SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bent a rod, and I'm exploring my options. If anyone in or near the MIDWEST has anything let me know. I'm located in Central IL and am willing to do travel to pick it up, or depending on cost, freight.

I'm open to ideas, check my sig for details, this is going in the 96R. I know this post is somewhat vague, but if you have an old lump sitting around, a half finished build, or even a build gone bad, let me know... Obviously I'm not looking for N/A engines.

Thanks!

·
Registered
773 Posts
JOrdan:

I have a B5234T3 engine in pieces, probably a late 2000 or 2001. I just had a valve job done to it. It need pistons, I've had my machinist bore it .013, so that we could buy a set of pistons and then hone the bores to the correct size, whether OS1 or .020 oversize. I was going to use it for my '01 S60T5 when its engine got old, but it was totaled before I could do more work on the engine. I have the original main and rod bearings, they were all in very good condition. Head just had a valve job, and I was ready to start putting it back together with fresh valve seals, but hadn't started yet. You could likely use the original main bearings, and all but one set of rod bearings, I'd replace that one set because of slight signs of wear. (or you could replace them all)

I could easily put the engine back together a bit (block with crank in bearings, head on the block with used head bolts, must be thrown away for actual build. Rods and valves, springs and retainers in a box. Unless you wanted me to install the valve seals and put in the valves and springs.

I'm in Seattle area, so engine would have to be shipped. I've already sold an engine to someone in New Jersey, and it is running fine. There, I didn't take the bottom end apart, it was in good shape, I just lapped the valves and put all new seals on the engine for him.

Since my car was wrecked, I stopped work on this engine, and have been wondering what I was going to do with it. I now have an '05 T5, which uses the dual VVT head, and a longer stroke, so this engine isn't a direct replacement like it was for the other car, although it will still bolt right up to the trans and all the intake/exhaust, etc will bolt right up to it.

this is a single VVT engine, on the exhaust cam. Supposedly, these heads flow better than the earlier hydraulic valve heads. You'd have to either cut a slot in the top cover for the gas lines, or custom make some lines, which wouldn't be a big deal, and then get a block off plate for the VVT. Otherwise, the engine should bolt in, and you can bolt all of your ancilliaries to it.

If interested, let me know, this would be far cheaper than me building the engine and you getting it. Guess I'd call it a half stated build, one where I was going to have to replac ethe pistons, but was going to keep it mostly stock otherwise.

Al

1 - 3 of 3 Posts