SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
This thread should probably be moved to the 850 forum, but:

Yes, that is the kind of car I was talking about. $900 seems a fair price assuming it runs, but be prepared to do some maintenance and spend some time crawling the junkyard looking for cheap spare parts. Fun though, and cheap to insure and good gas mileage. Who knows if it will pass inspection in your area etc. but the price is right at least. And it appears to have a painted wagon spoiler.

You can do a couple very simple mods on non-turbo 850's with a manual. One is to switch out the throttle body plate for the Volvo 960 plate, which will give you a little more off-the-line torque, and the other is the Snabb short throw shift kit (about $60 if i remember correctly). Both can be installed with basic hand tools and will make the car a lot more sporty to drive.

As far as maintenance, the main thing a high-mile, $900 850 is going to need is suspension work. Shocks, bushings, springs, etc. are probably very soft. You might luck out at a junkyard and find a car with a nice set of shocks on it, then you can swap in the whole spring/shock assembly easily. Anti-sway bars from an 850 Turbo model are another cheap junkyard upgrade. But suspension components also come up for sale used on the forums all the time.

Yeah the R cars are a lot more to insure. Looks nice, but personally I'd hold out for an R wagon if you really want an 850R and are prepared to spend $3-5k buying one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I would also wait for an R wagon. Thanks for the info!:) Also in my area as long as the Cat light isn't on you pass inspection!:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts