SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wrecked my new Platinum Wagon big time, total bonehead move, it was starting to hail and I was trying to get home and I just wasn't paying attention and didn't see someone, she t-boned me, it was clearly my fault. To make matters worse I had declined the full coverage insurance.

Everyone says the car is totaled and to part it out but I'm still wondering if I can fix it economically. Both passenger doors and the the passenger fender are heavily damaged, I can't open the passenger door... looks like the door pillar and floor board is pushed in about 4 inches and there is a crease in the roof.

I'm wondering if I can get used doors and fender and pull out the door pillar, repair the roof dent and paint this thing.

It's a total shame because the car was very clean, it still drives perfectly too.

:(

·
Registered
151 Posts
Second that.... Mine was totalled, too, but luckily only replaceable parts were damaged and I could get replacements from the salvage yard. Sounds like it will make much more sense to replace the car, since they can be had cheap. Sorry for your loss, I know it sucks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the feedback, I'm still thinking about trying to repair it but I haven't gotten any quotes from anybody. I pulled the doors off and the front fender. The center pillar is pretty mangled up, it would have to be replaced too. The only way to make this work out is to do a lot of the work myself and I can't do bodywork and paintwork.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I can do a cut on an 850 R and send you all you need to replace...doors and center also the door pillar and floor section....will send enough for you to have extra material to weld to. you just get a plasma cutter, die grinder....hell a sawzall if you buy enough blades....then get a pro to weld the boies back in...can even cut into the roof if you want....alot of work but it is doable and with some time and care you can get it ready for a welder guy to tack it and then run a bead acroos all the seams...just an idea...the car I have was hit in the front...but the doors are great and loaded with all the guts, and the fenders are shot but those should be easy to get locally...bob

·
Registered
153 Posts
1. You and others are are okay!
2. Taking on a BIG body repair will incur proportional cost from you.
Initially it will be time and labor vs dollars.
Less obviously it will be closure. Accepting the incident is first, accepting its results sometimes takes a bit longer .
If you should take on the repair/restoration, realize it will be for you and the car and its outcome will be as it is.
Understand that your passion for the project may be much stronger than anyone else involved with you. Know that the final outcome may not be physically perfect (in everybody else s eyes) but know where your acceptance level is. Set your goals (and budget), both financially and with time.
It may be a two or three -step project.
In taking on this project, it will YOUR car. The final results are about you.

From many enthusiasts perspective, this is a huge project and it will require a great deal of resources (time, labor/yours, knowledge, experience, labor/extra bodies, working space, cash, or more cash for body shop).
Bottom line: What ever the path you choose, have closure with your choice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.