SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove to work this morning, everything was fine. Shortly after I got here I remembered that I had forgotten something at home, so I went out an hour later and the car won't start. I used the clicker to unlock the door, but when I put the key in the ignition I get no power accesories, no click, nothing.

The LCD readout for the trip computer is cycling really odd numbers and the winter light is on, other than that nothing powers up.

Admittedly, I do have some 'battery fuzz' on my + battery terminal, so I scraped that off, made sure the terminals were tight (couldn't even budge them), tired again with the same results.

I'm going to get a ride home at lunch and borrow my roomates car and get a new battery, I hope that will solve matters. I do have a battery brush that I'll also be using, I've just been too lazy up to this point
Most of my driving is short trips (5-7 minutes), and I really never get into high RPMS so maybe I was just killing the battery never letting it get properly charged? I dunno. Anyone think it make be more serious than just the battery? I really hope it's not expensive, otherwise I'm going to flip out. Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Re: Won't start (dreesemonkey)

Yep, your battery is bound to fail with a routine like that. In fact your car really does not get an opportunity to heat the oil enough to purge the moisture from the crankcase...

The battery is without doubt the problem and everything should be fine once you install the new battery.

Okay, so I'm going to be bold and suggest that you take the longer route where ever you're going to allow the car a nice warm-up every now and again. Back in the day I had an 850 and <2-mile commute...I'd drive myself to a Starbucks a few extra miles away & and sit in the car with it running while consuming my coffee.
On the weekends I'd take the car on a long trip with friends to Annapolis to blow off the carbon and get it ready for another long week of short drives. The car had 264000 miles when I sold it in California some time ago and word has it...she's still running strong. So, do yourself a favor and get a coffee and take the long route in.

Cheers,
Prospero

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Won't start (Prospero)

Thanks for the fast reply! I'll be getting a new battery at lunch today and see if that fixes the problem. I still do longer trips, but the short trips are much more frequent.

I was hoping the weather would start getting better since it's spring, I have a motorcycle that I was hoping to do 75% of my commuting on, so that could soak up my short trips to work and the gym. That thing warms up in no time

I guess it's also my fault that I drive like a granny, the tach rarely gets above 3k. Coupled with ~2 mile commutes, I can see why it's unhappy. Thanks again
I'll try and alter my driving habbits until it gets warm enough to be riding the bike daily

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.