SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, our XC40 R-Design was totaled. My son took it to the dealer to get the windshield replaced (rock from a truck) and on the way home from getting it replaced he was stuck in traffic on the interstate. All 3 lanes of traffic stopped and my son was stopped in the XC40 about a car length and a half behind the driver in front of him. An idiot driver came along behind him and didn't even slow down and hit him at ~50 MPH. Hit him so hard that it knocked the car over a car length forward and damaged the car in front of him. All airbags deployed, etc. The XC40 did rear collision sensing, tightened the seat belt and applied the brakes, and the car protected him well, but my son did suffer some hearing damage from the airbag deployment. The XC40 was totaled however, as was the car that hit him of course.

He took delivery of a brand new XC40 R-Design last week and we are happy to have the new one. It's the same as the old one (loaded) but it also has the Polestar upgrade, which he didn't have before, plus the upgraded audio system.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Well, our XC40 R-Design was totaled. My son took it to the dealer to get the windshield replaced (rock from a truck) and on the way home from getting it replaced he was stuck in traffic on the interstate. All 3 lanes of traffic stopped and my son was stopped in the XC40 about a car length and a half behind the driver in front of him. An idiot driver came along behind him and didn't even slow down and hit him at ~50 MPH. Hit him so hard that it knocked the car over a car length forward and damaged the car in front of him. All airbags deployed, etc. The XC40 did rear collision sensing, tightened the seat belt and applied the brakes, and the car protected him well, but my son did suffer some hearing damage from the airbag deployment. The XC40 was totaled however, as was the car that hit him of course.

He took delivery of a brand new XC40 R-Design last week and we are happy to have the new one. It's the same as the old one (loaded) but it also has the Polestar upgrade, which he didn't have before, plus the upgraded audio system.
Using psychic powers, I presume the idiot plowing into him was on his cell phone / texting and chances are had crap or no insurance?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Using psychic powers, I presume the idiot plowing into him was on his cell phone / texting and chances are had crap or no insurance?
Haha, my guess, too! We so many idiots texting/driving on our way to work - I so wish the cops would nail more of these people, and for big $$. That's one way to solve state budget issues!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Volvo for life. You made the right choice, twice.

Any pictures of the wrecked XC40?

·
Registered
997 Posts
glad to here he is ok..

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Haha, my guess, too! We so many idiots texting/driving on our way to work - I so wish the cops would nail more of these people, and for big $$. That's one way to solve state budget issues!
Damn near impossible to catch, unless someone is weaving or going super slow without reason. But ya, I'm pretty sure the kid that rear ended my car probably was on his phone, too..

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Thank goodness your son is okay! It's unfortunate that he has the hearing damage, but it could have been very much worse.

Here's a site for others where "Volvo saved my life"
http://www.volvosavedmylife.com/read-the-stories-1.html
I got a free Volvo Tote bag when I emailed Corporate about my Volvo saved my Life story. (Not this car). My previous one got plowed into by an SUV at around 65MPH. Car was a complete loss.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We aren't sure, but had the same suspicions.

·
Registered
132 Posts

Best advertisement for Volvo is to be in a serious accident in a Volvo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Many drivers were caught using this technique:

BETHESDA, Md. - Montgomery County police are using an interesting method to catch drivers they suspect of texting while behind the wheel.

The department placed an officer -- disguised as a homeless man -- at the intersection of River Road and Goldsboro Road in Bethesda. The officer, equipped with a wireless microphone, held a sign that read, "I am not homeless. I am a Montgomery County Police Officer looking for cell phone texting violations."

When drivers pulled out their phones to text while waiting at the stop light, the disguised officer called to uniformed officers waiting nearby.

·
Registered
16,819 Posts
Yes - heard about that.
DOZENS of violators in a short time. Hilarious. You can always spot the phonies - they've got a big gap in front of them and/or they're weaving ever so slightly.
https://wtop.com/montgomery-county/2018/04/distracted-driving-sting-montgomery-co-snags-65-drivers-come/

BETHESDA, Md. - Montgomery County police are using an interesting method to catch drivers they suspect of texting while behind the wheel.

The department placed an officer -- disguised as a homeless man -- at the intersection of River Road and Goldsboro Road in Bethesda. The officer, equipped with a wireless microphone, held a sign that read, "I am not homeless. I am a Montgomery County Police Officer looking for cell phone texting violations."

When drivers pulled out their phones to text while waiting at the stop light, the disguised officer called to uniformed officers waiting nearby.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts

Except studies have proven that hands free is no more safe than talking directly on the phone. Because your brain is split between focusing on the call and driving.

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/international/2019/10/09/544966.htm

·
Registered
337 Posts

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
I think your attention level is different when you are talking to someone on the phone versus sitting next to them talking, at least it seems to me.

Certainly driver distraction is a huge issue that automakers need to try and address. I guess the answer has been electronic nannies like lane keeping and autobraking.

The person who hit OP's son should have had their phone confiscated by the cops so they could figure out whether or how the phone was being used immediately prior to the crash.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
Yea, I’ve heard that but I wonder how is hands free talking any different than talking to a live passenger in your car? What are we going to ban all talking in cars?
I would guess, and I'm not a research so this is purely speculation, the brain handles a passenger and a phone call differently. A passenger is right next to you and you can keep eyes on the road and listen. But yes, you may turn your head to see the passenger or listen at times, which is where the distraction arises.

On a hands free call (or handheld call), your brain is attuned to listening. The person isn't in the vehicle, so a great deal of attention is being paid to hearing what's being said in the conversation. Which means a higher level of being distracted. Comparative to you're watching a T.V. show and the phone rings. You're talking to your buddy on the phone, while still trying to keep up with what's happening on the television. Your brain is being split between two tasks and ultimately you are hearing parts of the show and hearing parts of your conversation. But never catching the full amount of either.

Take this same situation (watching a t.V. show) and a friend, wife, etc is sitting next to you. They are asking questions about a series they've never seen as you are watching together. Sure, it's distracting but you are generally able to tune them out and give quick answers. While maintaining a greater focus on the actual program. Not true for the Phone Call and T.V. experience, because you are having to divert more effort to listening to the call.

·
Registered
7,819 Posts
I think your attention level is different when you are talking to someone on the phone versus sitting next to them talking, at least it seems to me.

Certainly driver distraction is a huge issue that automakers need to try and address. I guess the answer has been electronic nannies like lane keeping and autobraking.

The person who hit OP's son should have had their phone confiscated by the cops so they could figure out whether or how the phone was being used immediately prior to the crash.
Doubt that would be legal. Cops cannot confiscate property without a warrant or probable cause. A person driving and getting into a wreck isn't enough cause for the cops to take his cell phone and scour the call logs. Not unless the driver readily admits to driving and talking, and even then, I doubt the responding officer would be within his right to do so either. Course, if the driver hands it over, that's on him or her.

Now if the case becomes a criminal investigation, I'm sure the prosecutor could supoena the driver's cellular records, if there's enough evidence exists to determine X crime was a result of distracted driving.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts