SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always seem to be busy when I need to change the oil in my wife's car (2008 C30 T5) so she takes it to the dealer. Recently after her last change I had to add 3/4 of a quart and thought the dealer short changed her so I decided I would start doing it myself but ran into a little problem. The car calls for 6.1 U.S. Quarts so in goes 6.1 quarts of Amsoil 5W-30. The dip stick shows it needs another .9 quarts? I called the dealer to double check the capacity and also check that the dipstick was correct P/N 30777500 and it is. We've owned the car since new so nobody changed the dip stick tube. Any ideas?
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
177 Posts
I’m going to ask the obvious: how level is the car when you measure?

Also I always do 6 QT and never had a reading at MAX if that’s what you’re expecting. Or is it below the MIN level?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m going to ask the obvious: how level is the car when you measure?

Also I always do 6 QT and never had a reading at MAX if that’s what you’re expecting. Or is it below the MIN level?

Thanks for the reply.
Car is level and the stick reading is just above the lowest part of the range. it indicates that I need 9 tenths of a quart to get to the full line.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've seen this come up before.

The owners manual lists 5.5L as the required capacity, which seems to fill to about the middle of the dipstick. I always fill 6L which gets to the top of the dip stick.

That's about 6.3 quarts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This is a US car bought in San Diego when I lived there. I'm in Canada now but Amsoil is sold here in US quarts not Litres. My owners manual clearly states 6.1 US quarts. It's possible my dip stick is stamped incorrectly but the only way I can find out is to order a new one. I don't know anybody with a C30 or anyone with the same engine. I'm wondering if you check it in the morning cold will the oil in the filter drain down?? I'll try it and post back.
Jim

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is a US car bought in San Diego when I lived there. I'm in Canada now but Amsoil is sold here in US quarts not Litres. My owners manual clearly states 6.1 US quarts. It's possible my dip stick is stamped incorrectly but the only way I can find out is to order a new one. I don't know anybody with a C30 or anyone with the same engine. I'm wondering if you check it in the morning cold will the oil in the filter drain down?? I'll try it and post back.
Jim
Pm sent

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
My V50 takes 5.5 to 6 to fill. Maybe the oil co is short changing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
depending on if the oil filter was changed or not can drastically change how much oil is needed
the older volvo has a canister filter and not everyone changes it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts