SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 98 XC to the dealer twice and they can't find anything wrong. At highway speeds about every 5 to 10 miles you can feel the engine miss. Also idling either in drive or park the engine will drop rpms then recover. Does anyone have any ideas I'm almost to my 40k service

·
Registered
528 Posts
The RPM drop idle at I've heard many times before, but have never heard a solution. The engine miss at freeway speeds I've never heard of. I'm sure it's impossible to reproduce when you have a service guy riding with you, right? Welcome to my world

Sorry I can't be of more help.

- Darell

[This message has been edited by darell (edited 11-09-2001).]

·
Registered
439 Posts
Could have nothing to do with it, but have they checked the OXS (Oxygen Sensor)? Might also be a prob with the ECU or fuel injection system.

[This message has been edited by Evolvo (edited 06-21-2001).]

·
Registered
49 Posts
What "idle drop" at idle? My wife has a '98 V70AWD and I do notice from time to time while idling that it will almost "stumble" just for a second, then catch itself and idle fine after that. I'm sure it would never happen if brought to the dealer for this though. ;-)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Follow Up:

Took my XC in for the 40k service and was told they could find nothing wrong.

Just completed my 45k service and they performed the following:

1. Injector cleaing
2. Intake cleaning
2. Flushed Tran fluid.

Now the miss is gone at high speed and the "idle drop" is gone. Plus the hard shift from 1st to 2nd is gone. Car feels brand new now!!

P.S. I do a fair amount of driving in the desert on non-paved roads which stirs up a lot of dust when I'm enjoying the 4wd.

·
Registered
30 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by bk3104:
What "idle drop" at idle? My wife has a '98 V70AWD and I do notice from time to time while idling that it will almost "stumble" just for a second, then catch itself and idle fine after that. I'm sure it would never happen if brought to the dealer for this though. ;-)
I recently had my S70 in for service. One complaint I had was a stumble at idle. They uploaded a software fix for the computer. So far it hasn't stumbled since the fix. You may want to see if this fix would apply to your car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1998 XC that I have owned since new.

Soon after I bought the car I experienced similar problems.

My dealer reprogrammed the software in the car. I think when I had it done I needed to wait for a Volvo representative to install the new software. It took about 5 minutes and was covered under warranty.

I believe there was a recall for this situation. Have your dealer check your VIN #
and see if it is covered in the recall.

This problem was discussed on brickboard.com at the time and I think they referred to it as " skip and dip".

I hope this helps. This would be a very simple solution.

·
Registered
528 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by bk3104:
What "idle drop" at idle?
Here I am responding just five months later. Oops. I meant "RPM" drop at idle. A stumble, as others have described. For the life of me, I can't figure out why this seems to plague more XCs than the other models. Even into the 2001 model.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts