SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate this - looks like crap -

The material is pulling away from the inside of the A-Pillar on the edge closest to the windshield.
I don't understand why they don't wrap a little extra fabric around the edge to avoid this :confused:

It's doing it on both sides -

This happened on my BMW too - (wife had a interior shop replace the fabric)

What is the best fix?
DIY or do I need to pay someone to recover it?

Any instructions / direction would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Well you can remove it and try to glue it back :rolleyes:

If it shrunk, buy a good used one from Erie Vovo
www.erievovo.com or call; 1-888 volvo 13

(it will wind up being cheaper in the long run)!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I have yet to attempt this, but go to a junkyard and strip the headliner out of another S60/V70. Use this fabric and wrap it all the way around, using a good adhesive or a fancy stitching to keep it attached. Or find the closest color match at a fabric store and do the same.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have yet to attempt this, but go to a junkyard and strip the headliner out of another S60/V70. Use this fabric and wrap it all the way around, using a good adhesive or a fancy stitching to keep it attached. Or find the closest color match at a fabric store and do the same.
That's a great Idea!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
That won't work
The fabric on the headliner is molded to the headliner, and will shred if you try to remove it
It's not like the old headliners.

I had the same issue in my 04 (and still don't like these in my newer P2 cars).
Anyhow, find an 01-03 wreck with the same interior and use those, those are pressed vinyl, WILL match and will never come apart.
They went to the "fuzz" in 2004

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Brilliant!! Will have to find a weekend to scrounge through the JY or hit the ebay webz...

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is great advice - I appreciate it.

Now does anyone know how to remove these safely and properly so I don't screw them up?
I searched but couldn't find much - I remember seeing something about the tabs breaking and to get extras etc...

Tutorial with pictures/diagram ?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Bone tool, pop off (carefully)
You have to pull the door rubber molding down and back so it will clear it.

Install a nice, new, clean and clear ticket clip while you have it off, they cost about a $1.50

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I just got my plastic A pillars in the mail today. Will take a pic tomorrow if I remember.

I was thinking that I would strip the old ones so that all the fabric adhesive is gone. I may then paint them silver to go with the aluminum accents throughout the car and see which I like better :D

I also got a second gauge cluster bezel and steering rack cover that I'm going to do in silver to see how I like it. This also lets me slice up the other bezel for a fitzy pod :D

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That would be cool - I would love to see how the 03 and below pillars look.
If you don't mind or get a chance - take some pictures of the process for removal and replacement.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
So I did get them done. It wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it woud be. These cars have got me putting a lot more time aside to do little things as they always seem to be harder than they should be!

Pics:

Before

After

·
Registered
139 Posts
I just popped my DS A pillar out and used Elmers Extreme glue stick to reattach the fabric. Let it dry overnight and put it back in this morning. Looks fine. I am disappointed that the adhesive gives out in the first place on a $45K car. Oh well...

When removing the A pillar, use a bone tool at the apex, wedging it straight out. The ziptie connector needs to be turned 90° and pulled out. The other two connectors are salvageable to reuse, but only cost a buck each to buy new. If I'd seen the plastic ones, I would have opted for those. It would match the B pillars then, and the fabric would not disadhere.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my plastic A pillars in the mail today. Will take a pic tomorrow if I remember.
Those look great. Where did you get them and do you know (or does anyone know) if those fit a V70? I just removed my V70R's driver's A-pillar and took the fabric off (it was really easy as the fabric separated from the glue quite easily but left a heck of a lot of glue on the plastic) and was planning on using the fabric as a template for a replacement. While I could probably do that relatively easily, I don't see an easy way to remove the glue residue from the pillar though a random sander might work. If I can't get it smooth, the replacement fabric might look ratty.

I'd rather simply swap them with plastic non-fabric replacements.

Thanks,

Kevin

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
I just R&R'ed two pairs of these on both the P2 Rs I have for sale.
They glued back quite easily and while they were out of the cars we cleaned them thoroughly! :thumbup:
Both cars look like new now.

This crap is just like the door panels fiasco with the Gen 1s. Why can't Volvo either use proper materials and proper glue or stay with the existing (vinyl) panels that don't come apart, look better (than the new fuzzy ones) and are EASILY cleanable! (#*^$&(#$^*(&^(*#$

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had glued mine back with some upholstery adhesive which initially worked well but, on some particularly hot days a while ago, the fabric ended up "bubbling" up a bit in the middle. I might not have used enough adhesive in the middle allowing this to happen. So they just don't look good even if the edges stay tacked down.

This go-around I was able to scrape off all the old glue but the white foamy backing material is on solid. I should be able to find some fabric sufficiently thick enough to mask any imperfections left, wrap it around the edges and tack it down on the back side. That should hold it down for good.

The obvious problem with Volvo's design is that they only wrapped around the edge at one end and not along the entire length of the pillar cover. Had they simply allowed an extra CENTIMETER all around and tacked it down, it never would have come undone. As for it being fuzzy and unable to be properly cleaned, you have that right. Just plastic would have been fine and no one would have cared one way or the other!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Your post re your 'A' pillars was very interesting to read along with all the follow-up threads.
I have a 2002 V40 with headlining sag issues that have occurred rather suddenly.
Whilst looking closely at my headlining against the top edge of the front screen since reading your post I notice the same raw cut edge problem that you described on the A pillars on your S60.
I note that my A pillars do seem to have the fabric rolled over to the rear face,against the screen and I presume they are glued, unlike his as his pics indicate.
The main roof headlining edge is clearly beginning to just let go along the raw edge, additional to my recent fabric sags in the body of the headlining towards the rear.
This sort of poor finishing to what are higher spec'd and quality cars, being more expensive defies belief frankly and I totally agree with your (DMac0013's) initial comment.
One does not expect to see raw cutting at edges of materials in professional auto trimming work,especially from the manufacturers (new)
The issues of potential condensation from the screen glass being absorbed straight into the fabric and foam backing seem to me to point to the main initial causes of failures along with heat, age and foam deterioration as it ages.
I have owned about 12 cars over my 40+ years of driving and this is the first ever issue I have struck regarding internal trim / headlinings on any of them.
Even the 2nd hand older ones, 15+ years of age have had headlinings still in as new condition.
All were lower cost vehicles like BMC, Hillman and the rest all Japanese makes.
Sad that my first problem of this nature is European model linked to an otherwise great car like a Volvo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went to Jo-Ann's and picked up some vinyl fabric that matched the gray interior color perfectly. I ripped off the old fabric, scraped off the dried glue residue (keeping the white fabric backing in place since it was going to require sanding to remove and I did not want to deal with that) and used it to make templates that were about .25-.5 inches extra all around. I used small binder clips to hold it in place over the pillar for a few days to let the vinyl kind of form in place to the contours and to trim it back to fit. I then glued down one edge using Loctite GO2 glue and let it dry. After that I sprayed the back of the vinyl and the pillar with some Loctite adhesive, rolled it over and formed it to the pillar shape and clamped it down along the opposite edge. Then, as that was in place I glued down the rest of the edges, cutting and forming around the back to fit and let it all dry up. The results are what look like a factory fresh part, a lot like the plastic ones fallenfenix87 acquired.

Since the vinyl is wrapped around the edges and glued to the backside of the pillar, they should never come unglued again. So far, everyone I've shown them to have said they look like factory parts so I'm pretty happy with the results. They are not perfect but I'm not a professional upholsterer and don't really know the "proper" way to fold over edges and cut to fit but, to the untrained eye, they look like original equipment parts.

I'll post some pictures later as I neglected to take some while I was making them but can show them in the car and you can decide if the job was successful.

All told the glue and adhesive were $15 and the vinyl was $20 so for $35 and my time I got two new a-pillars and am very happy with the results.

Kevin

1 - 19 of 19 Posts