SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Would you buy a black optics package on the XC90?

• Yes, sign me up

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • No, I prefer the way the vehicle looks right now

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • No, I'm not willing to pay for cosmetic upgrades

Votes: 4 9.3%
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hypothetical question. But looking at the Inscription model, the one thing I dislike is the amount of chrome this car carries. Grille, window-surrounds, the side mouldings of the car, etc.

If Volvo offered something along the lines of the 'black optics' package that Audi has for some of its vehicles, would you check that box?

I'm imagining deleting all of the chrome elements on the car and replacing them with either body-colour or black equivalents. So a black grille and black grille surround, black front frames, black sill-plate, black window-surrounds on the sides, body-coloured side mouldings, body-coloured sill-plates on the back side, body-coloured or black rear-bumper coverplate, etc.

And of course, the package would be offered with black-coloured wheels.

So, if this were available, would you buy it? Is there a maximum price you'd be willing to pay?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I can't say that I'm not willing to pay anything for cosmetic upgrades, but I'm willing to pay so little that I might as well vote - not willing to pay for them. It would look nice though, good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The blacked out style looks great on a sports coupe or sedan, but seems so out of place on a 7 passenger SUV.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The blacked out style looks great on a sports coupe or sedan, but seems so out of place on a 7 passenger SUV.
I agree, it looks great on a sedan or coupe, but I don't think it's a bad look on a larger vehicle either. E.g., look at this older Audi with the package. I actually look at it in the opposite way, which is that a small amount of chrome trim which looks elegant on the smaller proportions of a sedan tends to look overly 'blingy' on the larger proportions of an SUV.

That said, I can certainly understand that this wouldn't necessarily appeal to everyone's tastes (nor need it...Baskin Robbins sells 31 flavours for a reason!)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The only thing I don't like about my 2016 XC90 T8 Inscription is the front grill. I think I prefer maybe something more like the momentum or R-series.

When I ordered my vehicle (May 2015) I opted to not get any of the styling kits (rugged luxury, etc.) -- IMO way too costly (over US $4,000) and at that time I couldn't even get any photos where I could compare visually what these looked like (versus the normal car build). What you are proposing could be something like these styling kits though ... but should be done at the factory versus port or dealer install. And if these options are really just a choice (like the three choices of inlays in the Inscription package) there shouldn't be any upcharge.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To each their own, but I'm not liking those 21"s blacked out like that, they look 'cheapened'.
I agree. I like the look of the rest of the car as they've done it, but I'd prefer they put the stock 20" matte black 5-spoke wheels on the car rather than paint the 21s as they've done.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Yes, sign me up! I would even order Inscription IF they had a package like that with more sporty wheel options like R-Design 22"! :cool: That's the main reason we went with R-Design!

·
Registered
361 Posts
NOPE! Different style for a different market.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't take delivery until Monday, however I just saw our Momentum+ at the dealer. As reflected in my signature it is ember black, with black headliner and the black double spoke alloy wheels and I must say that it looks sick. Several of the employees at the dealership said it was the best looking combo they had seen and preferred the exterior look with the black grill and lack of chrome to the Inscription. One of them suggested that look with the Inscription interior would be perfect.

I will post pictures when I pick it up next week.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't take delivery until Monday, however I just saw our Momentum+ at the dealer. As reflected in my signature it is ember black, with black headliner and the black double spoke alloy wheels and I must say that it looks sick. Several of the employees at the dealership said it was the best looking combo they had seen and preferred the exterior look with the black grill and lack of chrome to the Inscription. One of them suggested that look with the Inscription interior would be perfect.

I will post pictures when I pick it up next week.
Congrats! Look forward to seeing the pics.

That's basically how I'd spec'ed my Momentum+ originally (except I had blond seats and thus kept the blond headliner); same exterior as you. If I could have gotten the Inscription interior with the Momentum+ exterior, I would have been all over that!

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Were it mine, I'd just get it and do it myself with vinyl.

I've done the XC60 that way (for the most part). I haven't done the grill yet but the other trim? Yes. I even accented the wheels because I didn't like them the stock way.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Were it mine, I'd just get it and do it myself with vinyl.

I've done the XC60 that way (for the most part). I haven't done the grill yet but the other trim? Yes. I even accented the wheels because I didn't like them the stock way.
You raise an interesting question. Does Volvo make OEM parts available for purchase (not accessories but the actual underlying parts)?

E.g., presumably someone somewhere will end up in an incident that cracks the grille on their momentum+ and will need a replacement. Presumably Volvo makes these parts available. So in theory it'd be possible to swap out an inscription grille for the Momentum+ grille?

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
You raise an interesting question. Does Volvo make OEM parts available for purchase (not accessories but the actual underlying parts)?

E.g., presumably someone somewhere will end up in an incident that cracks the grille on their momentum+ and will need a replacement. Presumably Volvo makes these parts available. So in theory it'd be possible to swap out an inscription grille for the Momentum+ grille?
That is exactly what us 1st gen owners did! When Volvo moved to the large Iron Mark instead of the square, some of us switched out to the 2011+ grille. It used the same clip points, and I don't see why Volvo would change clip points between trim levels of the same year if they kept them the same for 7 years on the 1st gen. If the Inscription has a front emblem, it probably is not actually attached to the grille, but held on with clips and a plate on the back. You would then be able to switch the emblem over to the less chromed Momentum+ grille.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I would for the right price. My favorite suv is still the Durango (for my priorities), and Dodge came out with a "blacktop" option that basically blacks everything out. On the lower models, it's a $2k option since a lot of stuff is getting replaced, but on the top R/T model, it's only $300.

It would be nice if Volvo offered something similar. It's just different colored parts for the assembly worker to grab while building. IMO, Volvo is leaving money on the table not offering things like this.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I agree, Volvo should offer this black out option. Hopefully they are reading this forum and can see what some people want.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey this what I'm trying to achieve with our car. I asked about the side mirror covers for the R-design, if they have a black one and they said they can order a Onyx Black Metallic replacement cover for just $300+! YEEEEEEEESH! Where's my markers at? I think that'll do the job! :D

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Vinyl is much cheaper. You can pay someone to vinyl the mirrors for less than that likely.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts