SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went out last night for my first extended drive with my 98 V70 T5-M after installing an 18T and bunch of other work to it a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that if I floored it in 3rd, I could hear what sounded to be my CBV releasing a couple of quick bursts around 15psi, then settling and allowing things to head up to 18-19psi. This only happens at WOT, and seems to work normally if I ease in to the boost through the 15psi range and then go back to WOT.

Here's a quick history of the mods: 2 weeks ago I installed a rebuilt 18T, along with a P2R manifold, IPD HD CBV (w/red spring), OBX DP, SAS hardware delete (turbo side of things) and an ARD Blue ECU. I drove that to and from work for a week and a half, but never had much of a chance to open it up and wanted to give the turbo a chance to break in so I wasn't pushing it much anyhow. Never noticed anything other than it didn't seem to have the same punch as the 16T, RICA stg.1, setup. I just assumed that the ARD tune built boost more smoothly though and didn't think much of it until last night.

Other than that, I installed the Snabb FMIC kit on Sunday (along with removing the SAS airpump), so I suppose that could also be an issue, but it didn't sputter and kick like I'd expect a boost leak would if it was venting to the atmosphere. I'm suspecting that the IPD CBV isn't holding since it sounds just as though I'm lifting on the throttle, even though my foot is still on the floor. I'm also suspicious of the IPD TCV (1st gen) that I have installed. I've read tidbits that they don't play well with higher than OEM boost applications, but didn't get a feel for the symptoms. Anyhow, I'm leaning towards the CBV, but am finding it odd that my 16T that ran similar boost levels with an OEM CBV never had any problems. I'm ready to order a Forge CBV or go to a BOV setup, but figured that I'd see if anyone had any suggestions beforehand.

I'm hoping to do a few pulls at a local dyno day on the 4th, so hopefully I can order any parts that I might need and get it sorted out before then.

Thanks in advance for any input or suggestions.

·
Registered
370 Posts
See if ipd will send you a gen 2 tcv and return yours, better before you spend more on other CBv setups

·
Registered
1998 V70 T5 with factory m56h; 18t, Green injectors, 50% e85
2,431 Posts
Is IPD exchanging the early TCVs for revised ones? Doesn't sound like IPD.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a quick email conversation with Brandon at IPD about the issue I was having and he's suggesting that I go to the newer TCV, but I'm certain that I'd be purchasing it, not exchanging it.

I'm also waiting to hear back from Lucky to see if he has any suggestions. I'm going to try some dataloging with my code scanner and see how that goes.

Does what I described sound like the symptoms of a blown CBV diaphragm? If it was easier to remove, I'd just pull it off and inspect it, but I figured that I might as well install something beefier if I'm already in there.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mostmodernglt, thanks for the suggestion. Looks like you were right.

I had a more thorough conversation with Brandon at IPD about things about why the CBV appears to still be functioning properly, but that the boost was dropping off somewhere else and the CBV was just reacting to it. I installed my OEM TCV back in the car and it did a similar hiccup, but at a lower boost level.

I'm currently gutting the new setup on the V70 and flipping it over to the S70 to sell the wagon. Long story, but basically a super clean 242 came up for sale a week after I installed everything. I'll buy a new TCV for the sedan and let the wagon go with the older IPD TCV in it. It'll be fine with the 16t at stock boost levels. I'll get a 2nd gen TCV for the S70 and see how that pans out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts