SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, although my son just traded his c70, im looking for a used sedan. I was looking at a bow 535 but the s90 caught my eye. I know the first year of any model is a crap shoot, so just asking, am i better off going to a 2018 or is a used high mileage 2017 worth a shot? i know its a tough question to answer, but some reviews for the 2017 were not great, thanks in advance

·
Registered
358 Posts
2017 is standard wheelbase. 2018 and above S90s are long wheelbase (5” longer I believe). Massive rear legroom if that’s a benefit to your family. It is to ours. I’m 6’-6” tall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: V70 Brad

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Some folks prefer the 2017 because it was the shorter wheelbase version so is not quite as long. Only complaints I heard of the early SPA cars were slow Sensus so make sure you're comfortable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I purchased a CPO 2017 S90 in early 2021 and have no regrets. I didn't want the added length of the 2018 and later years and the price I got on the 2017 with 25K miles was incredible. I absolutely love my car and would recommend it to anyone thinking of purchasing a luxury sedan. In my case, I was considering the BMW 5 series, the Mercedes E class, and the Lincoln Continental as alternatives to the S90 but I'm glad that I got the S90. If audio quality is important to you check one out that has the Bowers & Wilkins sound system. It is absolutely amazing and was a significant factor in me choosing the Volvo. The only knock I have on this vehicle or any Volvo is the lack of a dedicated button to get to the 360 degree camera. It is buried in the Sensus system which is beyond stupid in my opinion. My wife has an Acura RDX which has a dedicated button for the camera system that makes parking a breeze. Volvo should really follow suit.

·
Registered
53 Posts
T5s were available in 2017. I own one. After 3.5 years of ownership the only issue I have had is warped rotors. They are known to warp on 2017s. All four of mine were replaced under warranty at 4K miles.

Also it is possible to upgrade the safety systems on the car to be the same as later models via software updates if you are interested. They added a few additional features in later years. The updates were around $250. There are posts on this forum about the updates.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Are either CPO? That is worth a lot right there. Check the in-service date if they are. To me, the rear leg room on a S90 (2018+ L) is the whole reason to get a S90. Behind the steering wheel is where the driver sits, right, we all know that.
BUT, the opposite rear seat is where the OWNER sits! Those controls for the front seat, roof, windows, and all 3 peasant blockers are the coolest thing ever in a back seat. I get a kick out of driving my wife and daughter around, at times with them in the back seat.
The distance from the front seat's back, to the back seat's front is amazing.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I went with a CPO 2017 T6 Inscription. I did look at the 2018s but the extra rear leg room was not something I really needed. I also thought it would be that much more of a challenge to park in tight quarters. I would recommend a CPO car. Mine also has the B&W audio system which I LOVE. Drive one with the 20" wheels and 19" as well. Most have said the 20" do give a more rough ride over road surface that is not smooth.

The only issue I have had is the right steering wheel controls would sometimes not work. This was fixed under warranty and I have not had any problems since. The S90 is very good long distance cruiser, it is quite and well mannered at high speed (although could do with a little more suspension stiffness IMO).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I replaced my BMW 7-series (F01) with a 2017 S90 with air suspension and have been very happy with it. I had the active roll bars and rear wheel steering on the 7-series and it handled much better and generally was higher quality, but was also twice the price, got half the MPG and was a maintenance nightmare.

The reasons I've stayed with the 2017:
  • Last model year to be made in Sweden
  • Only model year with short wheelbase and sportier handling characteristics
  • Warranty change in November 2018 for CPOs, so some 2017s that are CPO have a 7yr/100k warranty
  • Early 2017 Inscriptions came with air suspension

I'd probably weigh the price versus maintenance cost of going with a 2017 and base it on the specific example you're looking at. I've owned/repaired many vehicles past 100k and can tell you that if you want it running and feeling good, you'll have to replace much of the suspension and steering ball joints, bushings and bearings by 100k. On my Audi A7, I had to do this by ~75k miles, but most cars start feeling sloppy closer to 100k or so unless you're running over potholes regularly. Then there's engine and transmission maintenance that can range from simple to extensive, depending on the vehicle. On the S/XC90, there are a few motor mounts I'd inspect and would definitely check out the turbo and supercharger. If the plugs, coils and injectors haven't been replaced, I'd plan for that...but, it's an inline 4 and not hard to do nor super expensive. Otherwise, Volvo's B4204xxx engines have a solid design and the major maintenance (e.g. - replacing timing and accessory belts) is due around 150k miles. My experience has been that service visits and parts have cost about half of their German competitors' costs.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The S90 is very good long distance cruiser, it is quite and well mannered at high speed (although could do with a little more suspension stiffness IMO).
This is pretty much fixed with the air suspension set to "dynamic". It makes a huge difference at higher (and very high) speeds IMO. I'm from Germany and I wouldn't want to ride an S90 on the Autobahn in "comfort" setting.

Don't know how it feels without the air suspension. But if it's closer to the "comfort" setting, I probably would do something about it (e.g. install a different suspension altogether).

·
Registered
920 Posts
I would buy 2018 for sure compare to 2017. As simple as Sensus is faster. More space and panoramic sunroof and price almost same as 2017.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I will never in my lifetime buy a car made in China, which is also why I'm looking at other makes to replace my S90. That's my personal preference, others are free to disagree and make their own choices.
Most cars in China now days build better than even in USA. Tesla that made in China 10x better build with less issue than the one build in USA. There no extra issues in 2018 s90 Than 2017 my Mother in law has 2017 s90 i had 2018 s90 they had Exact same issues. brakes ,steering wheel buttons , Leather on the dash pealing off etc. Made in China now is not same as it was even 5 years ago. Even quality of Chinses cars that only in China market/Russian/ Italian 10x better than in Benz or BMW etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most cars in China now days build better than even in USA. Tesla that made in China 10x better build with less issue than the one build in USA. There no extra issues in 2018 s90 Than 2017 my Mother in law has 2017 s90 i had 2018 s90 they had Exact same issues. brakes ,steering wheel buttons , Leather on the dash pealing off etc. Made in China now is not same as it was even 5 years ago. Even quality of Chinses cars that only in China market/Russian/ Italian 10x better than in Benz or BMW etc.
It's simple, I don't support China and am voting with my dollars. Again, you're free to do whatever you want to, but I choose not to support China.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, although my son just traded his c70, im looking for a used sedan. I was looking at a bow 535 but the s90 caught my eye. I know the first year of any model is a crap shoot, so just asking, am i better off going to a 2018 or is a used high mileage 2017 worth a shot? i know its a tough question to answer, but some reviews for the 2017 were not great, thanks in advance
I bought a S90 inscription W/polestar and $ 4 $ you cant beat it my brother has an Audi A8 and even he can’t believe how nice my car is.

·
Registered
2022 Alfa Romeo Giulai Veloce
97 Posts
It's simple, I don't support China and am voting with my dollars. Again, you're free to do whatever you want to, but I choose not to support China.
So it's a question of politics not perceived quality? That's 100% fair. Though it's pretty difficult to avoid things made in China these days. Phones, TVs, refrigerators, washing machines . . . most if not all of them have some connection to China.

Back to the OP's question - while the quicker Sensus system is definitely nicer, I find the 2018+ S90s to be a bit too long for my tastes, both from a looks and maneuverability standpoint. Also, the longer wheelbase isn't necessary for my family (the tallest person is 5'5").

·
Registered
106 Posts
I will never in my lifetime buy a car made in China, which is also why I'm looking at other makes to replace my S90. That's my personal preference, others are free to disagree and make their own choices.
I get it, I have similar "rules", but, since Volvo is owned by the Chinese, really what is the difference?
And I used the reasoning (excuse) that since I bought it CPO, it was already done and in the states, and my money went to local dealership, not the OEM.
I have not, and probably will not ever buy a Japanese car, I also included Germany in that personal rule, but I have owned a Crossfire and a SLK, but they did have the word "Chrysler" in the manufacturer.

·
Registered
2004 V70 T5M -- 2019 V90CC T6
2,822 Posts
I get it, I have similar "rules", but, since Volvo is owned by the Chinese, really what is the difference?
And I used the reasoning (excuse) that since I bought it CPO, it was already done and in the states, and my money went to local dealership, not the OEM.
I have not, and probably will not ever buy a Japanese car, I also included Germany in that personal rule, but I have owned a Crossfire and a SLK, but they did have the word "Chrysler" in the manufacturer.
And then you end up with with French, TATA, FCA, and GM cars. Great selection there lol

1 - 20 of 26 Posts