SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some suggestions from the XC60 owners out there!
Yesterday, I test drove a XC60 and it is a pleasant vehicle to drive around. However, the brake rotors were rusted (assuming its been on the lot for a while), and the dashboard shows that the car key batteries need to be replaced soon.

This car is a 2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 FWD with about 95,000 miles.

Here is the CARFAX below:
Owner One: (11K/year)
~Registered as a lease personal vehicle on 03/21/2010.
~Vehicle serviced (unspecified) at dealer at 5K
~7.5K serviced performed at dealer at 7K
~Offered for sale as a Volvo CPO at 15K

Owner Two: (22K/year)
~No service records
~Vehicle sold at an auction
~Safety and Emission Passed
~Maintenance inspection completed (Below, by dealer)
~Door lock(s) replaced/repaired
~Battery charged
~Battery/charging system checked
~Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed
~Electrical system checked
~Emissions inspection performed

Owner Three: (12k/9 months) --Only owned the car for 9 months
~Computer(s) checked---Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed (84k at dealer)
~5,000 mile service performed (Below, 86k at dealer)
Computer(s) checked
Oil and filter changed
Rear brake pads replaced
~90K service (95K at dealer)

Owner Four: (My GREATEST Concern) ~Had the car for less than a month
~Title issued and loan/lien reported

The last owner purchased at Toyota-Marin, and this is the same dealer the car is at currently. The CARFAX lists the car as if it is still owned by the 4th owner.

Anything I can do to come to a better determination on whether I should purchase or walk away? Any help would be GRATEFULLY APPRECIATED!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Sold at auction doesn't automatically mean anything negative. It could've been traded in at a non-Volvo dealer that didn't want it on their lot. I've heard of some dealers that automatically send trade in Volvos to auction. I simply wouldn't buy it because I don't like the 3.2.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I stopped taking it seriously at "auction." Run, don't walk away.
You cannot be serious, can you? Most pre-owned cars end up being purchased via some sort of auction...Your "advice" is quite unsubstantiated.

·
Registered
917 Posts
brake rotor rust - no big deal, you get rust on those overnight

auction - again, no big deal. As previously stated, most cars end up in auction these days.

Hard to answer your basic question on whether or not to buy the vehicle without knowing the asking price. We have a 2010 3.2 AWD and it has been a workhorse. No significant issues but it only has about 67K miles.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
See if you can take it on an extended test drive to make sure you like it. And take it to an Indy shop for a pre buy inspection. The best $100 you will ever spend. Our 12 XC60 just turned 25K and has been almost perfect (two CV boot replacement on front passenger wheel).

·
Registered
745 Posts
The electrical issue would bother me, also the fact that it has now had four owners with two owners holding the vehicle for less then a year each.

Also the fact that there are no service records from owner #2.

·
Registered
73 Posts
2010 with 4 owners and 100,000 miles Unless it was quite cheap or some rare model I wouldn't want a vehicle with that history.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
The electrical issue would bother me, also the fact that it has now had four owners with two owners holding the vehicle for less then a year each.

Also the fact that there are no service records from owner #2.
+1.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Need some suggestions from the XC60 owners out there!
Yesterday, I test drove a XC60 and it is a pleasant vehicle to drive around. However, the brake rotors were rusted (assuming its been on the lot for a while), and the dashboard shows that the car key batteries need to be replaced soon.

This car is a 2010 Volvo XC60 3.2 FWD with about 95,000 miles.........
Here are the RED FLAGS that I see-

First, four owners in less than six years is excessive. The first owner leased it, but why did the following three toss it around like a hot potato?

Second, how long did the first owner actually have it? If it was a lease, it should be for at least 24 months and more likely would be 36 months. Less than 24 months would concern me that it was repo'd from the first owner. If they couldn't afford to pay the lease payment, you have to wonder if they spent the money to change the oil adn perform basic maintenance.

Third, and this is thing that bothers me most, the Engine/powertrain computer/module has been reprogrammed twice! IT shows under Owner Two and Three. What probleml were they trying to solve and why did it not work the first time? Or did it work the first time only to return eventually?

What if the issue I just mentioned is the reason it keeps getting handed off and why no one keeps it long??? There is some reason that one of these owners hasn't kept it longer. Even two owners on a 2010 model would give me pause unless the first owner leased it, then it woold get logical that they turned it back in. .

My advice is to pass on this one and find another XC60 with a more stable owner history. It would be horrible if you bought thi one only to fidn that it useds a quart of oil every month or glitches in the PCM {Powertrain Control Module) that cause other issues. Or what if the Powertrain Control Module really needs to be replaced? It costs almost $1400 and it's well over $2k with installation.

There are other 2010 XC60s out there with red flags to raise concern. AS I said before, there's some reason that it has changed hands several times in a short period and it has to be pretty serious or one of them would probably fix it!

Did you test this on the freeway/highway and try to accelerate quickly to merge, etc.....? Personally, I think the 3.2L is inadequate for the XC60. Ive had two XC60s as rentals in the past few years- one was a 3.2 AWD and the other a T6 AWD. The difference bewteen the two was astounding! I actually asked for a 3.2 version the next few times I rented and got one on the second try. When I drove it after driving the T6, it felt like the parking brake was on- it was that much slower..

Just be very careful here and don't buy something that you'll regret. Before you buy ANYTHING, take it to a local mechanic (not one at the dealer) and have it thoroughly inspected! Most mechanics charge $50 or $75 for a thorough inspection from top to botttom. A lot of them won't even take the money when theyr'e done . It is well worth the money to avoid problems that coucld cost thousands if don't catch before you pay for it!

·
Registered
642 Posts
I'll put money on it using/losing oil. Run away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts