SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Short camping trip, this weekend; camper weights 1,590 lbs, dry; I estimated about 2,100 loaded plus an extra 150 lbs of gear/supplies inside the car.

XC40 pulls it without any effort...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Looks like fun, Yannis.

Glad to know the "little" one can do some work.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like fun, Yannis.

Glad to know the "little" one can do some work.
Thank you; didn’t have to tackle major mountain climbs but it performed flawlessly. I have no doubt it would have done great even if I had to go up in the Sierras with it.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Still looking clean and pristine. Hope you and the lads had a great weekend.
Yes, it’s been taken care of and camping is always a good time! Sad to have to let it go at the end of June but we are excited about the S60 T6 Inscription and the “change of pace”

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Looks good. How did you see surroundings when backing up with that trailer?

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks good. How did you see surroundings when backing up with that trailer?
What do you mean?
Rear view mirror visibility was not an issue since the camper’s top is well below the rear window.
Side view mirrors (BLIS is disabled) worked well to let me know who is around me.

Backing up is just a matter of practice, using the rear view mirrors.
I can also parallel park with the trailer attached

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
In terms of backing up the trailer and making sure it hasn't hit something under the trailer's (low) top. I suppose it's not that big of a problem.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How was it compared to the XC90?
The only XC90 I have towed with was a T6 (one summer without Polestar, the other two summers the XC90s I used both had Polestar).

S0, the difference was there but I never felt that the XC40 struggled. It handled everything very well, accelerating, even braking (my camper has no brakes but I know how/when to accelerate and to look ahead when I anticipate braking). The braking action felt virtually the same as it did with the XC90 despite the weight different between the two cars.

When towing, I do prefer a little more the XC90's "heavier" steering; placebo effect makes me think I have a little better steering control but, again, I would have absolutely no qualms taking the XC40 and the camper to any of California's mountains.

At highway speeds, 60mph to 65mph, both cars felt equally stable but that probably has to do with the stabilizing software that comes with either car when installing the OEM tow hitch.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In terms of backing up the trailer and making sure it hasn't hit something under the trailer's (low) top. I suppose it's not that big of a problem.
It is really not a problem but it is not something you wake up one morning and decide to do and expect perfection and/or no issues.

It takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it (not expecting the trailer to go where you are steering ;) ) , it's all good; just use extra caution and if you have someone riding with you, it may be a good idea to have that person come out and ensure all is clear.

Start with maneuvering on an empty parking lot. As I wrote above, I have no problems even parallel parking any Volvo towing this camper :D It's fun.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
It is really not a problem but it is not something you wake up one morning and decide to do and expect perfection and/or no issues.
Makes sense. I was curious whether or not you felt the need to place a reverse camera at the back of the trailer to cover its blind spot (e.g. for deciding when to stop when reversing onto the edge of a parking spot). Per your answer, that would be a no.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Makes sense. I was curious whether or not you felt the need to place a reverse camera at the back of the trailer to cover its blind spot (e.g. for deciding when to stop when reversing onto the edge of a parking spot). Per your answer, that would be a no.
Yeah, that is one of the advantages of towing a pop-up camper vs a regular camper; you have a clear view of what is behind the trailer.

·
Registered
305 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You must be excited about your forthcoming S60. I see it won the Motorweek 2019 Best Sports Sedan Driver's Choice Award.
http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/drivers_choice_awards/#/best-sport-sedan :rave:
Yes, I am very excited about it (even though it will be my wife's car); at the office, we have a V60 T6 Inscription spec'd exactly like the S60 T6 I spec'd for my wife; that car is an amazing performer (especially in the handling department). Driving it is very exciting and fun so I am looking forward to experiencing the same with the S60.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm looking for a small Travel Trailer- 20-21FT. I see the Towing for XC40 as 3,500 lbs and hitch weight of 350 lbs. Any recommendations on brands/models that are light enough to easily tow? I've looked at YouTube and googled types of campers the XC 40 is able to tow, but thought maybe someone has a small camper they may want to suggest. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts