SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my lease expires on my Audi A6, I want a Volvo. I flucuate daily between an S60 with a 2.8T (can't find a T4 with a stick), the new S80 2002.5, a V70 and a V70 XC. I am leaning towards the V70 and the XC because I have 3 kids that go to athletic events, etc. Here is the thing:

I go to my local Volvo dealers. They say they don't stock the V70 with anything but the base engine. To get the 2.8T, I have to go to the XC. The XC is sort of funky looking, plus I have read some not-so-great reviews of it in terms of mechanical difficulties. Maybe these are the 2001 models and the 2002 are fine.

So, would anyone here recommend the V70 (if I can get a T4 or a 2.8T) or the XC? I read the review by someone named Darel on vwww.vvspy.com that apparently hates his V70 T4. Any opinions would be really appreciated.

I love Volvo, ever since my 240. Audi was a massive disappointment.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by TonyS6:
As my lease expires on my Audi A6, I want a Volvo. I flucuate daily between an S60 with a 2.8T (can't find a T4 with a stick), the new S80 2002.5, a V70 and a V70 XC. I am leaning towards the V70 and the XC because I have 3 kids that go to athletic events, etc. Here is the thing:

I go to my local Volvo dealers. They say they don't stock the V70 with anything but the base engine. To get the 2.8T, I have to go to the XC. The XC is sort of funky looking, plus I have read some not-so-great reviews of it in terms of mechanical difficulties. Maybe these are the 2001 models and the 2002 are fine.

So, would anyone here recommend the V70 (if I can get a T4 or a 2.8T) or the XC? I read the review by someone named Darel on vwww.vvspy.com that apparently hates his V70 T4. Any opinions would be really appreciated.

I love Volvo, ever since my 240. Audi was a massive disappointment.
Hi. First of all, I assume you are thinking about the 2.4T engine (low pressure turbo, 197HP). We do not have a "2.8T" engine. In addition to this, I would assume you may be considering the T5 not the T4. The T4 is a high pressure turbocharged 4-cyl. engine found in the S and V40s.

As far as "most dealers do not stock any V70s other than with the base engine", that is a crock of $#!t. I, personally, would not choose a base V70 although the car has respectable power. But drive a V70 2.4T or V70 T5 and you will fall in love! If you have 3 kids, go for the wagon, definitely. An S60 will be too small. The S80 is a nice thought but the V70 will give you a lot more at this stage. XC or V70? Depends what type of drive and/or handling you like. The V70 will ride a little quieter and give much sportier handling. I, personally, prefer that. The XC offers higher seating and...AWD! But you can get AWD in a V70 2.4T.

Reliability? Some 1998 and few 1999s had some problems with lightbulbs burning out prematurely, and very few AWDs had a "vibration" problem with the driveshaft. All that stuff have been eliminated and the 2001 models (and on) have been completely redesigned and reengineered.

Darrell had some issues with his V70 T5 but any car or any model will have some units where things can go wrong. Just go to BMW, AUdi, Saab, etc. forums (or fora) and you will see similar "ventings".

Good luck.

Yannis

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
With all respect to Darrell as he's a very knowledgeable guy and I mean no disrespect at all, but his car was a Lemon and bought back as such. Yes, there are lemons, but all companies have lemons.

The XC comes currently with a VC all wheel drive system, as does the new and hard to find V70 AWD. Both come with the 2.4T and automatic tranny with a feature that is effectively the same as Audi's tiptronic.

The T-5 is front wheel drive only. Personally, I think the 2.4T is a great motor, and if I were buying new, I'd consider it.

DSTC or ESP in Audi speak, is an option you may want to include. I don't know if it works with the VC AWD or not...though I seem to remember hearing that it didn't. If that's the case (Yannis please feel free to correct me), then it'd only be available on the V70 fwd models and not on the XC or AWD until they make the switch to Haldex in 2003.

Haldex, as you may recall, is the same awd system used in the TT. The version Volvo is using is a second generation, with a forged housing rather than a cast one like the TT uses. It's effectively the same system though, and argueably a better one than the Viscous Coupling setup used now on the XC. I'd expect them by next fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yannis:

I was just at my Volvo dealer. They carry no V70s other than the base. They did say that they could get one. I called another Volvo dealer and they actually had a V70 with a T5! So, you are correct. Rather than say it was a "crock of s**t!", let us just say that I was misinformed by the first Volvo dealer - who I plan not to do business with for giving me erroneous advice.

Thanks for your feedback. I haven't test driven the V70 with the T5 yet, but I prefer the sportier feel of the V70. I don't really like the wax-magnet black cladding either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
quote:

Originally posted by [email protected]:
With all respect to Darrell as he's a very knowledgeable guy and I mean no disrespect at all, but his car was a Lemon and bought back as such. Yes, there are lemons, but all companies have lemons.

The XC comes currently with a VC all wheel drive system, as does the new and hard to find V70 AWD. Both come with the 2.4T and automatic tranny with a feature that is effectively the same as Audi's tiptronic.

The T-5 is front wheel drive only. Personally, I think the 2.4T is a great motor, and if I were buying new, I'd consider it.

DSTC or ESP in Audi speak, is an option you may want to include. I don't know if it works with the VC AWD or not...though I seem to remember hearing that it didn't. If that's the case (Yannis please feel free to correct me), then it'd only be available on the V70 fwd models and not on the XC or AWD until they make the switch to Haldex in 2003.

Haldex, as you may recall, is the same awd system used in the TT. The version Volvo is using is a second generation, with a forged housing rather than a cast one like the TT uses. It's effectively the same system though, and argueably a better one than the Viscous Coupling setup used now on the XC. I'd expect them by next fall.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
George:

The plot thickens. I was looking at the XC and didn't like the cladding. I also heard that it doens't handle as well as the V70. Is AWD really an advantage? I have the A6 Quattro for the moment and never felt that it provide much other than extra weight. Also, would you prefer the 2.4T to the T5?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my XC for over a month now and love it. It is flexable for a parent/salesman/dog lover who is at the recycle center and home Depot twice a week. I looked at the 60 and 80 no room or versatility internally compared to the XC. I like sitting higher in a car, yet you do not have to climb into it. The plain 70 is just that, plain. My opinion good luck...

·
Registered
528 Posts
quote:

I read the review by someone named Darel on vwww.vvspy.com that apparently hates his V70 T4.
Hmmm. I guess that guy was me. But I'm not sure what "review" you're speaking of where I "hated" my V70. You'll find hundreds of my posts both here and on VVspy in support of these great cars. I actually loved my T5. I loved everything about it that worked right. My car had some serious flaws, however, and I was not fond of how VCNA dealt with me in my attempts to have them resolved. I did become soured on the whole deal because of those issues, unfortunately. But no, I never hated my T5.

And to answer the actual question you originally asked - I would absolutely choose a V70T5 over anything else you listed. It was certainly the perfect fit for my family at the time. And you must not live in CA. Here you can't find anything BUT the T5 motor, it seems.

Good luck,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Darrell:

I saw your website, then your cryptic remark about "being back" after you had gotten rid of the car. I assumed that you had some bad experiences with car (hence, I thought you hated it). I won't ask what went wrong - I just hope it was a 1-in-a-thousand fluke.

I grew up in California (northern, not southern). Hopefully, I can get my hands on a non-lemon V70 with a T5 without having to fly to California.

·
Registered
528 Posts
No harm, no foul.

quote:

I assumed that you had some bad experiences with car (hence, I thought you hated it).

Heck - I have some bad experiences with my wife too, but I still love her!

quote:

I won't ask what went wrong - I just hope it was a 1-in-a-thousand fluke.

Wouldn't take you long to figure it out if you were interested. I spent hours on it on the various boards over the past year...but I prefer not to go into it again of course. The good news is that for 2002, they've fixed just about all the problems that I was having. Many hardware and software changes have resulted in a more robust product. So, your chances of having any of the major problems I was having is quite small. Just don't come to Northern CA and buy a used 2001 V70T5 with a roof spoiler and no sunroof. It was sold to some poor slob around here - and I just cringe when I think about it.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Hey Darell,

Good to see you still around. How's the Odyssey?

Not to get off topic, but from an Odyssey owner's perspective, I'd love to know what you think of the new XC90.

Tony, regarding AWD. Where do you live and what conditions do you drive in. A FWD car with proper snow tires can do quite well, but there's always the added security and traction of AWD.

As for motor, again it depends on your needs. For a daily driver, and where I'm on a budget, the 2.4T would be enough. However, the T-5 (for now) is the daddy V70, the quickest and the most rare so if you are into that, well, it's worth getting also.

It is possible that there is an R model coming within about a year also. The S60R has basically been confirmed, and the V70R is all but... That'll be awd, and 300hp.

As for weight gain, haldex is like 150lbs.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Hi George -

BIG change of plans for me. The Odyssey never came in, and in the meantime, I fell into a lease that I've been chasing for seven years. I'm currently driving the world's highest performance EV, the EV1. There is a three-year waiting list for these cars that will never be filled. I put a truly ugly page together here: http://www.darelldd.com/ev1/ but at least it gives an idea. My favorite thing about this car? NO TRANSMISSION. At least not in the standard sense. It is direct-drive, with one gear ratio, and it is always coupled to the motor. Until you have experienced 100% torque at zero RPM, you haven't lived. This thing is a BLAST to drive. From zero to 80 it is a rocket ship. Not quite as much room as the V70
and nowhere near the freeway passing power of the T5, but I've been swept off my feet with electric power. I hope to never be without an EV again....but the future looks bleak.

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
When is your lease up? You could always buy a hybrid, or there's also those kits where you can convert a VW Rabbit or the like into an EV.

Congrats on the EV. Bet you can't carry as much around though huh?

·
Registered
528 Posts
It sucks that the lease is only for two years - and the rumor is that all these cars head to the crusher after this round of leasing (this is the second round - they were intended for three rounds of 3-year leases. But that turned into a 1.5 year lease, and a final 2-year lease).

Nope, sure can't carry as much crud with me, that's for sure. No more trailer hitch worries either!

A hybrid would be such a huge step backwards in performance (and pollution ironically) that I just can't see replacing an EV with one. Did I mention that my EV1 does 0-60 in 7.7 seconds? (I refrained from posting that in the "Post your 0-60 times here" thread) But we'll probably end up with a second-gen hybrid as the second car soon.

·
Registered
528 Posts
And George - I finally realized that I can tell you something about the X90! This shot http://vvspy.com/images/frontimages/p01_6718.jpg was taken where I lived during the first 30 years of my life. Mt. Tamalpias, Marin County, CA. I used to ride motorcycles there daily. They use the spot for TV commercials too - but they usually paint the grass to look greener.

Sure, it isn't an important fact - but it's the best I can do...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Once you drive the T5 you will be done. There is no turning back. The power is amazing and the feel is very solid. I thought it would be a problem having that much power in the front wheels, but it has worked out well. You may want to wait for the new XC90 that is due very soon. That will have a third row of seats and all the beni's of the XC now. In addition you can opt for the T6 engine with a whopping 272 ponies. Power, comfort, stability... seems like a nice package especially for a large family.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts