SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

For years I have used the engine temperature gauge in my cars to do just that, 'gauge' when the engine has had time to warm up enough.
This is especially useful in winter, that I can comfortably and more safely feel free to accelerate harder (higher into the RPM range).

I wish Volvo at least made an engine temperature display or gauge available, via Sensus (software) e.g. to those who want it. It could be something that is disabled by default (if that is how Volvo wants it), that owners can enable at will.

As someone else suggested, this can also help to provide early warning signs (before overheating) in the event the car starts to heat up (temp above normal - center marking on gauge).

I heard Mazda, who also removed this gauge (among other manufacturers), at least had the sense to include a lighted / lit colored bar that turns different colors to indicate if the engine is cold or hot etc. (not sure if it shows the temperature via a progression of color / has 3 colors for cold, normal or cold or whether it just has two colors).

This, paddle shifters and a standard spare tire are the only things it is missing.
(Absolutely love this car so far)

Speaking of which, is the S60 spare tire the same for all models, including the S60 R-Design? I figured I could ask in this thread so as to save myself from creating a new thread for what should be an easy question to answer by someone commenting in this gauge thread.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
I would caution you from using the engine coolant temperature (the gauge that Volvo has historically displayed on pre-EUCD instrument clusters) to determine when the engine has fully warmed up. While coolant will indeed warm up rather quickly, the more important measure of a "warmed up engine" is the engine oil temperature. Engine coolant can warm up in a few minutes, whereas engine oil will take 5-6 miles of driving before it is at its optimal operating temperature.

While the gauge is gone, the engine coolant temperature is still monitored by the ECU, and a warning message will be displayed on the cluster if it exceeds a predefined threshold.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I would caution you from using the engine coolant temperature (the gauge that Volvo has historically displayed on pre-EUCD instrument clusters) to determine when the engine has fully warmed up. While coolant will indeed warm up rather quickly, the more important measure of a "warmed up engine" is the engine oil temperature. Engine coolant can warm up in a few minutes, whereas engine oil will take 5-6 miles of driving before it is at its optimal operating temperature.

While the gauge is gone, the engine coolant temperature is still monitored by the ECU, and a warning message will be displayed on the cluster if it exceeds a predefined threshold.
Don't all manufacturers use engine coolant temperature? Or is it just Volvo?

Either way, I try not to floor and rev the engine when I start the car. That is for all vehicles, as it's common sense...

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Don't all manufacturers use engine coolant temperature? Or is it just Volvo?
I know BMW uses an engine oil temp gauge, and I'm sure many others do too. This is the symbol for engine oil:

This is the symbol for engine coolant:

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I know BMW uses an engine oil temp gauge, and I'm sure many others do too. This is the symbol for engine oil:

This is the symbol for engine coolant:
Yes there are two different symbols for warning of overheating however I'm pretty sure every car that just has a generic "temperature gauge" is reading the coolant not oil temp. Oil temp gauges are just a rare additional gauge.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Yes there are two different symbols for warning of overheating however I'm pretty sure every car that just has a generic "temperature gauge" is reading the coolant not oil temp. Oil temp gauges are just a rare additional gauge.
My BMW 335is does have an oil temp gauge, as do other E90 3-series models.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is the one thing I don´t get about many recent cars (including some BMWs), why is it so hard to put a temp gauge? I understand that the engine´s computer will let me know if something is wrong, but when you have the gauge, you can determine if you need to stop and let the engine cool down without waiting for it to get into the "danger zone"

The other part I don´t get, is why are front fog lamps not needed anymore? Not that I really need them and rarely do I use them (where I live we rarely have fog) but just wondering if the LEDs are supposed to work as fog lamps? I see some Mercedes C Class have also changed the front fog lamps for a line of LEDs

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Just came here to say that this problem seems much more serious before you get into the forum...

Also, it's not that it's hard. It's that it clutters things up and most drivers don't use it. Did you know Jaguar is now in the habit of having panels covering the shift lock release so that people don't have to look at it. Because seeing that little button would make me go buy a Mercedes instead.

I found out yesterday my 2007 doesn't even appear to have a shift lock release.

·
Registered
176 Posts
LOL... you really made me laugh... but I guess it what "researchers" find when they do their marketing tests. I personally love the gauges (oil pressure, temp, voltimeter) on my old Mustangs, and I do use them... In all my previous Volvos I have wished they had a turbo pressure gauge so I can see the little needle go up and down when you press that gas pedal! RRR! None of them have it...

About the gauges... a friend just got a Mercedes C Class 200 compressor, and I loved the gauges with the color screen in the middle. The V60´s one is so boring because it has so little info in comparison

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
In all my previous Volvos I have wished they had a turbo pressure gauge so I can see the little needle go up and down when you press that gas pedal! RRR! None of them have it...
Yeah I miss that from my old dodge. IIRC Saab still incorporated a turbo gauge until their demise. I understand not wanting to clutter the instrument panel with a bunch of gauges that, in modern cars, will most likely always read normal but it can give drivers piece of mind and another diagnostic tool if a problem should arise. Since the displays on the x60's are dot-matrix they could have implemented a nice engine temp bar graph gauge (like the gas gauge) as a scroll option with the trip computer as well as other useful gauges like a voltmeter and turbo pressure. A simple software change to make more of their customer base happy. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
The new cluster on the V40 does have the "gauge" btw in case anyone's forgotten. It'll be here eventually.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Where is the OBD II port on the s60? I've been fumbling around below the steering column with no luck.

Storage for excess cable under the steering column!

·
Registered
11,927 Posts

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Good to know, thanks George! :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Here's a device that I'm currently trying out. It's a HUD (heads up display) with vehicle speed and RPM displayed. It will also display engine temp, volts and throttle position (for some reason) It connects via OBDII. It works pretty well although at times I can tell some data is missing as the RPMs are delayed on occasion. (This is such a simple device; why this is not standard equipment in every car I can't understand, especially one promoting safety) I primarily use it as a digital speedometer. I find the dash speedometer difficult to read at times in certain light conditions. Plus I find with the multitude of speed cameras in my area constantly looking down to check speed is another form of distracted driving. This came with a reflective sticker for the windshield but this image is only the device reflecting off the windshield which I think is good enough for my needs but does get washed out in sunlight. Using the reflective sticker will solve that problem and the double imaging.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
My BMW 335is does have an oil temp gauge, as do other E90 3-series models.
Not all of them do -- the 325/328/330 E90s have the useless "instantaneous MPG" gauge in that spot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts