SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a total idiot! I cleaned the fuse box connections with some sand paper and now my radio works all the time. I am new at this car fixing thing. I always have had a husband to fix my car. Now I am single and I have to figure it out and fix it myself. But I think I am doing pretty good for a beginner, yes? <br>Now my battery was dead when I went out to start it the other morning. I started checking for a battery drain. There was none. No charge was being pulled from the battery when the ignition was turned off. Turns out that the alternator wasn't charging the battery at all. I promptly went to "Kragen" to have them check my alternator. What a joke! He hooked up his multimeter to my battery and told me that I was getting 0-ZERO amount of charge from my alternator and probably needed a new one. So, yes, I bought one and allowed a friend install it for me - big mistake! $125 later, I have come to the conclusion that it wasn't the alternator but it was the ground wire. After he installs the alternator, he tells me that the ground wire was all ate up and falling apart. Geeezzz!!! OH, THERE'S MORE... The alternator he installed didn't have a ground wire connection, so he figured it wasn't necessary-extra parts. Now he is going to take the long screw that is the grounding bolt, off of the old alternator and put it on the new one. IS THAT GOING TO WORK? OR DID WE GET THE WRONG ALTERNATOR? OH, and my neighbor is insisting that if we just rest the alternator up against the body of the car we won't have to ground it. IS THAT TRUE? Remember, I am new at this, but it all sounds a little "micky mouse" to me.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Re: Wrong Alternator? (judylyn)

Very mickey mouse!<br>You definatly need a ground lead, but I wouldn't start taking the alternator apart. A wire from any place on the alternator to the engine will do.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts