SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a new co-worker who has been a long-time Volvo enthusiast (several 240s, and now an '03 S40) who would like to get back in a wagon. We've found a couple P80s, but he's looking for a 2003+ V70 T5 with an automatic transmission. He's pretty flexible on color and mileage, but understandably wants something that has been well-maintained (and documented). He's in Birmingham, but open to something within a reasonable driving distance (GA, TN, MS). If anyone has something, or knows of one for sale, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I would try to avoid 01/02 and early 03 because of the transmission issues.

·
Registered
8,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the kinda input I needed. I figured the ETMs would've been sorted out by then…but, I guess I've just been lucky having two that have. I'll update the ad to read 03+. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,728 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That silver 02 was pretty sweet. Looks like it sold right away…but that would be a looooong drive from Alabama anyway. Holding out for something closer. Thanks though!

·
Registered
17,728 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the links, ScottishBrick. I passed them along the day you posted, and he's still holding out for an 03+ T5. Shame that ATL one wasn't a T5…

·
Registered
357 Posts
01 is fine if you know what was wrong with them. most are real easy fixes and once taken care of run perfectly fine. Look for a 2001 T5 with the updated software and an upgraded b4 servo cover. The original software had a stop/neutral program that just put the car in neutral when stationary. The problem was it would slam first gear when you hit the gas pedal even a little bit which strained the b4 servo cover. eventually that b4 servo would fail and crack and soon after that first gear would break from the program clutch dumping essentially.

Quite a few 01's got the b4 servo fixed but not all got software so check for that. IF a T5 has had both done within a few years since it was purchased there shouldn't be any problems other than the etm which isn't that big of a deal either.

01-04 p2 volvos had a recall in 2010 for a fuel pump which cracked due to age. make sure you check that out as well, it is a free service from volvo if you can 100% verify it needs the upgrade.

Don't be afraid of 01's mine is running smoothly with over 260k on the odometer

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is excellent information. I've passed it along to him, and it's reassuring since it seems like the most common T5 to find is an 01. Not ruling them out entirely is a big help! Is checking if/when a car got an update as simple as calling a dealer with a VIN…or would you have to bring the actual car by?

And how do you know if you need the fuel pump replaced? (I'm asking as much for my own cars as anything)…

·
Registered
357 Posts
should be a vin check by a volvo dealer and or scan by a dealer or independent volvo tech. With the nature of what needed to be corrected requiring a volvo tech it should be in the system somewhere. I would highly recommend getting the auto trans serviced and checked maybe even rebuilt depending on the miles and how much information can be found out.

The recalls can all be looked up here http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Plugging a vin number in will bring up what recalls the has had and hasn't had. I do believe it is required to log how many recalls were fixed by federal law but i'm not 100% about that. the fuel pump, etm, and cooling fans were all recalls that should still be a free service by volvo.

I owned my 01 for about a year when the nhtsa mailed me a letter telling me that my vin wasn't listed as fixed for the fuel pump and gave me a printed sheet and told me to fix it at a volvo dealer and if they gave me problems to call them. No problems from the dealer any safety recall volvo will fix quickly and very quietly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts