SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Would You Be Mad if I did This to my S40?

3K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  MyNameIdeasWereTaken 
#1 ·
Would it anger you fellow drivers if I were to put an 'R' on my car's grille? I know it is a S40 and it has no upgrades yet but I would like to get some subtle appearance ques first:cool: Just got the car 5 weeks ago and I can't wait to start upgrading

What do you guys think? Acceptable:cool: or bad:rolleyes:?

#3 ·
Very BAD idea unless you like being an S60 wanna be +1

#7 ·
Thanks, now that I think about it, you are right. The R crowd is very aggressive and I can see one of them just plucking the R off of my grill when no one is looking...
I would like to buy those MIG caliper covers though with something witty. Im also looking for a nice License plate name that will be catchy and Volvo based :D

#10 ·
What matters is what you feel about the "R" . . .

If you think it makes it nice looking and upscale the image of your car as a sportier car than go for it. Who's going to care if your car pulls its weight in your neighborhood...
However if you think putting a "R" on your car is an acknowledgement to yourself that you've done some nice power upgrades than you might want to wait a little to feel better about it.

Do you think the new 2013 S60T5-R is faster than the new 2012 S60T6? or that a S40 R-design isn't capitalizing on "R" baggage? In the end only the driver knows what's under the hood and outside of your own knowledge and personal achievements everything else is just image and pretends... Have fun with it if you like!

my two cents :p

#11 ·
Ya might not have an actual R but ya still have T5. I didn't wanna put R on mine cause its pretty much stock so I just used what I had, a T5, even if its not as impressive as an R. Try something creative and different. I got my idea from the Audi S4 badge...but with a moose

#12 ·
I put RS logo's on my car. lol.

#14 ·
I wouldn't rip the R off, but I might leave a sticky note covering the R with T5 in bold sharpie. :D

I have to agree with Stefan about adding badges to a car. It's just not my thing*.

*Madden get's a pass due to the complete awesomeness of his V50. :p :beer:

#15 ·
I guess people are different. It certainly wouldn't anger me. If anything, it would make me chuckle ;)

In my younger days, I liked my first car to look more powerful than it was and wanted to put "performance" badges on it as well. I guess it was all about trying to impress :D

But for the last 15 years or so, it's been all about keeping it clean, classy and discreet, while still harnessing some decent power. My V50 T5 doesn't even have a V50 badge on it. All it says on the back is Volvo - no model or engine designation. Makes it look clean and will also fool some people from time to time, who thinks they can humiliate me :) Not that I road race a lot, but sometimes it's fun to surprise a cocky unsuspecting driver. About 260hp (BSR) and plenty torque for a car which doesn't weigh much, has had a few people raise their eyebrows.

Many car geeks do however smell what's cooking when they notice the xenons and the discreet dual exhausts.

So I would keep it clean. I'd save the money for some real performance upgrades like brakes, OBD tune, suspension, etc.

#17 ·
Why would you want to put on an R? It has nothing to do with your car. In that case why not put on a Z28.
Go for something fun, like a moose or one of the Swedish emblems.

#20 ·
My turn!

I say that an R is fine, BUT only if you've done things to it to make it faster than stock. If it's faster than an out of the box T5, then you could say it's an R edition S40. But otherwise, No. Don't pretend you have something you don't.

I have a similar opinion with debaging. You can't debadge until you've done enough to make the car more yours and less Volvo's. (but why wouldn't you be proud to drive a Volvo? You paid to drive one so sport that slash and amaze people that "THIS IS A VOLVO!")

Have you considered just going with an R-design badge? I've done enough with my car that I think I may put an Rdesign badge on. Heck, the people at the Volvo dealership thought that's what I had! I don't even have dynamic trim, I guess the spoiler, exhaust, and stance is what got them....

OR! Get some type R decals :D

#21 ·
it's your car bro. do what you want to it. if someone takes something off of your car...that's slimey.

@ sweetvee - that looks really good!

#24 ·
If you have an R design, I would leave it. Be proud of what you have, especially since those badges cost extra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.