SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 T6 for $38k CPO that had front brake rotors replaced around 10k and also seems to have had tire issues from Carfax report or clean report 2018 T6 for $43 non CPO? I haven’t haggled yet on either so figure I could get another few thousand off.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'd buy the 2017 T6 CPO . . but seeing as how I don't know what the mileage is on the 2017 OR the 2018 I'd buy neither.

How are you interpreting a Carfax report entry as a car having 'tire issues'?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Agree with Noonzio, I'd lean towards the 2017 to get the CPO warranty, but really need more info to comment intelligently. Miles? Momentum, Inscription, or R-design? What options and packages? We really can't tell if it's apples to apples without having more info. How long do you plan to keep it? Help us out here, and you'll get more useful feedback.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. It says on the Carfax tire repair twice and rotors replaced. It also says wheels checked several times along with electronics outside of the scheduled maintenance. I guess bc they were done at Volvo, they are quite good about reporting every little thing. It’s a momentum with polestar, convenience package and momentum plus package. I guess my concern is the repairs. I know it’s under CPO but I’m just not sure what they cover bc when I read the brochure it seemed to have lots of exclusions. It has 34.5k miles. The 2018 has 16k.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Is the tire replaced due to vibration? Some Perilli tires have foam strips glued inside but peeled off, and vibrates like crazy.
If those tires are repaced I wouldn't worry.

I'd definitely get CPO one. And you can extend CPO warranty by several more years, up to 10 year / unlimited miles. The extended CPO cost is around $3k, has to be purchased with 30 days of car purchase.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Thank you. It says on the Carfax tire repair twice and rotors replaced. It also says wheels checked several times along with electronics outside of the scheduled maintenance. I guess bc they were done at Volvo, they are quite good about reporting every little thing. It’s a momentum with polestar, convenience package and momentum plus package. I guess my concern is the repairs. I know it’s under CPO but I’m just not sure what they cover bc when I read the brochure it seemed to have lots of exclusions. It has 34.5k miles. The 2018 has 16k.
I'd probably still get the 2017 CPO. On the tire, maybe they got a puncture, or two punctures?? Honestly, I would not worry about the tire repairs or the electronics checks on the Carfax. On the brakes, some XC90's do seem to have had problems with rotors / pads . . which typically end up getting replaced under warranty.

At some point, someone will chime in about how the 'new' CPO warranty is not as good as the 'old' CPO warranty. Don't listen to them - you can't get the old CPO warranty (7 years / 100,000 miles) anymore, so its a completely irrelevant argument.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Tire replacements are common and nothing to worry about, could happen to anyone. And the rotors/brakes were changed because there was a batch of noisy ones that were replaced under warranty.

Negotiate the 2017 a bit lower and enjoy it!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You might want to check the original in-service dates of the two vehicles. For the 2017/CPO, you'll have 5 years from original in-service date and unlimited miles. For the 2018/non-CPO, you'll have the balance of factory warranty, 4 years from in-service date, but with a mileage limit -- so it might work out about the same in calendar time, unless you hit the mileage limit on the factory warranty first. But you haven't mentioned how many miles you plan to drive, and that could make a difference. If you drive a lot of miles, the unlimited mileage on the CPO could give you better coverage.
And you can buy an extension on the CPO, up to 10 years I think (from original date of service) so that might be really useful for your ownership situation. I'm not sure if you can buy a Volvo-backed extension on the factory warranty on the '18, since it's not a CPO car.
Since you plan to keep the car for 5 years (2024), the resale/trade-in value probably won't be much different for a 2017 versus a 2018 at that point. So it seems to me that you might as well save the $5k difference in purchase price up front, get the better warranty extension, and still end up with about the same trade-in value when you're done with the car.
Anyhow, find out the original sale dates, figure out your expected miles, and do the math. These cars are so complex, that it worries me a bit to think about what happens when the warranty runs out. I just bought a new 2019, did the math, and then purchased an extension through Steingold so I should be covered for the entire time I own the vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You might want to check the original in-service dates of the two vehicles. For the 2017/CPO, you'll have 5 years from original in-service date and unlimited miles. For the 2018/non-CPO, you'll have the balance of factory warranty, 4 years from in-service date, but with a mileage limit -- so it might work out about the same in calendar time, unless you hit the mileage limit on the factory warranty first. But you haven't mentioned how many miles you plan to drive, and that could make a difference. If you drive a lot of miles, the unlimited mileage on the CPO could give you better coverage.
And you can buy an extension on the CPO, up to 10 years I think (from original date of service) so that might be really useful for your ownership situation. I'm not sure if you can buy a Volvo-backed extension on the factory warranty on the '18, since it's not a CPO car.
Since you plan to keep the car for 5 years (2024), the resale/trade-in value probably won't be much different for a 2017 versus a 2018 at that point. So it seems to me that you might as well save the $5k difference in purchase price up front, get the better warranty extension, and still end up with about the same trade-in value when you're done with the car.
Anyhow, find out the original sale dates, figure out your expected miles, and do the math. These cars are so complex, that it worries me a bit to think about what happens when the warranty runs out. I just bought a new 2019, did the math, and then purchased an extension through Steingold so I should be covered for the entire time I own the vehicle.
Thank you. The 2017 sold, but there is a 2018 CPO and non CPO in my price range. I had no idea I may not be able to extend the factory warranty on a non-CPO so that is definitely something I need to look into prior to making a decision. The CPO is a bit of a drive, but may make it worth it with the additional warranty options.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
It is possible to extend factory warranty, up to 8yr/120k mile or 10yr/100k mile. Need to call Steingold Volvo for price.

CPO extended warranty is unlimited miles.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is possible to extend factory warranty, up to 8yr/120k mile or 10yr/100k mile. Need to call Steingold Volvo for price.

CPO extended warranty is unlimited miles.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
Thanks. I drive well below the average bc everything we do is close to home and I have twin toddlers who aren’t fans of the car. I think I tend to avg 3k miles a year so unlimited miles isn’t important to me.

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
Thanks. I drive well below the average bc everything we do is close to home and I have twin toddlers who aren’t fans of the car. I think I tend to avg 3k miles a year so unlimited miles isn’t important to me.
When they grow up you will need to drive around more for activities, and some road trips. Maybe 5k to 7k miles a year, still not much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update- the CPO won’t budge on price and it turns out it was a rental car. For that I want a discount and they said no as I was offered a brand new 2019 t5 for $1k more than what they are asking. So I’m left with either a 2016 t6 2/2016 in service date with 30k miles from a Volvo dealer at $38k sticker or a 2018 t6 in service 10/2017 with 16k miles from our local Honda dealer. The only ‘problem’ with the 2018 is the interior trim is the silver metallic and I love the look of the wood. First world problems, right?! Also, I’m not sure if it’s better to buy with Volvo directly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any idea why a 2018 t6 momentum would have been serviced early? It went into service 10/2017 and at around 5k miles in April had 10k service. Then in August at 10k miles they did the 20k inspection. Is this fishy? It’s now for sale at a Mercedes dealership as a trade-in so just want to be sure I’m not missing something.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I'd probably still get the 2017 CPO. On the tire, maybe they got a puncture, or two punctures?? Honestly, I would not worry about the tire repairs or the electronics checks on the Carfax. On the brakes, some XC90's do seem to have had problems with rotors / pads . . which typically end up getting replaced under warranty.

At some point, someone will chime in about how the 'new' CPO warranty is not as good as the 'old' CPO warranty. Don't listen to them - you can't get the old CPO warranty (7 years / 100,000 miles) anymore, so its a completely irrelevant argument.
You are wrong about the electronics checked. My dealer seems to be very vague about putting Body Electric System Check on CarFax. When in reality, my damn backup camera refused to work reliably for the first 20,000 miles. Nothing beyond "Body Electric System Checked" appears meaning no one but me has a clue as to what took place. I.E. Backup Camera randomly refuse to engage and kept disappearing as if it wasn't there.

In reality, it took 4 visits and extensive troubleshooting to resolve the problem.

Visit #1 = Software Update didn't solve
Visit #2 = Replaced Wiring Harness and Seal
Visit #3 = Replaced Backup Camera
Visit #4 = Did another software update and corrected.

So advising OP to ignore things isn't wise advice. It never hurts to call the dealer who did the servicing and inquire what exactly needed done. If the explanation is lacking.

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
Any idea why a 2018 t6 momentum would have been serviced early? It went into service 10/2017 and at around 5k miles in April had 10k service. Then in August at 10k miles they did the 20k inspection. Is this fishy? It’s now for sale at a Mercedes dealership as a trade-in so just want to be sure I’m not missing something.
I suggest hopping on Cargurus + Autotrader + Volvo CPO website. Run the numbers on 2018 vs 2019 with your desired features and see how far apart you hit. If the 2 are hitting close together, just buy new or look a Demo / Loaner. Lots of Demo / Loaner CPOs floating around with very low miles. Pretty sure you can find a 2019 in this category.

Other tip, make a list and then pit dealers against one another to "earn your business"

I.E. if you see 2 or 3 2018's priced out similarly, email all the dealers and see who shoots back with the best offer. Use this offer to get the other dealers to bid against one another. Dealers not willing to budget magically make things happen when they can see competition exists.

·
Registered
413 Posts
You are wrong about the electronics checked. My dealer seems to be very vague about putting Body Electric System Check on CarFax. When in reality, my damn backup camera refused to work reliably for the first 20,000 miles. Nothing beyond "Body Electric System Checked" meaning no one but mean has a clue as to what took place. I.E. Backup Camera randomly refuse to engage and kept disappearing as if it wasn't there.

In reality, it took 4 visits and extensive troubleshooting to resolve the problem.

Visit #1 = Software Update didn't solve
Visit #2 = Replaced Wiring Harness and Seal
Visit #3 = Replaced Backup Camera
Visit #4 = Did another software update and corrected.

So advising OP to ignore things isn't wise advice. It never hurts to call the dealer who did the servicing and inquire what exactly needed done. If the explanation is lacking.
I didn't advise the OP to ignore anything

·
Registered
8,276 Posts
I didn't advise the OP to ignore anything
Fake News? Define Not Worry About....

I'd probably still get the 2017 CPO. On the tire, maybe they got a puncture, or two punctures?? Honestly, I would not worry about the tire repairs or the electronics checks on the Carfax. ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts