SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents:
Is the XC70 cross country chasis built upon the S80 or the S60, or what?
Is the XC available with the inline 6 or only with the 5 cylinder engine?
Thanks

·
Registered
339 Posts
Re: XC Platform question (Gunner S60)

the P2 platform consists of the following cars:
S60, S80, V70, XC70, XC90.

basically everything but the S40, V40 and C70. the C70 is still the old 850 platform.

the XC70 is a 5-cylinder only.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Re: XC Platform question (mjbr24)

More on that, while based on the P2 like the S80 and the XC90, the 70 series shares more with the S60, including body panels and interior pieces and trim.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: XC Platform question ([email protected])

My thanks to you experts.
Any idea how they modify the P2 platform to fit the various model wheelbases, widths etc? Gussets? which has best chasis strength? Can that be known outside of the engineering departments? Can it be inferred from collision studies?

·
Registered
10,097 Posts

That's why they call it a platform.
The complete production line can adapt to these sizes.
The S80/XC90 chassis is ~1,5" wider compared to the V70/S60 and from what I have heard it is the maximum possible within this manufacturing setup and also the reason why Volvo never released a manual T6, not enough space.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: XC Platform question (Johann)

Johann, are there sliding or overlapping joints that permit the "same" P2 platform panels to reach slightly differing dimensions? Seems to me this is the most likely way a sngle platform could be stretched slightly to achieve the variable sizes, then those joints would be locked together by robotic "spot" welding. I'm just curious how such things are done on the production lines today. My thanks. Incidentally my S60 has a little tag which says manufactured in Belgium. Anybody work there?

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

quote:

Incidentally my S60 has a little tag which says manufactured in Belgium. Anybody work there?
All S60s are manufactured at the Ghent plant (Belgium).

Yannis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts