SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you trade a 2004 C-70 for a 2004 325 CI, each with 50K miles & in very good condition?

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Yes. The BMW is a much better balanced car. I've owned several E46 convertibles and loved them.

·
Registered
785 Posts
No...look at the IIHS crash test of the current BMW Convertible, the 2004 probably is worst. The C70 can easily be tuned for significantly more power and cornering grip excellent in part due to the Delta-Link Suspension however ride is comfort is probably not as good as the BMW. Considering BMWs lack of commitment to safety I don't trust their rollover protection system, I do trust Volvos. I have a former co-worker with an E46 convertible he purchased used and he is always complaining about the maintenance costs NOT the joy of driving it.
Besides the Volvo looks better.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
Here in DC, the cowl shake of C70's is absolutely pitiful. It's NOT enjoyable driving one.

My 2005 325cic was the best of the bunch and it was bulletproof, solid, and dynamically balanced. Probably one of the very few cars I regret ever selling.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The E46 convertible is actually very safe. From 2004 - 2006 (yes, it does include one year of the next generation), E46 convertibles had a 34% lower occurrence of personal injury claims than the average vehicle. The IIHS considers this "Substantially Better" than the average car, the same category most Volvo's fit into. It's actually an even better number than what the previous-generation S60 has (the S60 is closer to 20% better than average for FWD models).

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Would you trade a 2004 C-70 for a 2004 325 CI, each with 50K miles & in very good condition?
As the owner of both a 2004 Volvo and a 2004 E46, I say a definate yes. The 325 is a reliable car, with fewer regular wear items than the Volvo (no spring seats, no wheel bearing problems, no key lock cylinder that wears out, and on and on). I've spent 4x maintaining the Vovlo as I have the bmw (both have almost the same mileage).

Besides that, the handling and weight balance of the BMW make it a much more satisfying car to drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts