SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm pondering the idea to buy a 18-20 ft fishing boat but I'm not sure if R is th proper car for boating games. I would even say "I hightly doubt it's a OK to pull a trailer with boat on R" but if someone knows this as a fact (or opposite) - I would like to hear about it.

Thanks

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can pull with them, towing capacity is 3300 lbs. you are not supposed to go into the O/D gears, definitely not 6th and I would try and stay out of 5th except for downhills and any other parts of the road that would put minimal stress on the drivetrain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts
Towing shouldn’t be a problem. Towing capacity in the US is artificially low.

But I would be worried about the boat ramps - I assume you’ve thought of that and it’s not an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would. The wagons are HEAVY and that means sure-footed.. Most have factory AWD, and some may even have a Reese "Hidden Hitch" as one I once had did.

I vote yes just as long as the load is not too heavy.

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Tongue weight has always been the issue when I've looked into this in the past. Volvo's are rated pretty low for tongue weight according to the owners manual as was alluded to.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, I feel better now... There is hope. So towing capacity calculated based on boat weight AND trailer weight?

Towing shouldn’t be a problem. Towing capacity in the US is artificially low.

But I would be worried about the boat ramps - I assume you’ve thought of that and it’s not an issue.
- what should I worry about in regards to ramps?

- Tongue weight. How it could be determined? Is this something listed in boat (or rather trailer) specs?

·
Registered
13,459 Posts
Yes, it's both boat and trailer weight together and there are limits for trailers with brakes and those without brakes.

I would think tongue weight would be listed on the trailer and would probably be based on some assumption regarding the weight of the boat. I've always looked at campers where the tongue weight is easily determined.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
It's the IRS that makes towing suck. The car toes in with load... a lot.

·
Registered
852 Posts
It's the IRS that makes towing suck. The car toes in with load... a lot.

...this is very true. Lots of camber too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts