly and emission-free in electric-only mode; no exhaust fumes in the garage.
(5) Rarely having to replace brakes, because of regenerative braking even in PHEVs. Most of PHEV braking does not involve the brake pads.

I experienced zero problems with my PHEV in the first 13 months and 20k miles of driving it. That said, I will say that I'd be afraid of owning any PHEV outside of warranty. So, PHEVs in my mind are best for (a) those who keep them only under warranty, and (b) those who can plug in every night at home. I keep waiting for Volvo to improve their (PH)EV technology. I've driven multiple versions of the XC90, XC60, and S90 PHEVs (T8s), and just have been underwhelmed with them. Hearing about the many problems that T8 owners are having with their vehicles makes me wary, even though I would LOVE to buy a Volvo PHEV. But I won't buy any PHEV with under about 16-18 kWh in the battery pack, moving forward -- not worth it because the range just is too inferior for my needs.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But Volvo T8 has better MPG on long trip than yours that carries heavier battery.
So it is just trade-off. PHEV works if the e-range fits the need.

Or if you are willing to sacrifice power for longer range, a range extender works better.

Don't know where you heard (maybe selectively) many T8 problems. There are not many scary T8 posts in forums here at all.

·
Registered
163 Posts
XC40 T4 Twin Engine 211hp, announced in Sweden!

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
XC40 T4 Twin Engine 211hp, announced in Sweden!
This is interesting. Is it lighter and get better mileage? Hopefully the vibration of T3 ICE is not noticeable with the help of battery.

Any potential to tune this T3 to add 30HP? :)

·
Registered
997 Posts
I don't know why the USA is so stubbornly behind on electrification... uhh never mind, I actually do know..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts