SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone! Just found your forum, and have been reading and enjoying it, lots of good info!

We are looking for a V70R from 2004 to 2007 and are hoping to find one with --

Low miles
6 speed manual
Gobi interior
ASCOB

We will consider 2006-7 automatic also ASCOB but preference is for manual shift.

[hr][/hr]

We are long time Volvo enthusiasts who takes great care of their cars and enjoy them.

Our current stable is:

1980 240 - 4 spd/OD (purchased new, now 125k miles, VDO GT gauge cluster, IPD sways, cam, headers)
1985 245 turbo+ - 4 spd/OD (purchased new, now 130k miles, IPD springs & sways)
1998 V90 (last of the RWD, bought used with 58k one lady owner, now 70k miles 5 yrs later)

Non Volvo "hangers on"

1974 Land Rover Series III (leaking oil as usual)
1988 Toyota 4X4 pickup 5 spd (bought new, 85k miles now)
1991 Toyota Sunrader camper (lots of fun!)
2004 Subaru VDC (white line suspension)

[hr][/hr]

Prior owned Swedes

1973 1800 ES (purchased in 1974 -recently sold with 55k miles)
1974 144 4 spd (safety orange - inside and out)
1975 245 4 spd (with the B20 engine)
1978 245 4 spd+OD
1983 245 turbo 4spd+OD (low compression high boost)
1992 940 16 valve twin cam
1994 960

Other (non-Swede) prior owned "toys"

1966 Shelby GT-350
1965 Mustang fastback GT pony
1957 Jag XK-140-MC roadster (my first car)
1951 Jag XK-120 roadster
1960 Jag Mk II
1961 Jag MK IX Saloon
1965 Rambler Marlin (SN 17 first day production)
1958 Chrysler Imperial (love the FINS 35k miles)
1957 Dodge 4 door sedan (also great fins! 70K miles)
1969 Maserati Quattroporte (Wicked fast 4 door)
1988 Range Rover (1st year in the US)

We take our "wheeled Iron" seriously

We ARE serious Volvo geeks and are looking for a V70R (back OT)

Eye candy follows :)

[hr][/hr]

·
Administrator
55,861 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to swedespeed. Check out this thread in our Classified forum: http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-Finds-amp-Craigslist-Cars-October-2014/page2

There are a couple nice V70Rs listed, pricey but may be what you want. Be sure to read in the R Forum on the maintenance items to look for with this generation R. Maintenance costs can add up to several thousand rather quickly.
Thank you! We have just started to look and I was just reading about the cars listed. Thanks too for the tip about the R maintenance, will check that out too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The quest ends.

65,000 miles
1 owner (female)
Florida car
Flash Green / Gobi
6 speed manual.

Just got back late last night (after midnight)

Now into the garage until winter ends

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's a great find in a pretty, rare color. Enjoy her!
Thanks. This was the wife's first choice all around (inside/outside/gearbox) so she is tickled flash green :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Thanks. This was the wife's first choice all around (inside/outside/gearbox) so she is tickled flash green :)

Congratulations. It sounds and looks like it is going to a home where it will be fully appreciated. You were so quick all the usual nay sayers didn't get a chance to tell you how you would never find one.
I hope you are aware of how fortunate you are. After 8 months of intensive hunting I gave up on finding a replacement for my V70R and returned to Jaguar.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 8 months of intensive hunting I gave up on finding a replacement for my V70R and returned to Jaguar.
My first car was a Jag....... Owned 6 Jags before I turned 21 but I've not had one since

My first car was a 1957 XK-140 MC (C-type engine) roadster....

Yea I was 16 and bought a Jag with my "lawn mowing money".....

Took 2 years to restore it but did a body off restoration on it....

And YES it did almost kill me several times too.....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
This is awesome! There is no arguing that you guys are genuine enthusiasts (far more than most). I'm always so impressed when I see older, original owner cars…and you guys have <i>several</i> with the oldest being purchased the year I was born. I'm truly happy that you guys found what you were looking for, and I hope it brings you as much enjoyment as is obvious that the others have.

And what an awesome introduction into the world of wheels! My first car was a 1970 Bug that I bought when I turned 15 and got my first job. Spent the next 15 months (wasn't quite ready for my 16th birthday) doing everything shy of a body-off restoration. Just hope one of my boys will give me the opportunity of being on the other end of that amazing father-son experience.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And what an awesome introduction into the world of wheels! My first car was a 1970 Bug that I bought when I turned 15 and got my first job. Spent the next 15 months (wasn't quite ready for my 16th birthday) doing everything shy of a body-off restoration. Just hope one of my boys will give me the opportunity of being on the other end of that amazing father-son experience.
My father was less than thrilled to see the 57 Jag show up. It came home over 2 days. First day was the chassis. Second day the engine and gearbox. It had been burned to the ground in a fuel fire (everything burnable was gone, tires, hoses, molding, interior, even the wood frame of the trunk (yea the frame of the trunk was wood).

What can I say. I paid $50 for it and was really excited. Dad, on the other hand, was not as he knew he would be doing most of the work with me as his "helper". After we got deep into it (frame only) he had to admit that the MC was a fine design and even was excited when it fired up the first time after we pulled all new electric through it. The above pics was the first day it fired up and moved under its own power (no interior yet but it did run).

Dad had to make a custom dash for it and did an exceptional job as always.... He used to take me "surfing" the salvage yards here in L.A. looking for "projects" so he was not gun shy when it came to restorations but the Jag was... in his words.... A bit over the top... Luckily there was a yard in Azusa that had six XK-140's that we pulled parts from to make this one (this was mid 1960's so a 1957 auto was not that old back then).

It was an experience of a lifetime and one I will always remember. Put me on the road to salvage yard crawling and I have had a number of nice finds over the decades.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
walk down the memory lane for you guys :cool:

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Truly remarkable. What an experience to cut your teeth on. And kudos to your pops for jumping into it with you. I imagine that first day of firing it up had to create feelings that are still palpable today. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts