SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This basically a beautiful high end luxury car. Would you dare to go with it at moderate off-road tracks or have you already even tried ? Or better not ?:)

·
Registered
120 Posts
I wonder if anyone ever posted that on a Range rover forum.

For fun, no not really. But if I had a cottage int he woods, absolutely. Depends what "off road" means, really.

My sister lives in the middle of nowhere, and has her own bridge. When it snows, or worse -- when the snow is melting -- many would consider her driveway "off road".

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't mean for fun ... I mean something like unpaved roads, forest roads etc.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Unpaved roads -- absolutely, without hesitation. Boulders -- no.

Based on how it was in the snow recently, I'd have no qualms about driving it on dirt or fire roads, including in the spring thaw.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Why not? I'd put the smallest rims that will clear the brakes on, get some good knobby tires with an e range load rating and you're probably good. Some custom skid pans might not hurt either.
Of course if I had the money for a new XC90, I could probably buy a decent used and lifted 4x4 domestic truck for that very purpose, or a trailer and a quad or dirt bike or three to tow to the trailhead with the xc90...

·
Registered
173 Posts
This basically a beautiful high end luxury car. Would you dare to go with it at moderate off-road tracks or have you already even tried ? Or better not ?:)
If you mean gravel roads yes then by all means I would. If you mean a serious off road track or mudding then I would not venture onto those without a dedicated low range awd system. If you want a vehicle that can handle serious off roading then look at a Grand Cherokee, Land Rover, Land Cruiser/LX570 etc.

·
Banned
763 Posts
If you mean gravel roads yes then by all means I would. If you mean a serious off road track or mudding then I would not venture onto those without a dedicated low range awd system. If you want a vehicle that can handle serious off roading then look at a Grand Cherokee, Land Rover, Land Cruiser/LX570 etc.
Mmm, or a 4Runner.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
There is another thread with links to video of an XC90 being used offroad

The OP didn't really ask about hard core offroad use.

I've taken the Gen 1 XC90 offroad (on more than just a dirt track) and it was great. But it was not "hard core" offroad use. But the Gen 1 XC90 likely ahs more ability than most of the XC90 drivers, so....

Generally, the driver makes the difference. I'm not competent enough to test the Gen 1 XC90's abilities offroad. Once I have to start evaluating exit angles and such, I am over my head.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Really up to you.... My father, a farmer, would take almost anything through cornfields, including a Lexus sedan. :) I wouldn't. I expect that the XC-90 would do just fine. IMO, the XC90 is equivalent to a 4Runner (but much, much better). I never took my 4Runner on a moderate off-road track. I wouldn't take the new XC90 on one either even though I expect that it would perform very well.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've taken my GL350 that costs more than a loaded T8 on forest trail gravel roads and through river fords. there were no overhanging branches to scratch anything, but it was a lot of fun and the vehicle did very well. I would do the same with an XC90 with no qualms.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts

That clip is about 10 minutes long. If you don't have time / patience ... skip forward to the 5 minute mark. Good stuff starts around 6:50 and again at 7:50. Yea - the XC90 can do some off-road stuff.

I'd have no problems taking the vehicle on roads that you typically wouldn't drive a normal car on - but I'd certainly avoid any situation that would result in scratches (narrow woods roads with foliage) - and I wouldn't be out doing activities where I'd be dirty enough that I'd be concerned about what happens with the interior of the vehicle. (Luckily have another vehicle suitable for that purpose.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts