SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my fair experience with body shops over the years and when my wife accidentally scratched up the side of our 2020 Inscription XC90 I figured that the paint repair/body work deserved to be done at the local dealer which is also, rather proudly, listed as a "Volvo Authorized Collision Repair" Center.

Went to pickup today and couldn't believe my eyes. Paint Drips, Air Bubbles, Paint Not Blended, Poorly Leveled, Deep Gauge in Paint Work... I was so shocked this wasn't a gypsy run fly by night body shop but an actual Volvo Dealership performing work like this! What in the world. I spoke to the assistant service manager who told me he would "make it right" and have "it ready by tomorrow morning". Is that even possible to give time paint to properly cure? What do you guys advise doing here?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vision care Automotive design
Hood Grille Automotive lighting Personal luxury car Bumper
Hood Automotive lighting Gas Electrical wiring Cable

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry man that looks like bad work.
Worst I've seen. This is a lease.. whatever the outcome (they say the resprayed) tomorrow when picking it back up, will be sure to keep a proper paper trail for lease return issues. Any other suggestions on how to get this done right. Wasn't using insurance for this repair.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At the end of the day you have to be satisfied with the work. Escalate to the manager if the rework is not up to your satisfaction.
They have lost my faith and definitely shouldn't be recommended as Volvo Certified. I will reserve the name of the dealer until final judgement tomorrow. Like I told the assistant manager, its unfortunate..the car didn't deserve this. Very disappointing that its being repaired this way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why.....they often have the newest equipment andthe most experience with that specific brand. I'm sure some may not be the best but.....the last place? Often times a dealer is also doing it's other brands like Porsche, Benze, Bentley, etc. Dealer is the first place I would go, and for this poster's exact reason.....your chance at having the work stood behind where you purchased the car or did service is virtually guaranteed.
Thanks, made me feel like not such an idiot here :) And yes, I can certainly rest easy knowing this is being handled at the dealer along with documentation this repair was performed at such dealer at lease trade in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Certified means nothing, it never has and never will. What you need to do is find a good detailer locally and ask them who they use for body work. Then contact the shop and make arrangements with Volvo, tell them the level of work isn't acceptable and will now being going to shop you are confident in.
I have another body shop that quoted me originally that also came highly recommended. They came in higher priced- but I guess we all know how this turned out.

So when it comes to the delear releasing the car to me I'm assuming they are going to want some sort of payment, how do think I should go around this? Gets a bit dicey when trying to go this route as they likely will push me off into a legal scenario to pursue it further I'm thinking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
If it is a lease, make the dealer give you a signed document with photos stating that is an acceptable repair and you will NOT be charged for damage when returning the car. Their reaction should be interesting :LOL:
Very much agree with this approach. Thanks mate!

Dealer sent me back an email with pictures and stated:

You will not be charged from Volvo for the repairs that have been made by us “

As an attorney, this won’t get me very far but I think it’s enough to satisfy Volvo Financial if it does become an issue at lease turn in.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would recommend that you give them one more chance to do the work properly. Outline all the issues you noticed, what your expectations are, and get the service manager (and GM if necessary) to agree that this is what they are going to do.
This is what the Redone work looks like..
Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Automotive tire Grille Hood Automotive lighting Tire
Tints and shades Automotive exterior Vehicle door Linens Shade
Automotive design Rectangle Automotive exterior Wood Silver
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Automotive design Material property

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Strange in looking over your first pass photos I was able to notice some spots where they didn't cover enough - it didn't look like it was a mis match, it was more of the same.
Thanks Brother. I know you feel my pain(T).
I thought the same. But what do you think really happened as a guess? They weren't transparent at all about what the heck they did. To me it looks like they just redid a layer of clear coat and possibly did paint because colors look uneven.

I will also say my car is usually butter smooth from my quick detailer but now every panel, especially the front door (not the one that was repaired) all feel like rough sandpaper. What's the deal with that? Clear coat overspray maybe?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts