SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My unit arrived Tacoma port a week ago. It's now 'on hold' pending firmware updates from Volvo Sweden. Based on the chatter around Volvo On Call it seems this may be the source of blockage. Anyone have further details to share?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Same for me, it's been at Port Hueneme since Feb 11. My dealer in Northern California doesn't seem to have any clue outside of the fact that it is still in shipping, but I got this note from Volvo corporate customer service, from other forums it looks like everyone is getting a similar note. Someone in a FB group said their dealer told them 2 weeks, but it's unconfirmed.

I am pleased to inform you that your Recharge has arrived at the port. However, at this time delivery of your XC40 Recharge will be delayed due to the Volvo On Call system not yet being functional due to a software issue. We are awaiting word from Volvo Sweden on final updates for the cars in the ports. We will inform you once we have more information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same here. Mine is in the Baltimore port. Just heard today after inquiring about the hold. No ETA given other than they are waiting on Volvo Sweden.

Seems odd given that there are demo models all over the US being driven by press/media. Also, why not release cars and do an “over the air” update?? Does the issue keep them from clearing customs?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine appears to be stuck at the Brunswick port in Georgia as well. Especially frustrating considering it will have to travel all the way to TX once it is released. I expect this delay to push back my estimated delivery at least a month.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My XC40 recharge is stuck in Baltimore port also. Having hard time getting info/updates from dealer or Volvo. Was originally scheduled for Feb 10 delivery. So frustrating! First the dealer blamed the weather, then charging infrastructure, now software. Hoping for updates!

·
Registered
480 Posts
My unit arrived Tacoma port a week ago. It's now 'on hold' pending firmware updates from Volvo Sweden. Based on the chatter around Volvo On Call it seems this may be the source of blockage. Anyone have further details to share?

View attachment 119049
Our XC60 T8 arrived at the Port of Tacoma near the end of last June. It finally made it to the dealer - less than five miles away - three weeks later. No communication from anyone as to why it sat there for three weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our xc40 recharge arrived at Baltimore on Feb 11th and we received the same message about the issue with Volvo on Call and waiting for direction from Sweden... Very disappointing. I don't understand why they can't update over the air after delivery.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Volvo would love to sell those cars and make a profit. Likely there is a major software bug that engineers are feverishly working to fix and test. That if the car was delivered to you it would be a major issue and even more complaints would then be forthcoming. I agree it must be frustrating. But the XC40 Recharge is a great vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hard to believe there is a major bug if there are already people driving around in these cars, both in the US and Europe.

Volvo would love to sell those cars and make a profit. Likely there is a major software bug that engineers are feverishly working to fix and test. That if the car was delivered to you it would be a major issue and even more complaints would then be forthcoming. I agree it must be frustrating. But the XC40 Recharge is a great vehicle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mine’s also sitting in Baltimore port. Hope they throw them on a trickle charger at some point, if the phantom battery drain is anything like I’ve seen in my Tesla, it can’t sit around unplugged forever.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I don't understand why they can't update over the air after delivery.
Because the car is sold with VOC and the first person that crashes it and then doesn't get emergency service automatically called because VOC doesn't function at that time will sue the pants off Volvo......so now here is where you are. Frustrating I'm sure. My ordered S60 sat at ports for quite some time awaiting seat belt upgrades. It's horrible as an excited customer to have to wait when ownership is so close.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Latest info I got from Volvo...
I am afraid that the decision was made by headquarters in Sweden to hold the cars at the port until the update was performed. We haven't yet been given a timeframe for delivery, but we will follow up with you as soon as we receive any updates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ours is also in Tacoma. But unlike others, we haven't received any word from Volvo about the delay, even though I have contacted them a couple of times in the last week. Our dealer didn't know anything. I read about the VOC issue in a KBB article online...
It's frustrating, but after waiting a year for a Covid Vaccine shot, I guess I can wait a couple of more weeks for the ReCharge:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine’s also sitting in Baltimore port. Hope they throw them on a trickle charger at some point, if the phantom battery drain is anything like I’ve seen in my Tesla, it can’t sit around unplugged forever.
Unlike Tesla, the saving grace is that the XC40 does not have Sentry Mode, which is the main cause of phantom drain in my Model 3. But I hope that like Tesla, the XC40 goes into sleep mode to minimize drain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope the XC40 has Sleep Mode, like our Teslas, to minimize drain.

·
Premium Member
1,473 Posts
I think it's probably similar to the car play issues with the 2016 XC90. The car was promised (and the window sticker says) it has some features that it doesn't yet. We had two demo cars and someone bought one before the stop sale came out. They've been driving with no issues and we told them when they got it they were getting a new car that wasn't all there yet. For example... the car they got you can't remove bluetooth devices from... but on theirs, the button to remove old devices was missing. We had all had our personal phones on the cars testing things out. They were cool about it and just excited to have it. With over the air updates I can't explain why one had different systems than the other and it wasn't something that fixed in a day or two. So I think it's some growing pains. I'd imagine they'll be getting these all in customers hands asap. We have a majority of our inbound units presold at this point.

·
Registered
996 Posts
anyone know what the new range bump went to?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts