SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Someone turned in front of my wife and blamo! It's a 98 T5 that we bought in May of 2007. Not sure how much it would cost to fix?....or is it totaled.
Thanks, Rob

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
OUCH! If you got the room, part it out, you would most likely spend more that you originally paid for the car to fix it. That would be a huge DIY project, and expensive none the less.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looking at this, I think you're kinda lucky. It seems to be a high hit, so I would think the frame is spared. So long as the engine was not damaged. It looks like a hood, fender, radiator support, radiator, condenser.... you may be able to save it. What a bummer. Good luck.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
It's quite totaled

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'd pull the fender, hood and bumper skin and see what you've got.
It still look like it may be square underneath. Maybe just sheet metal.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Definitely totaled by insurance standards, but not terribly hard to fix if the upper fender rail inside isn't crinkled. As in, if you can bolt a new fender on it without needing to realign the bolt holes. Everything else is bolt on, and you definitely didn't mash the lower frame rails because the bumper clearly went under the other vehicle.

Look at this thread here which had similar damage and how easily he fixed it with a parts car. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?232883-front-end-collision

Your car should be even easier as the headlight support is plastic and bolts on, rather than the metal ones on the P2 cars.

Did it blow either airbag?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No airbag, the radiator cracked and slowly leaked. The cop let me drive it away to a nearby parking lot, and then I drove it up the back of the rollback. It started and drove fine with no scraping or noises.
I understand it will be totaled, but I'll be retiring soon and might make a project out of it. I'm going to stop by and see if the air conditioner still works.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Definitely fixable, rather cheaply if you can find parts of the same color. I fixed a similar accident on my audi. Front ends are easier to do at home since you can replace body panels without welding and painting.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
If you want a red 99 P80 hood I have one... Heck, I have everything P80 related except the bumper (because it is from an XC). And yeah, assuming the frame rail is ok it's a weekend job to reassemble.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It couldn't be too bad. This is what mine looked like when I bought it.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Sorry for your accident.....couldn't help but notice those alloy wheels are not a "standard" S70 design that came from the factory. Not sure I've ever seen those before. I like them.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Those are an S60 wheel called Mimas.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I let my wife drive the 2001 V70 T5-M, and today someone ran a red light and totaled it. I am Volvo-less right now. Two totals in less than a month.
This T5 was nice because it had cloth seats and a 5 speed. Now I'm down to my 93 MB 190e with 271,000 miles!!

·
Registered
17,714 Posts

I let my wife drive the 2001 V70 T5-M, and today someone ran a red light and totaled it. I am Volvo-less right now. Two totals in less than a month.
This T5 was nice because it had cloth seats and a 5 speed. Now I'm down to my 93 MB 190e with 271,000 miles!!
Lucky she was driving a volvo! Sorry to hear about the loss of your T5's. You should demand that the other drivers insurance fix it, since its not your fault. They will naturally fight that to the ends of the earth, so you simply demand that they replace it. T5m wagons are rare and command a premium above kbb. Im sure someone from the forum would be willing to part with a well maintained example for the right amount.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Lucky she was driving a volvo! Sorry to hear about the loss of your T5's. You should demand that the other drivers insurance fix it, or replace it with a comparable vehicle. T5m wagons are rare.
They're not gonna replace it lol... You can argue for slightly over book value, but I've never had an ins company deliver me a car. That would be cool though.

·
Registered
17,714 Posts
They're not gonna replace it lol... You can argue for slightly over book value, but I've never had an ins company deliver me a car. That would be cool though.
If they give you ****, call the AG. Then youll get it delt with correctly. My dad had a mint saab 99 wagon that got totaled for $500 and he fought them (geico) on it since it was ultra rare and they gave him replacement value when he found a similar one, in oregon. Didnt pay to ship it though so that show we got into volvos.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I had a 92 Subaru svx with 65k, manual converted.. Got hit on the rear back wheel and the ins company tried to total it because the book was nothing on it, and I fought with them for a month and made them fix it. I'm not saying they won't adjust their offer, and if you can find comparable vehicles in your area that helps greatly.. But they won't literally replace it is all. It would have been nice if they bought and delivered me the pearl white one I used as an example of value across the country, but they didn't go that far :(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts