SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo of oakville charges $199.99 for oil change and $125 for cabin filter??? that is robbery.

I wish there are dealers who charges a fair value for their work.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I hope you didn’t pay that!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
316 Posts
I hate the vehicle owning experience more and more everyday.

Vehicles are more expensive to acquire. “New technology” breaks more often and is more expensive to fix. More parts of the vehicle are integrated together so you have to buy OEM or have special tools/software to fix something / no aftermarket option availability —> higher costs. Basic maintenance prices are through the roof.

:: End of rant ::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
stealerships gotta steal. Does volvocare give out 10% service coupon? Or no?

·
Registered
16,832 Posts
Sadly, as TheNip73 notes, car ownership will at some point become a "have and have not" breakdown due to the costs of ownership.
I went to get an oil change in 2016 and learned it was nearly 100 bucks. I shopped on Amazon for the tool, FCP Euro for the filters and washers, and go to walmart for the synthetic jugs. I think (without my labor) I am somewhere near 37 bucks for the changes. That 100 bucks now covers three P2s...
Volvo of oakville charges $199.99 for oil change and $125 for cabin filter??? that is robbery.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I hate the vehicle owning experience more and more everyday.

Vehicles are more expensive to acquire. “New technology” breaks more often and is more expensive to fix. More parts of the vehicle are integrated together so you have to buy OEM or have special tools/software to fix something / no aftermarket option availability —> higher costs. Basic maintenance prices are through the roof.

:: End of rant ::

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree but dont think this model is sustainable in even the medium run. This is why vehicle ownership will be radically different by 2025 than it is now. This is why I bought my first extended warranty ever...... Soon though we will be driving electric cars, ride sharing, even more leasing with all maintenance included etc. The good news is that electric vehicles have far fewer moving parts and no fluids other than brake fluid.

I believe we will all live to see the day of self driving cars allowing us to “Uber” everywhere. Parking will no longer be an issue. Near field charging will be ubiquitous.

Finally, prices will have to adjust to the new lower earning power that many people will have as more and more jobs are replaced by robotics......(I am not predicting this by 2025 BTW....just in our lifetimes)

·
Registered
216 Posts

Is that an actual oil change price or is it for the "Volvo of Blah Blah Blah Recommended Maintenance Service?"

I've found a lot of dealers, even of fairly entry level brands, tend to offer service packages with all sorts of items that aren't in the book. But if you ask for a simple oil change it's a bit more reasonable.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My dealer charges 90 bucks for an oil change. But if you go for annual maintenance it's about 200 bucks and I think it's probably due to software upgrade, which is reasonable for additional 110 bucks. If you do it yourself you need to buy the cable, buy 3 day subscription (at this point you are already over 110 bucks), and risk bricking your car.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I recently had to do the 40k service, which was the first of the services I had to pay for (Volvo included 10k, 20k, and 30k.... not sure if they still do or what). The 10k interval services are defined by Volvo as to what parts/services they include, so you should be getting exactly the same thing regardless of which dealer you go to . So I did a comparison (right off their web service portal) of local service departments: One was $525 (15 minutes from me), one was $325 (30 minutes from me), one was $730 (1 hour from me). I asked the closest dealership (which I usually go to) to match the $325 of the other dealership - they said they called the $325 dealership and they told them $390 over the phone, so they'd agree to match that. I ended up just scheduling with the $325 dealership and they charged me exactly $325. Just goes to show that this whole thing is a game with pricing so non-transparent that none of them really know what they're charging for or why.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
My dealer charges 90 bucks for an oil change. But if you go for annual maintenance it's about 200 bucks and I think it's probably due to software upgrade, which is reasonable for additional 110 bucks. If you do it yourself you need to buy the cable, buy 3 day subscription (at this point you are already over 110 bucks), and risk bricking your car.
They shouldn’t be charging for software updates.

“What is Service by Volvo?
Our mission is to make your life less complicated and guarantee an outstanding combination of quality, reassurance and expertise.

Free Software Updates:
At Volvo, we're constantly improving the software for our cars. This means that your Volvo can potentially improve at every service visit. If your Volvo needs the latest software update, we'll make sure it happens at no cost.”

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
The free software updates are supposed to be for factory scheduled maintenance services, not oil changes.

As for the discrepency on the 40k prices, I looked at a few other dealers (both near mine and randomly around the country) and there is quite a variance. Almost all are priced higher than if you just had them perform just the replacements and skipped the various "inspections".

·
Registered
543 Posts
The free software updates are supposed to be for factory scheduled maintenance services, not oil changes.

As for the discrepency on the 40k prices, I looked at a few other dealers (both near mine and randomly around the country) and there is quite a variance. Almost all are priced higher than if you just had them perform just the replacements and skipped the various "inspections".

That would be great to go a la cart, but when I tried that the dealer would not agree to perform the software updates. Had to get the 40k service. Ugh.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I asked the closest dealership (which I usually go to) to match the $325 of the other dealership - they said they called the $325 dealership and they told them $390 over the phone, so they'd agree to match that. I ended up just scheduling with the $325 dealership and they charged me exactly $325. Just goes to show that this whole thing is a game with pricing so non-transparent that none of them really know what they're charging for or why.
Doesn't that make you sick to your stomach? "That" meaning the stupidity of the your closest stealership's business practice/service department. They could've made $325, but they made none.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That would be great to go a la cart, but when I tried that the dealer would not agree to perform the software updates. Had to get the 40k service. Ugh.
That doesn’t seem to support the “service by Volvo” promise?

Maybe this is the value of getting service at the dealer where you buy.....ask the sales manager to go to bat for you, if he wants to sell you your next car

·
Registered
857 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Volvo XC90 T6 R-Design with air suspension and B&W Sound system
641 Posts
In the future we will not be burdened by this... EV = No Oil or Air Filter changes. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not too bad?

If 7-8 liters of oil at $12/liter plus oil filter at $30 plus better part of an hour for labor at $125-150/hr then $199 is about right. Way less expensive than DFC Porsche or BMW Toronto.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Anyone know how to clean the inside of the windshield in front of the camera? Also, I’ve never heard of it being a necessity to change the brake fluid every 40k miles, is that unusual or am I out of date?

Im assuming that changing the engine air filter is fairly straightforward.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts