Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm also a member of the Tesla Motors Club (TMC) Model X forum:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/84-Model-X

Some of our members that have $40K or $5K deposits for up to 3.5 years for a Model X aren't happy with one aspect or another, such as the fact that the second row seats do not fold flat to the floor, or they would have rather purchased a larger battery. Those folks are looking at other alternatives, and one of them is the Volvo XC 90 T8.

I was curious about the XC 90 T8 so did some reading on the internet so I could compare it to the 2016 Model X. This is what I came up with:

Full disclosure: TSLA stockholder since 2012. Own no stock in Volvo's parent holding company.

Volvo is owned by Chinese-automaker Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, aka Geely [source: Wikipedia.org]

Personally, as an American citizen, I would buy a Tesla before I would EVER even consider buying a product from a company that is owned by a Chinese firm. It's nothing personal. In fact, my wife is Taiwanese-American. I spent 3 weeks in China this past May touring the country. I had a great time except the major cities are so polluted I wondered how anybody can live there.

IMHO, Americans need to support our American economy and American manufacturing jobs. Geely has already started exporting Chinese-made Volvos to the USA:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/20/asia/shanghai-auto-show-volvo/

Volvo XC90 T8 Plug-In Hybrid Compared to Model X Pure BEV:

• T8 has a 400 hp 2.0 liter direct-injected turbo & supercharged internal combustion engine I certainly don't want polluting the environment whenever it kicks in. Nor do I want to have to go to a gas station to fill it up, or pay the dealer to service it.
  • Both can tow 5,000 lbs.
  • T8 electric-only range is 25 miles which is a joke, and it also says "save mode allows for optimal charge of battery while driving ensuring battery energy level provides about 12 miles of pure electric driving". Impressed! (not) X P90D range is 250 EPA, while 90D is 257.
  • T8 has Start/Stop Tech to turn off engine at traffic lights so you don't pollute the environment when you're not going anywhere. So does my Mercedes. ICE desperation!
  • T8 has Air Suspension option, but no GPS-based automation like the X.
  • T8 Interior Air Quality System (IAQS) "removes 70% of fine dust", and they also "vent out emissions before drivers enter". The X doesn't have any "emissions" to vent out, and Elon said they could not detect anything inside the X cabin with their system: "it is almost like a hospital operating room".
  • T8 has "Roll(over) Stability Control (RSC)" which I'm sure they need since they don't have the X's very low center of gravity
  • T6 EPA is 20 (City)/25 (Highway)/22 (Combined). X 90D is 90 (City)/94 (Highway)/92 (Combined). X P90D is 89 (City)/90 (Highway)/89 (Combined).
  • I didn't see any published T8 safety ratings?
  • T8 0-60 mph: 5.9 sec. X 90D: 4.8 sec. X P90D: 3.8 sec., 3.2 sec. with Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
  • T8 is missing many other X features that are too numerous to list here. Are there any XC90 T8 features missing from the X?

Volvo XC90 T8 base price is less expensive, but like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

This vehicle will be minor competition for the X, which I believe will eat Benz ML, GL; BMW X5, X6; Lexus RX/GX/LX; and Audi Q7's lunch. On Tues. night, I felt lucky to watch Elon's presentation standing right next to GeorgeB. He said (paraphrasing): "I know those guys in Germany and Japan are watching this right now and they are very, very unhappy." [and then he smiled]

That said, as a TSLA stockholder since 2012 :biggrin:, I hope they come to their senses and offer a folding second row seat option while they still have this long reservation queue so they can address this important use case that seems quite significant judging from TMC posts.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You're a funny guy, I have a few questions. Are you telling us that 100% of the parts used on Tesla is US made? After driving your 257 miles, how long does it take to recharge the batteries? while the Volvo drives by waving. If I'm not mistaken, the R&D and engineering of Volvo still comes out of Sweden. As you may know, Volvo has broken ground on building a plant in SC. Sorry I have nothing against Tesla, it's a beautiful car but if I had the funds and a choice, I will take the Volvo.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Um. Welcome?

Everything you've written has been discussed here, if you did a search you can read some Volvo enthusiasts thoughts on tesla and the x vs xc90.

Are you posting a similar thing on all the minivan forums?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
The Tesla is a CUV/SUV in name only. It seems like an amazing vehicle and if you have well over $100K to spend on a car, don't need the utility of an SUV (fold flat rear seats, off-road capacity, the ability to rack things on the roof, etc.) and don't require the ability to travel long distances with at most brief gas stops, then it absolutely is a great opportunity.

None of those thing are true for me, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Lol you get what you pay for! The xc90 and other competitors mentioned aren't exactly cheap. I'm a fan of tesla but that's really the attitude (from owner/enthusiasts) that turns a lot of people off to the company.

·
Registered
130 Posts
What is the purpose of this post? Are you coming to the XC90 forum to tell us we all made the wrong decision, or are are looking for validation of your own views on life?

Having had a reservation for a Model X for over 2 years, and cancelling it because of missed promises and deadlines - I have no regrets about my decision. Being a reader of both major Model X forums, there are no shortage of people who are dropping their reservations now the car is out - which might suggest its not the best choice for everyone who thought it might be.

I haven't taken delivery of my T8 yet, so I can't make anything more that paper comparisons, but I'm happy with the choice i made for my own personal reasons.

If you are trying to drum up business for Tesla to boost your share value, I might suggest a different approach.

·
Registered
496 Posts
@engle
Ha ha ha, your 1st post and comming with this type of stuff?
You normaly see that only with 12 years old boys, extolling dad's car ;-)

If you're really interested in a comparison, please take a look into all the discussions already made on the individual subjects.....

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
I'm also a member of the Tesla Motors Club (TMC) Model X forum:

[URL="http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/forumdisplay.php/84-Model-
This vehicle will be minor competition for the X, which I believe will eat Benz ML, GL; BMW X5, X6; Lexus RX/GX/LX; and Audi Q7's lunch. On Tues. night, I felt lucky to watch Elon's presentation standing right next to GeorgeB. He said (paraphrasing): "I know those guys in Germany and Japan are watching this right now and they are very, very unhappy." [and then he smiled]

That said, as a TSLA stockholder since 2012 :biggrin:, I hope they come to their senses and offer a folding second row seat option while they still have this long reservation queue so they can address this important use case that seems quite significant judging from TMC posts.

The vehicle was just launched
As I tweeted to Elon about the Model X and have said in numerous outlets (reddit, jalopnik, etc.) the Model X is a joke of an SUV/CUV. I like (and love) it for a lot of reasons but none of those reasons encompass anything remotely in the utility department because it's not better than a typical minivan at doing utility duties.

You come on here with admitted reasons for wanting TSLA to do well as a stockholder but won't wait for a car or have your friends wait for a car that's got a supply constraint on it.

Actually, all you've done is come over here to troll a forum from what I can see.

You're a funny guy and pretty pathetic if you ask me...

Are we supposed to think you're some TSLA "in guy" because you stood next to someone here that no one gives a frak about?

BAWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Sad

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The Model X is already being discussed here, http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?237003-Competition-Tesla-Model-X/page5. As another Tesla shareholder and long time employee, please don't come on here give the rest of us a bad name with an elitist attitude. You don't introduce yourself to your neighbors by taking a crap on their porch. There are other ways to compare cars without completely crapping on what a lot of people are excited about receiving.

Model X and the Volvo XC90 T8 are not competitors. They are at very different price points and have very different capabilities. There may be a handful of people who cross shop but they are the minority. Volvo is competing against the entry level luxury crowd. Tesla is competing against the High end performance crowd.

·
Registered
344 Posts
:what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what::what:

Nominate for best 1st post ever!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry the Pontiac Aztec I mean Tesla X is pretty UGLY! It has some great ideas but I don't want to drive around with a paper bag over my head!

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
The Tesla is a CUV/SUV in name only. It seems like an amazing vehicle and if you have well over $100K to spend on a car, don't need the utility of an SUV (fold flat rear seats, off-road capacity, the ability to rack things on the roof, etc.) and don't require the ability to travel long distances with at most brief gas stops, then it absolutely is a great opportunity.

None of those thing are true for me, unfortunately.
You knock the utility yet without fold flat 2nd row seats, the 3rd row fold flat, it has more storage capacity than the XC90. It has 1" less ground clearance than the XC90 (9.5" vs 10.5") so off road capability should be equal. It also has an accessories rack to carry things that would go on the roof. It has a 250 mile range, so long distance travel is not an issue, especially with the Supercharger network. If you don't like the vehicle, that's fine but don't knock it for things that aren't true.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You knock the utility yet without fold flat 2nd row seats, the 3rd row fold flat, it has more storage capacity than the XC90. It has 1" less ground clearance than the XC90 (9.5" vs 10.5") so off road capability should be equal. It also has an accessories rack to carry things that would go on the roof. It has a 250 mile range, so long distance travel is not an issue, especially with the Supercharger network. If you don't like the vehicle, that's fine but don't knock it for things that aren't true.
What if you want to transport a rolled up carpet? Some long flat-pack furniture boxes? Large scale artwork? All of that stuff can just be tossed in the back of the xc90. I need to do stuff like that all the time so I need a real suv style storage area including the option to fold all seats flat. Can't speak for everyone but I think that's the crux of the storage issue with the model x. Sure if I want to transport packing peanuts I can fit as much but anything I'm going to realistically move, the xc90 is going to be easier.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
What if you want to transport a rolled up carpet? Some long flat-pack furniture boxes? Large scale artwork? All of that stuff can just be tossed in the back of the xc90. I need to do stuff like that all the time so I need a real suv style storage area including the option to fold all seats flat. Can't speak for everyone but I think that's the crux of the storage issue with the model x. Sure if I want to transport packing peanuts I can fit as much but anything I'm going to realistically move, the xc90 is going to be easier.
These are people movers not delivery trucks. My V60 P* is only worth $62k and I never want to fill it with any of this crap. That is what home delivery and pick up trucks are for.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
These are people movers not delivery trucks. My V60 P* is only worth $62k and I never want to fill it with any of this crap. That is what home delivery and pick up trucks are for.
Not everyone feels that way, especially Volvo owners. There are quite a few reasons why many people are attracted to Volvo wagons and SUVs (and not only Volvo, for that matter); if I can fit stuff into my wagon or SUV, why would I go through the trouble and extra expense of setting up (and paying) for delivery? It is a waste of money and TIME.

·
Registered
3,665 Posts
Not everyone feels that way, especially Volvo owners. There are quite a few reasons why many people are attracted to Volvo wagons and SUVs (and not only Volvo, for that matter); if I can fit stuff into my wagon or SUV, why would I go through the trouble and extra expense of setting up (and paying) for delivery? It is a waste of money and TIME.
It's another reason why these cars aren't competitors. Tesla buyers don't think this way. When you are paying $100k+ for a vehicle, delivery fees for a piece of art or a carpet don't really concern you. These vehicles attract two different markets.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Model X and the Volvo XC90 T8 are not competitors. They are at very different price points and have very different capabilities. There may be a handful of people who cross shop but they are the minority. Volvo is competing against the entry level luxury crowd. Tesla is competing against the High end performance crowd.
Correct, even though I am not so sure that the Model X appeals only to performance-oriented demographics. I get its "insane" and "ludicrous" performance but I just doubt people would be plunking down six figures to have an "SUV" so they can accelerate to 60 miles in under 4 seconds.

I would think that the "green" character of this car would be its biggest asset.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.